preventative maintenance? - battery

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i got to thinking the other day. i have an '06 that (to my knowledge) has the original battery in it. things still seem to be fine and i'm riding it to work when i can with no issues. but we're looking at a 5 year old battery.

do you guys just wait for your battery to show signs of dying or do you replace it every few years?

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
that's a good question...don't know anyone that replaces it
before needing to, but it's prolly a good idea, it's a small
battery and will go down hill quickly near the end

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had a battery go bad on a bike. Probably because I don't own them long enough. I do all the wrenching for myself I can and I feel like if my battery is showing signs of weakness I would replace it. Other than that if it's behaving strong I keep it charged and use it. The battery is easy to change out.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
mine is original AFAIK and seems to be going strong (starting up first time after in 4 weeks in winter), and is the same age.

i'd just wait for signs that it's dyning tbh. I don't think the FZ6 is as finicky as the R6 for example.

batteries usually seem to die because of dodgy rectifiers or alternators

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is/was original since I got my bike couple of years ago.
It was o.k. since then; until my bike is in the hibernation mode for a couple of months. (but rode at least once a week, but wasn't enough distance to be charged, I guess)
Ha, my battery is in the charging status right now, hope it gets the juice again.
If it does not get live again, I might consider to buy new...whew..
Happy and safe riding !!!

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is/was original since I got my bike couple of years ago.
It was o.k. since then; until my bike is in the hibernation mode for a couple of months. (but rode at least once a week, but wasn't enough distance to be charged, I guess)
Ha, my battery is in the charging status right now, hope it gets the juice again.
If it does not get live again, I might consider to buy new...whew..
Happy and safe riding !!!

same here, mine is charging right now. Normally I crank it once a week and let it run, but I have been slacking lately. I usually ride a couple of times a week during the winter but have not this year.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
4 years is about all I count on, cages, bikes, whatever.

My original '04 battery lasted until about June 2009, replaced it with a POS BikeMaster unit because I was stranded when it died with no warning.

It lasted only about 6 months, dealer would do nothing.

Went with a YT12B-4 from BatteryStuff.com, great price, a 3-year warranty if I recall, higher CCA (for what it's worth), so far working great.

I tend to replace batteries at the first sign of problems, history has proven to me that they will die in the geographic center of nowhere.

Don't push it, or you'll end up pushing it.

Last edited: