Question About Seats

mikexup

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering what the consensus is concerning seats and which one is best for someone over 6' and 230lbs. Let's keep it down to the most popular, Yamaha Comfort, Corbin and Top Sellerie. Appreciate any and all info on these seats.

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a Corbin seat from a fellow forum member. While I like the seat, I didn't realize it sits lower than stock. So if you're taller you might want to go a different route. (For reference, I'm 6'0")

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Corbin seats are not lower then stock. The seat you bought from a member was a custom made seat that was made to lower seat height. Corbin can make a seat to your specs.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have in my possession (don't tell the wife) a standard seat that's had the "Spencer" mod, a standard Corbin and a raised and lengthened Corbin !! Just for reference I am 6ft 6in and weigh the wrong side of 250lbs!!

• The Spencer is way more comfortable than the stock
  • The standard Corbin is a little more comfortable than the Spencer modded one. It's the same height as the original.
  • Haven't had a chance to ride with the modded Corbin, but it feels REAL GOOD sitting on the bike in the garage. Being raised it has a slightly strange look as the "hump" that stops you flying off backwards is almost non-existent.

One thing they don;t tell you about Corbin seats is that because they are real leather covers, if you don't treat them regularily (every other ride or so) with something like Lexol they are slicker than heck and make bumps and emergency stops really interesting!!

PS. One of the Corbins is going up for sale soon depending on which one is more comfortable if anyone is interested :)

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a second hand Corbin seat off eBay the other day and I love it. But not having used any others I can't comment on the rest. I have noticed that its much heavier than stock though and it's pretty slippery! Needs treating I suppose. Dan

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know where Texcollect got that tall Corbin ;) but today I just got my tall Top Sellerie! (I'm 6'5", 230) Tomorrow after the snow melts I'll be able to give you a comparison between the two. The Top Sellerie is made from the same material that the OEM is, the leather on the Corbin was very slick as Stuart mentioned (great for guys with narrow chicken strips, probably).

One warning for anyone getting a Top Sellerie: they pack the seat in very-finely cut-up foam rubber. When I saw it I carefully moved the box off the carpeting to the kitchen, and then carefully moved it out to the driveway. Sure wish I'd taken off my black sweater... :spank:

Hopefully someone can comment on the Sargent seats; they're a contender too.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
l'm still looking at maybe getting a seat, but top saddlery's site confused the crap outta me. About a week later, my local stealership had a used fz6 in with one on it. l know the sales manager there, so l grabbed a demo helmet and took it for a quick spin. The seat was way, way too soft, and had no support. so my question is:
Is there a firmness option?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 FZ6 with the stock seat, and ride over an hour to and from work every day, and the seat it fine.

Let's just say I weigh a bit more than 230lb - so maybe that's the key?

More Maccas!

Works for me!

Cheers,
Rick

mikexup

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a reason for me asking the question including Top Sellerie in the choices. I ordered and received a seat from Top Sellerie last week, total lack of quality control and workmanship. The seat arrived with nothing more than cardboard wrapped around it, (that was my first clue) it has not even the weight of the stock seat (second clue). After looking at the seat closely I noticed the stitching is already pulling away from the fabric on the sides and the staples have come out of the material on the front (third clue) Took all the rubber bumpers off the old seat and put them on new seat, it won't even sit on the bike right, it's raised in the back a inch, the pan is actually in a twist I think from the seat being made too tight. Emails and pictures were sent to Top Sellerie, no response, PayPal contacted and the appropriate response taken, they (Top Sellerie) then contacted me. Said they would send me a UPS label via email the same day so I could send the seat back (label never arrived) and they would make me another seat. I basically told them I didn't want them to build me another seat, just give me my money back. I can't believe they would send a seat to a customer in that type of condition, there must be absolutely no quality control. I told them I thought the seat was used, returned by someone else and then sold to me but they said that isn't the case. One way or another they will get the seat back and I don't want another one made by them. In the meantime I'm still waiting on the UPS label and saving all emails of correspondence.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Someone posted above about the Spencer's seat mod, it is another viable option. I'm 6'0" weighing in at 225 lbs on a good day. I had this done last year and an VERY happy with it. I had intended on sending it back to have the front raised a bit (fell like I'm sliding toward the tank a bit), but when riding with over-pants over the winter this wasn't that case. Now that the weather has warmed up I'm back in jeans and notice it a little. Adjusting my riding position back a little made the problem almost non-existent.

For a $100 seat mod I can't complain, it's a lot more comfortable. With the stock seat, after an hour or so I was getting sore. After the seat mod, BlueMoon and I rode to Tennessee last year and I was fine being on the bike pretty much all day.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a reason for me asking the question including Top Sellerie in the choices. I ordered and received a seat from Top Sellerie last week, total lack of quality control and workmanship. The seat arrived with nothing more than cardboard wrapped around it, (that was my first clue) it has not even the weight of the stock seat (second clue). After looking at the seat closely I noticed the stitching is already pulling away from the fabric on the sides and the staples have come out of the material on the front (third clue) Took all the rubber bumpers off the old seat and put them on new seat, it won't even sit on the bike right, it's raised in the back a inch, the pan is actually in a twist I think from the seat being made too tight. Emails and pictures were sent to Top Sellerie, no response, PayPal contacted and the appropriate response taken, they (Top Sellerie) then contacted me. Said they would send me a UPS label via email the same day so I could send the seat back (label never arrived) and they would make me another seat. I basically told them I didn't want them to build me another seat, just give me my money back. I can't believe they would send a seat to a customer in that type of condition, there must be absolutely no quality control. I told them I thought the seat was used, returned by someone else and then sold to me but they said that isn't the case. One way or another they will get the seat back and I don't want another one made by them. In the meantime I'm still waiting on the UPS label and saving all emails of correspondence.
This surprises me. Mine arrived yesterday, and it was well-packed, stitching is fine, and I see no problems with it. Haven't fitted it to the bike yet, I'll keep you guys posted... :confused:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I live/ride in Texas another thing I have noticed is that with my spencer modded seat I still feel a lot of heat coming through the seat for the exhaust, but since the Corbins use their own (more substantial) base there is no heat transferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk