Puig windscreen?

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I really loving my new FZ6 except for the buffeting from the screen. It is not nearly as calm as my '08 Ninja 250R. I searched the forum and people seem split on the merits of the Puig racing screen. The Yamaha touring screen is another option but sells for more.

I am also torn between clear and light smoke. I had a ZG DB in dark smoke on the Ninja and hated how dirty it looked all the time. Also, the FZ6 is already black and I want to avoid the "none more black" look.

I am 6'1" and don't want a full-on touring screen. I just want to calm things down a bit but still be able to bend a bit to get into calm air. Thoughts?

Tim

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6 foot and replaced the stock screen with the puig double bubble one recently. Pics on http://bikerhux.blogspot.com/2009/05/double-bubble-action.html .

With the stock one the wind hit me in the throat whereas with the new one it hits the helmet or higher. Vast improvement.

It's the light smoke version and you should be able to see on the pics how dark that is. The guy I got mine off on ebay (bs-motoparts-uk) does them in several colours depending on what takes your fancy.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I never had the Puig, but I did cut down the stocker and MAN what a difference.
If you want to reduce wind hitting you, then a taller screen is what you're looking for. But if you want to stop turbulance, cutting the stocker is a great way to do that.
With the shorter stocker the wind hits you in the chest, and the air hitting the helmet is smooth.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6 foot and replaced the stock screen with the puig double bubble one recently. Pics on http://bikerhux.blogspot.com/2009/05/double-bubble-action.html .

With the stock one the wind hit me in the throat whereas with the new one it hits the helmet or higher. Vast improvement.

I'm 6'5" and that's my experience exactly. As a matter of fact, I considered switching back and painting the stock screen, 'cause the Puif dub-bub started looking a little tall to me. Before bothering to paint, i went on back-to-back rides with Puig and stock. The Puig is staying! Big difference for me.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'1 and the stock screen caused helmet buffeting. It was eliminated once I put on the Puig windscreen on. I've enjoyed it ever since.

ArmyDocInTraining

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6' 3''. I have the stock screen. The wind from the screen hits me perfectly at my lower chest. If I were to get a larger screen it would hit my helmet and that would suck. Check out the Cal Sci if you want the wind to go over your head

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6' 3''. I have the stock screen. The wind from the screen hits me perfectly at my lower chest. If I were to get a larger screen it would hit my helmet and that would suck. Check out the Cal Sci if you want the wind to go over your head

No Cal Sci's for an '06. I'm considering putting the stock screen on for my next trip.

Postal1979

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put a Puig DB Racing Dark Smoke screen on mine. I had mixed reviews on it. I'm 6'3". Also have a Fz1 bar mod. Stock screen hit me in the chest and the Puig hits my helmet right at the visor so a little wind gets knocked down, but most gets pushed up and over. At first I didnt like it, but now after riding a few weeks with it on I love it. Also if I tuck in all the wind totally blows over.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put a Puig DB Racing Dark Smoke screen on mine. I had mixed reviews on it. I'm 6'3". Also have a Fz1 bar mod. Stock screen hit me in the chest and the Puig hits my helmet right at the visor so a little wind gets knocked down, but most gets pushed up and over. At first I didnt like it, but now after riding a few weeks with it on I love it. Also if I tuck in all the wind totally blows over.

+1 including the bar mod.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess turbulence is what I am trying to reduce. Using my hand I feel wind hitting me around my neck. In Summer I like some air but not so much in colder temps. I'm just surprised how much buffeting and noise there is as compared to my little Ninja 250R. Cee Bailey suggests getting one 9" taller than stock for a six footer. Man, I don't want my FZ6 to look like some cruiser behind a wall of Plexiglas!

I prefer the look of stock or maybe a clear Puig but I read so much saying the aftermarket screens really don't help I'm not sure what to do. Guess I'll sit tight for a while. Maybe get a Cee Bailey mid-size for cold months and keep the stock for hot and steamy days.

Tim

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess turbulence is what I am trying to reduce. Using my hand I feel wind hitting me around my neck.
Tim

Stock put a bunch or turbulence right at my throat. Very uncomfortable. Puig racing dub-bub moved the wind toward the top of my helmet, but the real key is how much cleaner the wind was. Wind, yes, but virtually no turbulence. Over the weekend I tried switching back to see if it was my imagination justifying the expense. Absolutely not. So for this 6'5" rider, I'm sticking with my Puig.

I should also note that mine is an '07 model. I think '06 and earlier Puigs had considerably more mixed results.

Last edited:

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
Weird as it sounds I have found (accidentally) that a jacket with a taller collar and/or a neck warmer seems to take the intense-boomy-torture-chamber-HJC helmet+stock-windscreen effect and reduce it to a tolerable level for me (5'6"). I might look like a goof but I don't care. :D