Precautions in rain for helmet

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
While riding in rain, what precautions do you take for visibility? Motorcycle is my only commmute and public transit sucks in Charlotte.
If it rains when starting from home, I usually don't go out, but once, Siri, Google Now, and Alexa says "It is not going to rain in Charlotte today", I may start and while returning from my destination, if it rains, I'm doomed. In rain, if it is night, if there are no street lights I'm completely blind, can't see anything, so, I won't ride at night in rain anymore.

I like to try RainX, which I used on my car, I remember in a heavy rain, empty interstate, in 85 miles trip, I used my viper only 3-5 times, rest, the water just didn't stayed on the glass at all.

I didn't apply this product yet, since, the season didn't start yet and not sure to use it on on the plastic visors we have, as they are not glass.
Rain-x Part No. 800002243

https://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWE...VOaNnlg2KhM_bq94rzC4bWzHb6CWQqwTY8aAmy58P8HAQ

Pretty expensive and doubtful alternatives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3aSTBnD-Pc
Uvia Helmet Visor Shield Wiper for KBC Lazer MSR Reevu River Road Roland Sands | eBay

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of Held gloves have visor wipers which will work to clear your visor. I've found that once I'm moving, the rain doesn't stay around for long. RainX does not work on plastic.

I typically just take my truck when there's any rain in the forecast.

Shift your body weight more in the rain so you don't have to lean as much during turns.

wshski

Reaction score
Visit site
I used rain-x one time. it pretty much mess my visor up. it botched the film layer (?) up, making it spotted and couldn't see clearly. yours made not have such a film on it.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
if you're moving than looking to one side than he other for a second or 2 will move the rain from your visor, not so much if you're standing still in traffic

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a pinlock insert so you can keep the visor shut without any fogging on the side. Buy some gloves a visor wipe on the thumb. Change your visor often: the micro scratches stop the water running off. I've tried a few spray on treatments, including rainx, its not worth it.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Rain is bad enough but it's at least clean and at hwy speeds turning your head to the side as mentioned above sweeps lots of it away. The issue is road spray, it's dirty. Don't follow too close to vehicles in front of you. If you want to pass hold back and then squirt ahead to minimize the dirty water. Visor wipes on the left forefinger helps too. Good thinking to not riding at night in the rain, glare is the problem. Take care and good luck!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rain is bad enough but it's at least clean and at hwy speeds turning your head to the side as mentioned above sweeps lots of it away. The issue is road spray, it's dirty. Don't follow too close to vehicles in front of you. If you want to pass hold back and then squirt ahead to minimize the dirty water. Visor wipes on the left forefinger helps too. Good thinking to not riding at night in the rain, glare is the problem. Take care and good luck!

+100 ^^^^ also.

The road spray from whats ahead of you is nasty. Either get ahead of traffic or back far enough not to wear their tire spray.

Wiping that dirty road water is like "wet sanding what ever you touch".

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
I don't do anything when it rains, water just flows out of the front of the visor, maybe it's shape of it that helps.

My helmet is a HJC IS-17. On my Duke water didn't flow so easily, so from time to time and look left and then right and the wind makes water go out of the visor.

"V"

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site

^this. As other mentioned, water will shed quickly if you turn your head to the side, and even clear without doing so if your speed is quick enough. The road spray is the biggest issue for me. Increase following distance to reduce spray, or if the opportunity arises, pass the vehicle causing you the spray (preferably on a multi lane). Good anti fog is also a big plus to have.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
My helmet is a HJC IS-17. On my Duke water didn't flow so easily, so from time to time and look left and then right and the wind makes water go out of the visor.

"V"

I had the other way around. The HJC was a nightmare in the rain, visor seal was near useless, rivers running from top to bottom, spray coming up from the lower seal. I've found the Duke to be brilliant. Only gets wet on the outside, and clears really well. And for some reason, the shape of the visor let's me ride with it about a third open while it's raining, with nothing spraying on my face.

Weird. Out of all the helmets I've, the HJC was the first I really spent money on, and the only one I've had problems with.

