Question for handlebar risers 1" up and 1" back

marabej

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Excuse me for bad english.
Is here anyone with handlebar risers 1" up and 1" backward? How is feeling on long trips with such risers? Is wind a problem? Because with handlebar risers the body is more upright and theoretically the wind must be stronger?
My yamaha is fz6-N naked. The wind isn't problem until now, but I thinking about buying such handlebar risers.
I'm 185cm tall rider, and until now putted Buell lowered 1" footpegs. I want to mod my yamaha fz6 for trips 200-800km.

Last edited:

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Excuse me for bad english.
Is here anyone with handlebar risers 1" up and 1" backward? How is feeling on long trips with such risers? Is wind a problem? Because with handlebar risers the body is more upright and theoretically the wind must be stronger?
My yamaha is fz6-N naked. The wind isn't problem until now, but I thinking about buying such handlebar risers.
I'm 185cm tall rider, and until now putted Buell lowered 1" footpegs. I want to mod my yamaha fz6 for trips 200-800km.

I have sw motech risers inch back and up on my fz6n. I love them. I used to get a really bad pain in my shoulder after long motorway trips brut now it's gone. I tried riding without them recently and it really highlighted how much more comfortable it is with them on. Some have claimed the handling has been impaired and I personally have noticed no difference. Wind blast is ever so slightly worse but I use a TCP headlight cowling which makes the difference un noticeable. If your interested in doing long trips I would get some sort of cowling because it really helps especially over 80mph if you don't already have one. I've just come back from a 200 mile ride out two up mostly motorway and I feel like I could do it again if that helps!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 1" up, 1 & 3/8" back risers on a full faired FZ, with stock windshield.

I'm 5'8" and have no problem with the wind and as noted above, hadn't noticed any handling differences, just way more comfy to ride...:thumbup:

BTW, I originally tried just 1" risers, they helped but it wasn't enough, too much pressure on the arms leaning forward...

Last edited:

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you install these risers, do you have to buy longer brake lines, or is there some trick I don't know about? I have a pair that a friend was going to use on his FZ1, but he determined that he would need new brake lines to be able to install them. I tried them on mine and looks like I will have to do the same thing.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you install these risers, do you have to buy longer brake lines, or is there some trick I don't know about? I have a pair that a friend was going to use on his FZ1, but he determined that he would need new brake lines to be able to install them. I tried them on mine and looks like I will have to do the same thing.

Yeah I was worried about this problem too. on my FZ6n
I have a set of 1'up & 1" back Motech risers but I installed them only to find that there was strain on my throttle cables.
I bought Hel s/steel lines and had them made with an extra 1' in length on the longer line to the front brake caliper( I went with the original line configuration). I was wondering if there is a clip on the cables securing them to the frame that needs to be unclipped to provide some slack.
It seems that everyone with a faired FZ has no problem and I wondered if there were two different sets of cables, but then I checked the service manual and it seems that the cable routing on the naked goes through the frame on the rh side around/under the airbox and then to the throttle bodies, same sort of route for the clutch. On a Faired vesion the cables go directly on the left hand side of the frame/headstem so there is much more slack...
I answered my own question so if I want to do the riser install it will mean pulling the headlight off un hooking clutch and throttle cables and re-routing them. BUGGER

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the faired version, all the cables/lines WILL reach (with 1" up & 1 & 3/8" back).

The brake line lower clamp, (on the lower triple) had to modded slightly and I had to slightly re-clock the fitting to the master cylinder. My pic shows SS brake lines but originally I did have the stock brake line on..

As noted above routing of the cables as if it were a faired version is likely the key to making it fit..

Last edited:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 1" up, 1 & 3/8" back risers on a full faired FZ, with stock windshield.

I'm 5'8" and have no problem with the wind and as noted above, hadn't noticed any handling differences, just way more comfy to ride...:thumbup:

BTW, I originally tried just 1" risers, they helped but it wasn't enough, too much pressure on the arms leaning forward...

What's that mount you have that goes across the top.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What's that mount you have that goes across the top.

Its a homemade bracket to mount a Garmin 2300 GPS (removeable), aluminum, painted silver metallic to match the upper triple clamp. The half moon shape pointing towards the rider, is a mount to bolt on an older Garmin SPIII.

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a homemade bracket to mount a Garmin 2300 GPS (removeable), aluminum, painted silver metallic to match the upper triple clamp.

That is nice looking work.
Are those Gen Mar risers?
Also, it looks like you have an '07 or later. Were you required to eliminate the stock handlebar clamp thingy (the one piece thing with four holes for the handlebar clamp bolts and the tuning fork logo, part no 14 here) to fit the risers, or did you eliminate it to enable your GPS bracketry to fit?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is nice looking work.
Are those Gen Mar risers?
Also, it looks like you have an '07 or later. Were you required to eliminate the stock handlebar clamp thingy (the one piece thing with four holes for the handlebar clamp bolts and the tuning fork logo, part no 14 here) to fit the risers, or did you eliminate it to enable your GPS bracketry to fit?

The bracket bolts to the very front, are offset, I made aluminum spacers on the lathe to raise the homemade plate(you should be able to see in the below pic). The plate, if you look closely, is about 1/8" ABOVE the set backs. My spacers fit in the riser holes and allow that aluminum cross piece to bolt down as designed.

As for the Yamaha stock handlebar clamp, with the 2300 GPS, the Yamaha hold down would still work but I'd have to scroung up longer bolts to work as the NEW riser bolts are machined to be recessed in the risers. The stock Yamaha hold down bolts have a wide, built in "washer". As you can see, the "middle bolts" are much longer going thru the top clamp, riser, then into the upper triple clamp. If I took off the half moon (sticks out towards the rider), I'd loose the ability to mount the SP III but could put the Yamaha clamp back on (with two, longer front bolts)..

If they still had updates for the SPIII, I'd be using that as its waterproof. Not as easy to operate as the 2300 but MC specific... The 2300 is a car GPS and isn't waterproof...

And yes, they are Gen Mar risers, 1" up, 1 & 3/8" back...

The second picture is the most recent with a new, smaller, tapped hole, to mount the 2300 GPS bracket/mount. Both GPS's mount with one bolt and both are hardwired for easy, on/off... I set them as low as possible as not to hinder the view of the bikes gauges...

Last edited: