Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! :)

Should i leave the bike with OEM Paint scheme?

• White frame, and plain RED OEM paintwork

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White frame, RED bodywork with WHITE racing stripe full length of the bike

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Took the much better half for a spin thru the Twisties tonight. Bike was good 2 up, Jess was not impressed with the pillion seat hand strap...apparently it is too tight! And as there are no pillion grab handles like the FZ6, she was a bit destracted. Jess said the seat was comfortable enough, distance to foot pegs, ok, and clearance from muffler, all good.

Cut a few Laps of a road I know well at increasing pace, then did a little freeway riding before coming home..

So it Looks that with a slight modification to the hand strap, we are all good to go for pillions.

Will no doubt get a second and third opinion, when I take my 12 year old son, and Ana (My Ex who lives with us) for rides, both are experienced pillions, and will also give valuable feedback.

Suspension felt good, plush but not saggy.

Handling was great, thus bike is so easy to go round corners on, it has a great chassis! And the 160 rear tyre keeps things feeling rather nimble.

Front suspension needs a little work I think, feels just a little bit too eager to get onto it's outer edge, going into corners in sports mode...

Bike is still running like a dog under 3000rpm,
which is quite annoying on a bike that only rev's to 9000rpm!

But that will get fixed next Tuesday, when the bike goes back up on the dyno!

Am having fun getting things sorted...

:thumbup:

Im SO impressed with how the bike turned out....YOU put so much time and effort into this. I cant wait to retire from the military so I can take on a project like this and say, F U, I dont care what it costs....Im doing it!

Well done, and I hope you enjoy every second you spend working on and riding this beauty:rockon::rockon:

Oh, and you owe me a new laptop.....I tried to jump thru it and ride off into the sunset:BLAA:

cow..i mean WOW what a sensational resto job, the bike wants to pop out of the pictures its really shining. i like the sound of the twin heart too.

just amazing. you are a moto god jamie (..ok if you are the moto god what title should mikey get?! - i ll leave that up to you jamie) well you really both put your heart in this project, enjoy every ride:thumbup:

Im SO impressed with how the bike turned out....YOU put so much time and effort into this. I cant wait to retire from the military so I can take on a project like this and say, F U, I dont care what it costs....Im doing it!

Well done, and I hope you enjoy every second you spend working on and riding this beauty:rockon::rockon:

Oh, and you owe me a new laptop.....I tried to jump thru it and ride off into the sunset:BLAA:

LOL! Yes, i suppose i am "Semi retired" these days....only working 2 night's a week....this does give me lots of time to get busy on these projects i keep starting...

As for the cost, yeah, that got a bit out of hand....went way way over my initial budget, but at some point you have to say to yourself, f*** it, if i am going to do it, then bugger the cost, you gotta do it right....

I really enjoyed building the black FZ6 special, and that took ages to sort, but is now an amazing ride...

I dont think this one will take as long, as modifications are not as radical, chassis wise, it's just the motor on this one, that requires a bit of fine tuning, to get just right...hopefully, next Tuesday's dyno run will fix that!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cow..i mean WOW what a sensational resto job, the bike wants to pop out of the pictures its really shining. i like the sound of the twin heart too.

just amazing. you are a moto god jamie (..ok if you are the moto god what title should mikey get?! - i ll leave that up to you jamie) well you really both put your heart in this project, enjoy every ride:thumbup:

Mikey, i just call him an Idiot, most of the time!!! His jokes are very very bad...and prolific in his output of verbal linguistics!

But the boy has a very mechanical brain, and as such, he is normally the one that works out how the f*** we are going to "pull off" what we are about to embark on....

A bike of Mikey's must be on the Agenda one day soon....track bike i think!!!

Ok, the other side of the bike, the single exhaust side....for those that dont know much about TRX's, they normally run a 2 into 2 exhaust, not 2 into 1, as seen here...

The Muffler is off "Pinky", the FZ6 cup bike...the headers were bfabbed up locally, and ceramic coated...

p1090375resize.jpg

p1090380resize.jpg

Got to take the bike for it's first decent Sports Ride today...

And OMG! it was great! This thing handles like it's on rails! It seems Mikey & myself got suspension setting's pretty well sorted, straight off the bat...

I was getting round corners that i normally dont like with a completely new confidence....this thing is planted to the road!