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Rain-X will destroy the coating on most shields.

Meguiar's Quik Detailer spray on my hole helmet.
Cleans and waxes in one step. Wax will help bead and repel water.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g14422-ultimate-quik-detailertrade/

I also keep a slip-on finger visor wiper in my pocket in case i get caught in the rain with out my good rain gloves.
Gloves with built in visor wiper work better but these are better than nothing.
Show Chrome Finger Visor Wiper - Motorcycle Superstore

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, what's the rest of your kit like? I find I can cope with rain and cold better if I'm dry and warm. A good waterproofing treatment is a must for your kit, I use Nikwax Tx Direct and Wash In, and if it's really bad a good rainsuit is a must (no need to spend alot of money, just something to keep the wet out).

With a relatively fresh Nikwax treatment, I managed four-five hours in constant drizzle the other week, it was only my vented summer gloves that let me down, with seepage up the sleeves of my long sleeved tshirt.

Serzedo

Reaction score
I had the other way around. The HJC was a nightmare in the rain, visor seal was near useless, rivers running from top to bottom, spray coming up from the lower seal. I've found the Duke to be brilliant. Only gets wet on the outside, and clears really well. And for some reason, the shape of the visor let's me ride with it about a third open while it's raining, with nothing spraying on my face.

Weird. Out of all the helmets I've, the HJC was the first I really spent money on, and the only one I've had problems with.

That's really weird, my Duke and my girlfriend had one too, the cheek pads got wet from the water. The HJC has a kind of spring on the bottom of the visor to shut it tight, doesn't enter any kind of water and the fog isn't really an issue either. I too use to ride with the visor not completely shut, leaving space for some air to enter.

"V"

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
8851574d0f1981f0e4b579596ebecaaa.jpg

See the white strips around the visor seal: that's door foam draft excluder. It got so bad, I actually cut the old rubber seal out and replaced it with that, trimmed down to fit. Stopped most of the problems, but still had spray up through the clip area. Was really glad to get rid of that lid!

Serzedo

Reaction score
See the white strips around the visor seal: that's door foam draft excluder. It got so bad, I actually cut the old rubber seal out and replaced it with that, trimmed down to fit. Stopped most of the problems, but still had spray up through the clip area. Was really glad to get rid of that lid!

That really sucks, maybe they fixed the problems with the 2015 model, because mine didn't gave any problems like those you describe.

"V"

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I got mine in December 2013. Last time I buy a helmet off the internet. I went through my local guys for the Duke, they had to open a new dealer account with caberg for it, so any problems I can go straight down there and get it sorted instead of having to post it back, etc, etc.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Rub dish soap on the inside of your visor and then wipe it away with a cloth. (No water involved)

For clearing your visor itself, I tilt my head, use my glove, or lean forward near the windscreen to catch air and remove it that way.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rain-X will destroy the coating on most shields.

Meguiar's Quik Detailer spray on my hole helmet.
Cleans and waxes in one step. Wax will help bead and repel water.
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g14422-ultimate-quik-detailertrade/

I also keep a slip-on finger visor wiper in my pocket in case i get caught in the rain with out my good rain gloves.
Gloves with built in visor wiper work better but these are better than nothing.
Show Chrome Finger Visor Wiper - Motorcycle Superstore

I've waxed another visor and helmet and it seemed to work well.
Orbital polishers embed it better than hand applications too.

Try it on the bikes wind screen first and see what you think. Although it gets more rocks, dirt, debris, and sun so it won't last as long as the helmet.

As for dish soap; not sure how it does it, but leaving a film on your glasses (eye glass wearers) and it repels and beads... Try it.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Rain-x makes a mess, and supposidly weakens and destroys your visor (there's a video of them putting a pen through one somewhere)

I use the rubber wipers on my gloves to clear water (all my rain gloves have them). For misting crack the visor open at low speeds, and use a pinlock, or treat the inside with an anti-fog coating every couple of days. Using a foggy mouth guard also works really well, but I don't like how they feel.

Cold weather is the worst as your warm breath freezes or condenses inside the visor, even with a pinlock.