Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Old school gsxrs had flat sides the 750? I recon you could even modify it to fit the tdm900 fuel injection system with enough time and fiddling I would replace the rod with all the peformace stuff you are doing. How many km has that rod done? 100,000? And now you want to put it up to the task of more power then ever before. Just think that little end has done all those km.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Old school gsxrs had flat sides the 750? I recon you could even modify it to fit the tdm900 fuel injection system with enough time and fiddling I would replace the rod with all the peformace stuff you are doing. How many km has that rod done? 100,000? And now you want to put it up to the task of more power then ever before. Just think that little end has done all those km.

This motor was only 25000 km's old! The other rod looks like new!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Ok, well it's been a while since i updated everyone on this project, and it is now a lot further advanced, in fact, i am about 2 weeks away from having the bike back on the road.

I have a complete rolling chassis, only thing's that are missing and the Motor, and the Exhaust system.

The motor re-build is about 2 weeks away from being finished, and apart from the exhaust is the last piece in the puzzle...so to speak, apart from tuning the bike, once it's all back together, and full of all required fluids, etc...

Now, the motor...Ok, this is the final "spec" for the motor,

All parts OEM other than where specified.
New Crankshaft.
New big end & main bearings.
1 New Rod.
New Camchain.
New 1mm overbore pistons.
New piston rings, gudgion pins, etc.
Aftermarket complete Gasket & Seal set from Germany.
OEM Yamaha 1mm Overbore Pistons
Camshafts sent to Ivan Tighe camshafts for a bit of "black magic" re duration, and lift etc...regrind...

That's the parts....

Now, here is the good stuff, the engine mods...

Obviously, oversized pistons, which bring the engine capacity up to about 868cc i think?
Then the Head is being poilshed and ported, with a valve grind, and a bit of work done on raising the compression ratio, along with the camshaft work...

So the top end rebuild is all about gaining better performance, and freeing up some hidden horsepower...

The bottom end re-build is a just a standard rebuild...nothing special being done to the crankshaft...

The motor is also being given a visual facelift, with the rocker cover, Oil Sump, and Cluch Cover insert all being refinished as brushed metal, and the rest of the motor is being painted a low sheen, satin black...not a matte, but not a gloss, a satin! (I had to be very specific about this!!!), so the motor should look new, like the rest of the bike!!!

Then the exhaust system is being fabricated from mild steel, with 41mm, 44mm oversized headers, exiting into a single shorty GYTR race pipe on the right hand side of the bike...the GYTR race pipe is 50mm in diameter.

This is a change from a 38mm OEM header, with a 2 into 2 pipe arrangement, with two long cans exiting from either side of the bike.

I am also getting a baffle made up for the GYTR pipe, cause i suspect with such increased breathing, the bike is gong to be pretty loud....it was before with the twin unbaffled Staintune pipes...so with a single shorty pipe, of increased bore, in mild steel, it's going to be loud! So ceramic coating on the inside and outside of the headers, and a baffle, for normal street use, will be used to calm the noise a bit.

All this, coupled with a new K&N airfilter, reconditioned, and dynotuned carb's, we are looking for a final output of somewhere near, or hopefully a little bit over 100hp at the rear wheel, which would be a a big leap from the 80hp that is on tap in OEM form.

This coupled with a massive weight reduction in weight, removing the big, old, heavy headers and twin exhaust pipes, and going to the lightweight 2 into mild steel, and short, ali GYTR pipe, there is a weight saving of about 14kg's, or something stupid like that.

I have recently put a new solid black racing screen on the bike.

Repaired the mirrors, and re-painted them Satin Bumper black....they look better than new IMHO!

Replaced front aftermarket flush mount indicators, and rear OEM indicators, with matching Oxford LED stick indicators, in a diamond shape design, which suits the bike era very nicely....i also painted these indicators the same satin bumper black as the mirrors.

The underseat tray, which pokes out under the rear seat unit, and becomes the rear fender & number plate holder, has also been painted in the same satin bumper black as all of the above, as has the Front sprocket guard, and OEM chainguard.

I also modified (with a fair bit of brainstorming help from Mikey), a Carbon Fibre R6 03 front fender....looks schmick! :D

I have had both the Rider & Pillion Seat Recovered, in black, leather look vinyl.

The Renthal 40t (+1) rear sprocket is sitting there ready to take the DID gold & black chain...

All new cables are now on the bike..clutch & throttle...

Replaced all the instrument panel globes with LED replacements....3 of the 8 were blown anyway....

At the moment, the bike is sitting on the bench in my shed, with a motor in it....not the one that is going into the bike, but another "spare' motor i have for the bike, sorta came with it, it's had a big end failure as well....in fact it is the bikes original motor...the lump i am fixing is the third motor i think....anyway, this i put in the bike tonight, so that i could send the bike off to the exhaust fabricator to get him to fit up the headers, and GYTR pipe....once he has done this, i will drop this motor out, take the bike and exhaust system to the shop that is building the motor, and get them to fit the rebuilt motor up with the new exhaust, so they can then start the bike, run the bike, put the bike on the dyno, and tune the bike....this as i said at the start of this post, should happen hopefully within about 2 weeks!!!!

No more photo's, i am gonna let ya's hang out till i have got the bike on the road, and i have got the final hp and torque figures, and exact specifications of the engine mods....

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

nearly finished.....about 10 days away! :rockon:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site

Much as pains me to admit it, you're right to withold pics until it's done. Man I cannot wait.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Much as pains me to admit it, you're right to withold pics until it's done. Man I cannot wait.

Lol! Even if i wanted to pist pic's now, i could'nt, the bike is at the exhaust fabricator's....motor should be in and tuned within a week or so...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have had a few sneak peeks & believe me when I tell you , its worth the weight :thumbup: :drool:... Seriously cant wait for a video of it though :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have had a few sneak peeks & believe me when I tell you , its worth the weight :thumbup: :drool:... Seriously cant wait for a video of it though :D

Worth the weight???? It's actually very bloody light....when i wheel it around, i cant believe how light it feels, ok, it might not have headers hanging off it, and no fluid's onboard, but i know it's going to be at least 15kg's lighter than the 190kg dry weight that is the bike in OEM spec...

When it is "finished", it will still need a paintjob, even if just to touch up the tank, but i am leaving that till after the summer riding season is done, about April next year...

As for a video....I think the Dyno map is the thing i am most looking forward too...

Engine work being done to increase performance is SIGNIFICANT!

Saw my "New" cams yesterday....and the cost of the job to modify them.... $997! Ouch!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, yesterday i got a call from the guy's re-building my motor....it seems the valves that were re-ground, are stuffed....it seems that they have been re-ground before, and as such, they dont fit up properly anymore....result equals, 10 brand new OEM Yamaha Valves....cost = lots!

Worst part is, the valves are a back order item from Japan...this will add at least 2 weeks to the rebuild time!

:(

Oh well, at least i will know that the engine is tip top....aint much left to replace....once again!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I can't take the waiting anymore!!!

Lol! Imagine how I feel! Have done everything that I needed to do with the bike, finally sent the thing away to let the 3rd parties involved, do what they have been employed to get sorted...ever since, I have been like a parent who has just sent their child away....stressing, waiting for the return, etc...

Is made worse by the fact that I know that with the amount of planning, work, and attention to detail, that when it's done, it will be a very very good thing!

