Question about bar ends

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to find an alternative to bar end weights since they are too expensive IMO (especially for the ones that include slots for mounting bar end mirrors to). So, I've been thinking about filling my aftermarket handlebar with something to weigh it down. I opted to file down the nubs rather than drill holes, so my handlebar has no holes in it at all.

My question is this, HVMP lists their bar ends as being 14.2 oz for the heavy weights or 17.9 oz for the extra heavy weights. Is that 14.2 oz per side, or 14.2 oz for both sides (both bar ends weighed together)?

I'm just trying to get an idea so I can get some good alternatives to bar ends. I've been thinking about using BBs or fishing weights. I'm not too keen on the idea of using sand, since I think it wouldn't weigh enough and it would be messy.

Anyone have any other ideas?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to find an alternative to bar end weights since they are too expensive IMO (especially for the ones that include slots for mounting bar end mirrors to). So, I've been thinking about filling my aftermarket handlebar with something to weigh it down. I opted to file down the nubs rather than drill holes, so my handlebar has no holes in it at all.

My question is this, HVMP lists their bar ends as being 14.2 oz for the heavy weights or 17.9 oz for the extra heavy weights. Is that 14.2 oz per side, or 14.2 oz for both sides (both bar ends weighed together)?

I'm just trying to get an idea so I can get some good alternatives to bar ends. I've been thinking about using BBs or fishing weights. I'm not too keen on the idea of using sand, since I think it wouldn't weigh enough and it would be messy.

Anyone have any other ideas?

The HVMP for FZ6 comes in one size: 17.6oz (one bar end)

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I no longer have the stock FZ6 handlebar, but that still answers my question. A little over a pound a piece, huh? I guess I'll need to find something that weighs as much as possible to emulate the weight of those bar ends.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to consider purchasing a Throttlemeister. They come with an option of a heavier bar end, I think. It's a nice option to have if you ever find yourself on a long ride and your right hand, wrist or arm gets tired.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen other people on the forum suggest this stuff!

Barsnake.com ©2010 Barsnake LLC

Yeah, I saw that somewhere, and I'm just not convinced that it would help a lot. Plus, a barsnake is just as expensive as bar ends, so if I do that I might as well just get new bar ends.

I'll have to do some research on a Throttlemeister.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Eh, Throttlemeister would be awesome to have, but it's expensive, too. I also couldn't find an application for universal 7/8" bars on their website. It'd be nice to have a cruise control function, though.

HVMP

Reaction score
Visit site
Eh, Throttlemeister would be awesome to have, but it's expensive, too. I also couldn't find an application for universal 7/8" bars on their website. It'd be nice to have a cruise control function, though.

I'm not giving you the hard sell but HVMP has universal bar end weights that are really heavy and will fit 7/8" steel handlebars. :)

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, HVMP! Do you have anything that I could use bar end mirrors with? I have seen a few people here on this forum recommend your bar ends, and I would love to have some, but they just aren't in my budget right now.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually ended up using BBs. I do notice a slight difference and it definitely helps, but I may end up just getting a throttlemeister at some point for the cruise control-like setup and the weight.

I didn't get the weird feel in my hands on my last long ride like I used to when I had more vibration. I was, however, using thicker gloves so that may have helped as well.