Oh, and between 4000rpm, and 8000 rpm, this bike hauls hard...Mikey reckons it's quicker than the FZ6!!!

:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup:

Thats awesome mate , did you ever have doubts as to how INSANE it was going to be ?? Or is it really that much better than you expected ??

Ohh yeah , is it safe to assume Mikey will be along shortly with all the video of this ride ??

The Bike is SICK !!! Truly a work of Art Jaime!!! you have most definitly earned the right to be known world-wide now as "Wolfman The Biker"!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

That is a sic bike! Was just watching some vids of the TRX and I'm fully impressed.
I'm wondering why I haven't seen more of this bike? I don't ever remember seeing one in the states. This motor also has a very unique sound similar to a V twin and different from other side by sides. Does it have different crank positioning than most other side by sides?
Heard some other TRXs and they also sounded very similar to Ducs and SVs. :D

Wow, she really looks good Jamie. I'm finally back in my office on a real computer with a big monitor. Beautiful bike! As much as I like the new bikes, bikes of that era just do it for me. To me that is how a sporting motorcycle is supposed to look.

I can't seem to find the video link, what post is it on? :confused:

Wow, she really looks good Jamie. I'm finally back in my office on a real computer with a big monitor. Beautiful bike! As much as I like the new bikes, bikes of that era just do it for me. To me that is how a sporting motorcycle is supposed to look.

I can't seem to find the video link, what post is it on? :confused:

Here's the link to the Video again...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BINRBTHJ6Vw&feature=feedu]TRX850 Custom Headers, GYTR pipe. - YouTube[/ame]

Gotta tell you, it's a great bike, 100hp, 8oNm of torque, fantastic chassis, nicely balanced suspension, excellent geometry all round...is a hoot rto ride, and real easy to ride very quickly, if your up for it...whilst still feeling relaxed...no wonder it won bike of the year in Australia back in 1996...It's good good thing!

Here's the link to the Video again...

TRX850 Custom Headers, GYTR pipe. - YouTube

Gotta tell you, it's a great bike, 100hp, 8oNm of torque, fantastic chassis, nicely balanced suspension, excellent geometry all round...is a hoot rto ride, and real easy to ride very quickly, if your up for it...whilst still feeling relaxed...no wonder it won bike of the year in Australia back in 1996...It's good good thing!

Freakin AWESOME !! :rockon: :rockon: it sound's Tuff,wish I could take around the block !! :BLAA:

Wow, that thing has a bark, I love it. You need to do a track day on it.

Freakin AWESOME !! :rockon: :rockon: it sound's Tuff,wish I could take around the block !! :BLAA:

The bark is only half of the symphony, the induction roar is pretty darn sweet, as is the over-run...the induction noise is a bit of a roar, the over run is like a deep purring noise!

One thing this bike is, is musical!

Took it for another ride last night with the forks dropped through the top triple the recommended 18.5mm as standard, and it handles even better again too... Still stable as a rock, but with quicker turn in, and even more feedback from the front tyre, without losing the "I am sitting on the back wheel" sensation that thus bike gives...

You sit in the bike, and it responds nicely to every movement you make with your body!

And yes, I need to get the thing to the track... Where I think it belongs!

Well, Yesterday i dropped the bike off for it's session on the dyno, with a small concern about a bit of coolant i found on the side of the motor...

Got a phone call this morning to tell me that the head gasket is leaking!

So, it looks like i am up for 2 gaskets at least, head, and cylinder head base gasket...

So, the motor has to come out, head off, fix, re-assemble, refit, run, see how we go!

What a PITA! not to mention, another painful whack to the hip pocket!

You know, one of the few aftermarket parts i bought, was a full gasket, and seal kit for the motor....

Guess what, i aint buying anything other than OEM anymore....

This is a headache i didnt need!

On the bright side, the tune was going well, with a much better looking map down low...

:(

Re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Sorry to hear about the leak but that motor is def worth it! Was thinking about the TRX today as I was punching through a few turns on a short mission today.
You'll be severely addicted to that motor! LOL!

Re: Project TRX! A semi faithful restoration! Finished! Video & photo's now up! :)

Sorry to hear about the leak but that motor is def worth it! Was thinking about the TRX today as I was punching through a few turns on a short mission today.
You'll be severely addicted to that motor! LOL!

I am already addicted! Fabulous donk!

Back