Question for those who have done a Valve Check

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I am just about to check my valve clearance. In the shop manual it states that the fuel tank must be removed. Is this necessary, or can it simply be pulled back? Thanks for your help guys.

Jeremy

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't done a valve check on mine yet, but you should be able to get by with raising the tank on the rear bolt.

Perhaps secure the tank upwards (tied to the rear) to give a little more room where you'll be wrenching...

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up taking it completely off. It was actually really easy...took about 15 minutes and it made it much easier to work on. In my opinion well worth it.

Also for anyone who is questioning whether they should do a valve check...DO IT!!!! I did my check at 27,000 and I do NOT ride it hard and 6 of my 8 exhaust valves were out of spec (all my intake were in spec). I was really surprised at how bad mine were. So I hope this motivates you guys to do it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up taking it completely off. It was actually really easy...took about 15 minutes and it made it much easier to work on. In my opinion well worth it.

Also for anyone who is questioning whether they should do a valve check...DO IT!!!! I did my check at 27,000 and I do NOT ride it hard and 6 of my 8 exhaust valves were out of spec (all my intake were in spec). I was really surprised at how bad mine were. So I hope this motivates you guys to do it.

There are a couple of large threads regarding valve checks. I think you are the first member who has posted to find it out of limits.

I have 45,000 miles on my bike, and I have not had mine checked. Yeah, bad, my bike probably isn't running in tip top shape.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a quote from a local bike shop (non-dealer) for valve servicing. They said 4.5 hours labor for checking/inspection, 6 hours total if they needed adjusting. Labor is $90/hour. They suggested replacing the gaskets and rubber mounts...

full service 6 adjust/ 4.5 inspect
5SL-11193-00-00 GASKET, HEAD COVER $21.95
5EA-1111G-00-00 RUBBER, MOUNT $6.25 x 4 ($47)

Does this seem like it's in the ballpark?

Last edited:

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Vegas I know there have been a few that have had theirs out of spec. In fact I think you posted on those threads...I read as many of them as I could before starting this job. But they all just had one valve out unlike my six. As I said I was crazy surprised by my finding because I thought if only 2 members have had a single valve out, then I thought I was for sure in the clear because I am pretty easy on the bike.

I went to the dealer and asked them if there is any reason that this might have happened, especially since I don't rev it high very often and they told me each bike is different. Sometimes they have none out of spec, while others have all of them. They basically said it was the luck of the draw.

Vegas I know there are members who have gone over 50,000 and checked their valves a second time and still have none out of spec, but I just was wanting all the members to know that it is possible for our FZ6s to need valve adjustments.

Also I have taken everything apart and just got the new shims so I will be putting it back together tomorrow. It is a somewhat time consuming job, but actually very easy. All I needed was a 10mm and 12mm socket wrench, a 5 and 6mm allen wrench and a screwdriver to do all the dissassembly. It seems like a much more daunting task than it really is. I think almost anyone on this forum can do it. The biggest challenge will be facing the fear of doing it.