Power after 8k RPM?

thomka60

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

Forgive my FZ6 inexperience. I am currently breaking in my '09 FZ6 and I won't be able to go past 8k for at least 600 miles or so.

I hear that this bike is a real Dr. Jekyll and Hyde after 8k RPMs. I have barely touched 7k so far but there seems to be plenty of power available.

I guess my question is, what kind of power do I have to look forward once the engine is ready for some lovin? Is there really a significant difference in power after 8k?

Thanks!

no.1partsguy

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it will be enough to get your attention, and the attention of law enforcement. :spank: Quote: With great power comes great responseability. To answer your question, yes, it's an animal over 8000 rpms.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer the OP, remember the old movie quote..."when you hit 88 MPH, your gonna see some serious sh*t" That about sums it up when you tack 8K plus:rockon: The feel, acceleration and sound are quite a different animal indeed!

thomka60

Reaction score
Visit site
Kinderhook, I am up that way 2 or more times a week to see the girlfriend let me know if you want to ride i'm always up for new roads. :thumbup:

Def man, I can't wait for this cold crappy weather to break. I keep trying to ride the bike but I can only handle the cold for 15 minutes haha.

thomka60

Reaction score
Visit site
To answer the OP, remember the old movie quote..."when you hit 88 MPH, your gonna see some serious sh*t" That about sums it up when you tack 8K plus:rockon: The feel, acceleration and sound are quite a different animal indeed!

hahaha, sounds like a good time to me! :thumbup: Only on a closed course :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a dyno chart. Look at the rear wheel horse power when your putting around at 6k and below. Look at it 8k and above with the torque chart. You must respect your on/off throttle at these higher RPMs.

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a dyno chart. Look at the rear wheel horse power when your putting around at 6k and below. Look at it 8k and above with the torque chart. You must respect your on/off throttle at these higher RPMs.

It seems TQ goes down after 10k rmps :\ im kinda like a newb too, and btw OP i just started going past 8k, now im scared to do it, but i get to do it every time i get on the freeway, i guess it's fast.. but it doesn't seem that fast, it SOUNDS fast. anyways, why would TQ go DOWN after 10k if we still have - lots - of usable HP after that?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't fear it. Just be smooth with throttle application when you get into high RPMs. Experiment on perfect surface on a good day.. straight road. Get the RPMs up there and roll on slowly. As you get more comfortable you can get more aggressive with rolling on, but NEVER slam it open or shut at high RPMs.
This bike is perfectly controllable at any RPM.. you just have to respect it and be smooth about your inputs.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not going to hurt the bike to go above 8,000 rpms in a short burst...the idea when breaking in is to not overheat the block until the piston rings wear in. Many race engines are broken in quickly by accelerating to high rpm and then closing the throttle and decelerating down to idle rpms to keep the engine cool for several minutes and they are good to go.

The old break in period of 500-1,000 miles goes back to when motor oil wasn't nearly as good and engine tolerances where much worse.

YES. This little engine doesn't really come to life till about 8,000 rpms...it pulls like a raped ape all the way to redline. :)

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike started doing something it never used to do before...it must be getting good and broken in now (6k miles) cause if I hit wot in 1st gear from a dead stop it will wheeile at 8-10k rpm's every time, and it never used to do that before. I even got it to do it going into 2ond gear the other day which scared the holy hell outta me. So I'd say this bike has pretty good top end pull. Now it's nothing like my brothers cbr1000 which will wheelie pretty much in every gear no matter the speed, but to me that's not too fun.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike started doing something it never used to do before...it must be getting good and broken in now (6k miles) cause if I hit wot in 1st gear from a dead stop it will wheeile at 8-10k rpm's every time, and it never used to do that before. I even got it to do it going into 2ond gear the other day which scared the holy hell outta me. So I'd say this bike has pretty good top end pull. Now it's nothing like my brothers cbr1000 which will wheelie pretty much in every gear no matter the speed, but to me that's not too fun.

You're helmet should be just about touching your windscreen when you are WOT in any gear...LEAN FORWARD and it won't wheelie on you.

BTW: The perceived power of this bike is MUCH higher if you are a small rider (like me). I weight 140 lbs and my bike is faster than my buddy's SV1000 since he weighs 240 lbs. We all know how much slower the 600cc feels with a passenger on the back...Rider weight makes a HUGE difference, especially with <1000 cc's.

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
As Erci says as long as your smooth on the throttle, you don't have too fear anything over 8k.

This tread makes it sound like it turns into a mini R1 :D

lol i does don't it. the bike has lots of power.. but not "that" much , like i said it will mainly SOUND louder than it is, because the engine just SCREAMS when it gets up to 12~kRPM's , on another note seeing how we are talking about rpms, is it normal for the bike to make.. a chugging noise when leaving a complete stop? i usually shift at like 3k or 4k IF im feeling a little risky, i know sounds silly, but when in town i just cruise, and i shifting to early? it doesn't sound like my little engine likes it.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
You're shifting too early. I shift out of first gear usually btwn 5.5-6k rpms, the higher you go the smoother the shift will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're helmet should be just about touching your windscreen when you are WOT in any gear...LEAN FORWARD and it won't wheelie on you.

BTW: The perceived power of this bike is MUCH higher if you are a small rider (like me). I weight 140 lbs and my bike is faster than my buddy's SV1000 since he weighs 240 lbs. We all know how much slower the 600cc feels with a passenger on the back...Rider weight makes a HUGE difference, especially with <1000 cc's.

I've ridden both bikes and my SV1000s seems much faster than my dyno'd FZ6 was. It makes more HP and almost double the torque. He's not even trying on the SV...