Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

I spoke to my painter today, we both decided that we should do the racing stripe like on the 50th aniversary bike...just the top one, on the front nose fairing, the tank, and the seat unit...except with the red where the white is on the GP bike, and the white wear the red is, so "reversed".

View attachment 36675

Basically the stripe that runs from front to back...wont bother with the number 1! just the paint design.

:thumbup:

:drool: :drool: :drool: Cant wait for the finished product , im getting excited :cheer: :D

re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Yay!! My choice wins. Going to look so sexy when it's done :drool::drool:

Yay!! My choice wins. Going to look so sexy when it's done :drool::drool:

I reckon it's going to look amazing...that "stripe" will fit in perfectly with the lines on the TRX tank, and seat unit....my painter is excited, and that's a good thing, as i think he see's the possibility of more publicity for his work.

Cause he knows exactly what i have planned for this bike before i finish it, and then, i guess i will try and hunt down a magazine or 2, that might feature the bike....

Well, i have moved a little bit further forward with this bike....my new grips, and swingarm race stand pick up's have both arrived, and yesterday, i went and bought a new set of mini LED rear indicators (oxford)....

the indicators are a huge improvement over the OEM indicators, which were old, very large, and very daggy!

here's a couple pic's....
View attachment 36851

View attachment 36852

Motor is still away being re-built, and i am still trying to get to Melbourne to pick up fairing's, etc....

Other things on order, a new petrol cap, front brake reservoir sock, rear passenger footpegs, XJR1200 LED tail light, DID X ring chain, Renthal rear sprocket, radial mounted front brake master cylinder, and brake lever...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Just found out that the Cam's i want to put in the motor, are available, and mine to have!!!! :rockon:

If i get you a genuine canadian maple tree and possibly a case of any canadian beer, will you trade???

If i get you a genuine canadian maple tree and possibly a case of any canadian beer, will you trade???

Lol.....if you wanna pay me for the 100's of hours put into this project already! I reckon i have put in about 200 hours so far, and Mikey at least 50 hours as well!

Molson....i used to drink that when i lived in London! Cant remember which one....and do you get maple syrup from Maple tree's...cause if you do, i am tempted! ;)

Course you get maple syrup from the trees. I was offering something you can't get in Australia for something I can't get in Canada!

All jokes aside, I envy your work ethic. You have turned this bike from an ugly mess to a piece of art work. It is beautiful.

OK, update time!

Well, lots has happened!

The motor is apart! As expected, pretty nasty bottom end failure due to oil starvation!

I need a new crank & one rod (Both already sourced). New big end, and main bearing's....Fortuneatly the bits of bearing that ended up in the motor, only got as far as the screen from the motor to the external oil sump....lucky!

I will also need new gaskets, ring's, etc...

So a bottem end re-build is required...

Whilst we are there, and the motor is open, i am also doing the following, a set of hot cams, a set of 1mm overbore high comp pistons, a headjob....a shave, a port, and a polish, etc...obviously a re-bore, with the bigger pistons...

So a full motor rebuild, with about an 868cc motor, with compression being raised from 10:5:1, to 12:1, with the addition of the high comp pistons.

All of the fire this makes looks likely to exit the bike via a set of Akrapovic titanium headers, and Carbon End Cans....yes, the dented old staintunes are going, and seeing as i dont need to put the bike through the local inspection station, as i am using the same motor, i can go straight to putting on some, better breathing, noise and "colour" to the bike, straight off.

When Motor is re-built, and exhaust is installed, it wil be up onto the dyno for a tune, and an answer to the new HP output figure with all these extensive engine mod's....

Only thing i am not doing, that i have considered, is swapping to Flatside FCR carbies....this apparently also add's decent whacks of bolt on HP...

Anyway, this is all happenning right now! I am looking for 100hp at the rear wheel....stock, the TRX puts out about 80hp at the rear wheel.

I think the motor will still be reliable, and have a decent life expectancy, as the job is being done by a reputable engine builder, and i am cutting NO corners!

