(Possibly) Obvious Key Protector Idea

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
This may be obvious to all. It was to me, but I had a mate who noticed my keys recently and was raving about what a good idea it was, so I thought I'd share here. Hope it's useful to someone. Basically, I had some clear tube and put it over the metal part of each key to stop it scratching my yoke etc when I'm riding. I've been doing it for years. I have loads of bits of tube laying around the hose and garage in various shapes and sizes from the bikes and fish tanks I own/owned and just shoved a bit over a key one day and never looked back. :)

<-- Clicky for larger image.

Last edited:
Hey, I kinda like that. Not sure if I'm patient enough to take the tubing off and put it back on after using my house key etc, but I like it!

:thumbup:

This is PERFECT for me! I have a key on my ring for a paddlock that I use on my front rotor when I'm on a public street. I can't stop it from moving around and scratching the ignition switch area while I'm riding. This would work perfectly! Thanks!

Hey, I kinda like that. Not sure if I'm patient enough to take the tubing off and put it back on after using my house key etc, but I like it!

:thumbup:
I have two sets of keys, one set with lots of keys on for the house, garage, classroom etc and one for the bike. The bike set just has the key for the bike, by disc lock, my top box, and a bike lock I sometimes use to lock up myy helmet. I just pull off the tube with my teeth and hold it there while I unlock my disc lock etc and slide the key back in. Doesn't take me any more time.

This is PERFECT for me! I have a key on my ring for a paddlock that I use on my front rotor when I'm on a public street. I can't stop it from moving around and scratching the ignition switch area while I'm riding. This would work perfectly! Thanks!
Glad to see it's not as obvious as I thought it was and will help somebody.

Thanks for the rep too mate! All you others: feel free to give too! ;)

Was obvious to Suzuki, their new bikes come with the plastic tubing cover already.
Well, there's an obvious answer to that! They copied me! :thumbup: :ban:

That's more about protecting the keys in transit etc than the bike really IMHO. It's the keys that you DON'T use to start the bike that need covering to protect the yoke/ignition.

That's clever. Though I'm with teeter in that I'm too lazy and I'd likely lose the bits of hose all the dang time. I'd probably take it a step further and tether the hose to my key ring...that'd be a mess.

Here's my solution. It's a pull-apart key ring. I put the ignition key by itself on one deal-io and dunked the end in plasti-dip to keep it from marring the top clamp.

View attachment 19855

View attachment 19857

Yeah, I know, "he's talking about losing stuff and he's got a frickin' three piece key ring..." I'm pretty forgetful, so I'm always checking that all three pieces are there. When the plastic wears off, like it is now, it's easy enough to re-coat it.

Great idea!

I have only a dealership fob on my bike key and all other keys sit in my pocket. So, I only have the small rubber tag flapping around as I ride. :thumbup:

Glad to know i'm not the only one who doesn't like his yoke scatched (that sounds bad :spank: ). The previous owner hadn't bothered so the top yoke was all scratched so I had to respray it. Right b****d to removed as the ignition loom connector it tucked inside the frame under the tank but there was no way i could leave it scratched as it would've driven me mad. looks much better now.
Just have the ingition key on its own now and rest of my keys in my pocket.

I prefer to go with the simple solution. Instead of a split ring just take some parachute cord or something similar and tie the keys in a loop long enough that the extra keys drop over the edge of the triple tree instead of banging around on top of it.

Sanger I appreciate your inventive side....but I have to give credit where credit is due....Nelly told the forum about this over a year ago. He used oxygen tubing from the hospital where he worked!

Regardless of who "invented" this idea, many thanks to Sanger for bringing it to my attention. I've already found a perfect tube and fitted it over my other key, and it works great. This is the perfect solution for my problem. Thanks!

Sanger I appreciate your inventive side....but I have to give credit where credit is due....Nelly told the forum about this over a year ago. He used oxygen tubing from the hospital where he worked!
Lol. That doesn't surprise me! I thought it was quite an obvious idea, but it seems not everyone has thought/heard of it. So I'm still glad I (re)posted it. :cheer:

Back