Power Loss

Drklude

Reaction score
Visit site
So I brought my 2007 FZ6 out and cleaned it how I always do, wipe with a rag and then dry immediately section by section. I fire it up, drive around the block then put it back. I get up this morning, and suddenly the engine is making an odd puttering sound. Usually when I rev it is a smooth sounds, now there is a distinct putt putt putt. The engine is also a lot less powerful at low revs. I'm no mechanic but I know my way around an engine, and it almost seems like not all pistons are firing or something. I have about 3500 on it and I change the oil regularly. I drive it 3-4 times a week so I noticed immediately that it sounded and felt weird.

Anyone have any insight? I just want to rule out anything simple before I take it into the shop. I've never had any problems with the bike before. Thanks, any and all help is appreciated.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it constantly putt putt putt or just sumtimes?

Start with the basics, check your plugs to see if they're good and snug maybe they came lose.

Open up the airbox to see if anything may be blocking anything.

Since its fuel injected the computer puts out what it gets in. Garbage in garbage out. Might be a sensor lose or not connected all the way, check your grounds and connectors to see if there is any corrosion and if they're lose.

If may be just as simple as a little bad gas.

Hope this gets you started.:thumbup:

N

Naykid

So I brought my 2007 FZ6 out and cleaned it how I always do, wipe with a rag and then dry immediately section by section. I fire it up, drive around the block then put it back. I get up this morning, and suddenly the engine is making an odd puttering sound. Usually when I rev it is a smooth sounds, now there is a distinct putt putt putt. The engine is also a lot less powerful at low revs. I'm no mechanic but I know my way around an engine, and it almost seems like not all pistons are firing or something. I have about 3500 on it and I change the oil regularly.

Something is missing from your diagnosis. Don't know what it is because it can't run right after you wash it...and then run bad the next day for no reason. Either you got water into something when you washed it....or you didn't notice anything wrong on the test ride.

What to do first is to see if all four cylinders are firing. Let it warm up and spray a little water on the exhaust headers. If the water burns off quick it's firing. If it doesn't and the header is cold.....it's not firing on that cylinder. You should get two hot headers...and two cold headers because one coil fires two cylinders.

If you find TWO cylinders not firing.....buy a compression tester and test all four cylinders. Let us know the numbers you get.

If you do NOT find two cylinders that aren't fireing.....then you have got water in the wire harness..or bar switches...or ignition switches. Dry out these parts and never use a pressure washer to wash a bike again...ever.

Drklude

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I'll have to run through and do all the checks suggested. I never use a pressure washer, I have a wet rage and a dry rag, wax on wax off style. I try to never have any water near the bike. It definitely wasn't there on the test ride, and I ride regularly, which is why this is such a surprise.

I'll run through and check everything then get back to you.

Thanks

Twitch

Elite Pimp
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, def sounds like either a plug is out, one of your injectors is bad, or worse case, one of your pistons isnt firing :/

BUT !!!! I had a polaris trailblazer when i was younger (atv) and took it riding all day in the rain. It got some water in the airbox and is doing EXACTLY what you are saying your bike is doing. Could be a coincidence but id check that as well. Water in there really sucks. Literally :p

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, def sounds like either a plug is out, one of your injectors is bad, or worse case, one of your pistons isnt firing :/

BUT !!!! I had a polaris trailblazer when i was younger (atv) and took it riding all day in the rain. It got some water in the airbox and is doing EXACTLY what you are saying your bike is doing. Could be a coincidence but id check that as well. Water in there really sucks. Literally :p

If a plug is out or an injector is bad, the piston won't fire, simple as that. We all depend on 3 things for an engine to run- fuel, compression and spark. Take one away and you have a misfire.

I think there would be a bang or clunk from the engine if it drank too much water and hydrolocked, so I would look towards the sensors and plug connections. A lot of these things aren't sealed that well and are a bit sensitive to water ingestion.

Good luck Drklude, hope you can sort the problem out!

BB

Drklude

Reaction score
Visit site
So I went ahead and started to check a few things. I turned the bike on for a minute or so and then sprayed water on all of the exhaust pipes one at a time. It quickly burned off all of them except the far left pipe (clutch side). I turned off the bike and started to take out the battery and airbox so that I could get to the spark plug. I got so far as to take the plug cap off before I realized that I had neither the time nor the tools to effectively take out the spark plug, its just too dam tight without taking all sorts of things apart.

I put everything back together except for the top cover of the air box. I fired up the bike and the putt putt was still there, and it idled rough. I let it warm a bit then goosed the engine a few times to see if I noticed anything down in the air intakes. I didn't see anything, so I goosed it a couple more times because I wanted to sort of step back and look at the whole machine while I revved it. However this time the putt putt was gone.

I turned off the bike, put the air cover back on, and put the seat back on. I took it for a short ride, and everything was back to normal. I don't know what happened, but while I was revving it I must have tweaked something back into place...I don't know. I'll probably take it to the shop for a long overdo tune up soon, maybe they will see something I didn't.

Thanks for all your suggestions, hopefully it runs smooth for a while!