Question for those with -1 +2 520 mod

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
For those who have done the -1 front +2 rear 520 chain and sprocket mod, how many links did you end up needing for the chain?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock is 118 links.

The problem though, is that the new 520 chain links, are a few millimeters shorter than the 530 chain links.

Then when you add the different sprocket sizes, it doesn't help.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of chain are you looking into, brand?

Depending on the manufacture what lengths are offered? I would think no more that a 130...

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering this the other week. I got a 530 chain + steel sprocket set (-1 +2) and was pondering this. I got a 120 link chain and decided to leave it uncut. I will need to cut it soon once it stretches a bit and needs to be adjusted. You can always take links off, just can't really add any on.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey soviet,

Time for 20 Questions:D

Did you complete the sprocket mod and how do you like it?

Do you notice a big difference in pull and does the front come off the ground quicker in 1st gear?

Also did you try just the front sprocket before doing both front and rear, if so big difference with back done as well?

Last, Could you post up the products you ended up going with.

Sorry for all the questions but I have really strongly been thinking about doing this but I need some good info from someone who has already done it. Found some old threads but fresh info is the best!

Thank you.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished installing everything, about to take it for a test ride.
I also installed a new BT-016 rear tire so I have to take it easy for a while.

Rivet master links are a pain in the ass!

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
i had this done on mine (without the 520) and i did not like it! it made almost no difference on the front tire coming off and it sucked on the interstate. in 6th gear at about 80-90 MPH i was almost red lined out and the bike was very loud and unenjoyable. i put stock back on the front and for now still have the +2 done to the rear. it made it at least ridable for me. however i do still plan on putting the stock back on the rear as well.

ill put it this way. if you only drive short distances and like wheelies then yeah this is a decent mod. however if you enjoy riding long distances (over 45 minutes) at highway speeds i would suggest leaving it alone.

GlockDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished installing everything, about to take it for a test ride.
I also installed a new BT-016 rear tire so I have to take it easy for a while.

Rivet master links are a pain in the ass!

Ridden it yet?

I am considering the -1 front. But I think the +2 rear on top of that would be too much for my riding style.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode it for a little while today. It was too hot for a long ride.

The RPM's come up a lot quicker in any gear. 2nd gear feels a lot like 1st now, and 1st is dangerous. I wasn't even full throttle and the front wheel popped up around 20mph.

Acceleration is definitely improved, but I find myself shifting sooner and being at a higher RPM to get the same work done.
Shifting is a lot rougher and quicker, so if you're lazy with your shifts it will cost you.

I would not recommend this mod if you primarily commute or tour. But I would recommend this mod if all you care about is performance.

I used a renthal 15T front sprocket, Supersprox 48T rear, and RK 520GXW chain, bought from solomotoparts.com

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Speedo gets more and more off. Around 50 indicated, I was doing aobut 42. Going up to about 80 indicated, I was doing 70ish. Going 100 I was doing about 85 then Max out in 6th with 162 indicated, only doing about 140

It really isnt that bad highway traveling. Around 8krpms in 6th you are doing about 75mph. I love it for the inner city driving though and it is perfect on backroads.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually put in -15% into my speedohealer without calibrating it first.

The speeds seemed right. I still gotta use my GPS to get accurate readings.