Oh, i have also now got a chain! DID VX 525! in Black & Gold! looks schmick, and should go well with the gold renthal sprocket i have on it's way,......been waiting for it for 5 weeks from England...it seems the volcanic ash cloud thingo has slowed mail up a bit...everything is taking ages to come and go right now...

lots of other little bit and pieces done, and yesterday, Mikey & I bled the brakes....was not that much of a stress, well, not after we worked out the rear brake caliper has 2 bleed nipples! WTF! :eek:

I have a new clutch, and new throttle cable on their way....

Paint....i am leaving that till the bike is running again...want the painter to have the whole bike to get the final paint scheme dead right!

But things are moving along very smoothly...once this motor is sorted, i will have the thing on the road....about 3-4 weeks i reckon....big stab in the dark!

Nice to see feel the love....not! :(

Wow. Just wow. I can not believe how awesome this bike will be. Motor was built bullet proof to start so the bore job won't harm a thing. Flat side carbs would be fun too. I expect 100hp at the wheel, and instant wheelies.

3 - 4 weeks :eek: you tellin' me I still gotta wait another month :eek: :spank: :spank:

Hurry up already :D

I was only thinkin' to myself yesterday that it had been a while since we had an update & here it is :thumbup: 20hp is a huge gain & hope it gets there & some maybe ;)

Nothing more has happened this week, other than the "new" crank & rod arriving at shop, a clutch cable and replacement plain billet ali rear passenger footpegs turning up.

Oh, i did decide that i am not getting the Akra system, instead, i am going to use the GYTR muffler, left over from Pinky, and mate it up to a set of custom big bore headers.

original internal diameter of headers is 38mm, new headers will start at the motor at 41mm, then flang out to 44.5mm, then 50mm, at the junction of the headers and the connector pipe....GYTR mufflers have an internal pipe diameter of 50mm.

I am going to need baffles if i dont wanna be deaf, or defected, as GYTR pipe is about 700mm longer than the OEM pipes, and is one muffler, instead of a twin system! And it was freaking loud before i decided to get "medievil" on the exhaust....

HP output should be affected rather nicely, and the total weight saving on the bike will go from about 23kg's for OEM full exhaust system, to about 9kg for the new custom 2 into 1, GYTR exhaust.

This weight loss can be added to the 3kg loss of rolling mass weight, in the form of lighter wave disc's being installed....this weight loss is more significant IMHO, as less rolling mass at the wheels, means lighter handling...

anyway, that's this week's update....

Need pics of the exhaust , im struggling to get my head around the whole idea of using Pinky's pipe :thumbup:

Need pics of the exhaust , im struggling to get my head around the whole idea of using Pinky's pipe :thumbup:
Like wot he said please..........

Is the OEM exhaust mad of lead or what?

Nelly

Like wot he said please..........

Is the OEM exhaust mad of lead or what?

Nelly

The OEM mufflers weigh 14kg (7kg x 2), the headers weigh 9kg with all fittings.

The Staintunes mufflers weigh considerably less, but just one them is still heavier than the one GYTR pipe I am replacing them with.

As for how it will fit, well the GYTR pipe is oval, so looks perfect hanging from OEM right exhaust hanger, via the existing GYTR pipe clamp. Will just need to cut out the connector pipe at end of can, and weld (very neatly) a new connector pipe that we can feed into the new bigger bore, lighter, thinner walled custom headers.

The exhaust still follows a very similar path on right side of bike, it just loses the left side pipe..trust me', I reckon I have it well Suss'd!

Also ordered a carbon fibre hugger, and tank protector from Geelong Carbon Craft today, and a carbon fibre 99-02 R6 front fender as well.

Motor work goes back into forward mode on Monday.

:D

Why just the one conrod? HP takes the weakest path.
Go with the flatside carbs they will add a lot of power to the beast.

Cause the other conrod is perfectly ok. As for flat sides, apart from adding another $1000 to the build are troublesome for everyday road riding, making the bike hard to start on cold days.... No choke! And also too, you are either on or off the throttle with flatsides, which is more a race track need, on the road I reckon it would be a but abrupt, and a pain in the A!

As for carbies, the most I will probably do to them than the re-build already done, is maybe put a dynojet stage 1, or 2 kit through them. That should sharpen things up a little bit. :thumbup:

Back