Jumping out of my skin to jump aboard and ride the thing!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well that just sucks bullocks mate :( In one way its great they found it now but man I want to see this bike finished already :thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site

it simply sucks when your plans (and budgets) go south! i m sure you ll enjoy it more when the thing is finally ready:thumbup:

Tiger Eyes

Reaction score
Visit site

My first real bike was a TRX 850 Black with belly pan and black frame she was my extra marital affair so to speak. I left her in the UK and regret not bringing her back to Aus with me. Mods I would do again - R1 forks and brakes fuel injection from the TDM 900. I had smaller indicators and as far as I thought it was an awesome look from factory

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well that just sucks bullocks mate :( In one way its great they found it now but man I want to see this bike finished already :thumbup:

Yeah, the attention to detail from the engine builder has been excellent...they know how "anal" i am about anything that get's done to the bike, and as such, have treated the re-build/ modifications with the upmost of attention to detail...is worth the wait...

it simply sucks when your plans (and budgets) go south! i m sure you ll enjoy it more when the thing is finally ready:thumbup:

Well, when i am done, i would of spent over $11000!!!!! The top market value for a TRX in Oz, is $8000 at the very most! So it looks like i will be holding onto the bike for a long time, at least until such time as the collectability reaches a point where prices match my investment...which they will, one day, cause there are not many TRX's around, they are very desirable, and there are even less areound that have not been butchered....so in a few years i will have a very very clean, well maintained TRX, that will be at the top of the secondhand collectors market...i hope...well that's the plan anyway...

My first real bike was a TRX 850 Black with belly pan and black frame she was my extra marital affair so to speak. I left her in the UK and regret not bringing her back to Aus with me. Mods I would do again - R1 forks and brakes fuel injection from the TDM 900. I had smaller indicators and as far as I thought it was an awesome look from factory

I thought of upgrading the forks, but the forks on the bike, were just about the only thing that was in good condition, as they had just been recently re-built with Racetech springs, etc, so i want to see how the thing handles with the OEM suspension, all working properly, like it should, now that i have re-built rear shock, replaced swingarm pivot bearing, head bearing's, etc....and put some decent rubber on the bike...

But if it shows signs of being a bit "spindly", or soft, i will look at a R1 fork conversion a bit later down the teack...

As for Fuel injection from a TDM....is that a hard modification to carry out, aint heard of that before with the TRX...

And your right, the TRX looks great straight from the Factory...especially in Japanese import styling's....white frame, red bodywork, and black motor....

The only TRX's that ever had a black motor as OEM, were the Japanese imports from 1995...This bike is one of those Japanese imports...

Frame & engine number's (on original black motor i have as a spare motor) suggests that this was bike was 16th bike off the factory floor...

Tiger Eyes

Reaction score
Visit site

I agree the EFI from TDM is a tough conv. took about 6 months to get it totally sorted but cold starting issues (bearing in mind we are talking winter UK and parked outside) with carbs was really something that was a pain. IT did involve a modified TDM head and a fair amount of cash (none of it was done by me) - hence the extra marital affair comment haha.
Actually told my wife about what I said on here and got that look that suggested I should go outside and shake myself. Still I thought it was worth it.

Dave

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree the EFI from TDM is a tough conv. took about 6 months to get it totally sorted but cold starting issues (bearing in mind we are talking winter UK and parked outside) with carbs was really something that was a pain. IT did involve a modified TDM head and a fair amount of cash (none of it was done by me) - hence the extra marital affair comment haha.
Actually told my wife about what I said on here and got that look that suggested I should go outside and shake myself. Still I thought it was worth it.

Dave

The Guy i bought my TRX off, (a good friend), reckons that i will "love" this bike, he reckons his ownership was like an "Affair"!!! LOL!

As for the fuel injection mod's....considering i have just spent a king's ransom on the head of the motor, that is being re-built, i doubt whether i would entertain the thoughts of playing around with it again, to convert to fuel injection, any time soon.

The carbies have just been completely rebuilt, and hopefully with a dynotune, including stage 2 carbie kit fitted, i shouldnt have too many issues with that stuff, especially considering i am a big wuss these days, and tend to avoid riding in cold weather, i reckon i might be ok....but having lived in England, i can imagine how more attractive fuel injection would be...

Thanks for getting in on the conversation by the way, and sharing your thoughts, and experiences.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: