Possible recall on 2004 FZ6??

jvbull86

Reaction score
Visit site
So i bought my bike second-hand with no drops, scratches, dings ect. and 5k on it and have put about 3k on it. in my 5 months of ownership i have dropped my bike at low speeds 3 times already. This isn't my first bike and ive been riding motorcycles for 5 years so i am confident its not me and its perhaps something structurally wrong with the bike

So heres the deal...

I will start my bike, let it warm up for a couple seconds, then go out of the driveway.

then i make the turn on my street and since it is low speeds i turn the handlebars to execute the turn.

then when i go to straighten out the handlebars they are suddenly locked to the side and wont unlock so in that quick second the bike is throwing me on its side.

Anyone else experienbeced this or heard about it?:confused: i really feel like something might be wrong hear and i just wanted to get some input before i call yamaha.

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 and have never experienced this problem...I don't know what starting out cold would affect the steerimg

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my years of scouring the Internet on FZ6 related issues, I've yet to hear of a similar issue. If it were at the recall level in terms of consistency, we'd have heard.

How much (degrees, inches) are you actually turning the bars? Even at low speeds, I only turn them marginally.

Are the cables binding at all? Possibly too tight or catching on something when turned to a large degree? Do the bars actually "lock" or after the fall are they free again?

Can you mimic the problem without the bike moving?

Hopefully someone else can help. If you're at a loss, definitely take it in as I wouldn't want anyone riding something that they didn't feel completely stable on.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you have a issue with either the head bearing or the steering lock. Like ^^^ said can you make it happen while not riding to get a better idea of what's going on

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What Chevy said ^^^^^^ Does it do it on either right or left specifically or is it hard left turn only. Inspect all you wires, cables, and Upper/lower triple clamps fo possible obstruction or interference.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on cables binding up. You should be able to duplicate the problem in the garage and definitly NOT ON THE STREET.

The steering lock assembly works ONLY when the florks are FULLY TURNED TO THE STOP and the key further turned past the off position.

Its really not likely its the steering head bearings as if they were worn, they'd get sloppy and loose.

I'm betting the PO changed out a cable, did a mod of some sort and now somethings binding up...

If you can take a couple of close up pictures, look for something with excessive wear/paint worn off, etc should point you in the direction of the problem..

IMHO, I WOULD NOT RIDE THAT BIKE until the problem is found/fixed..

Do you know if the bike had been dropped at any time (not just a tip over in the parking lot but with some speed, force)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the steering lock, for some reason came loose from the steering head, you should be able to see it at the bottom of the steering head (located in the frame).

It would be very unusual but not long ago, a previous poster bought a known crashed bike not knowing the steering head was cracked, ie FRAME TOTALED.. Should you be in the same boat, the lock assembly could cause problems..

Try using the steering lock, while stopped and see if the pin extends and retracts visably. It'll be just at the bottom of the ignition switch, the pin is maybe just over .5"s Its kinda hard to see and you really need a flashlight with the bars at full turn to the left. There might be an 1/8" between the pin and the frame but it is visable from the right side.

Last edited:

jvbull86

Reaction score
Visit site
In my years of scouring the Internet on FZ6 related issues, I've yet to hear of a similar issue. If it were at the recall level in terms of consistency, we'd have heard.

How much (degrees, inches) are you actually turning the bars? Even at low speeds, I only turn them marginally.

Are the cables binding at all? Possibly too tight or catching on something when turned to a large degree? Do the bars actually "lock" or after the fall are they free again?

Can you mimic the problem without the bike moving?

Hopefully someone else can help. If you're at a loss, definitely take it in as I wouldn't want anyone riding something that they didn't feel completely stable on.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

the bars free up again after the fall. i feel it might be a cable, but ive tested the steering numerous times and it never has any binding or issuses it just turns like it should.

With all the input i feel better about trying to narrow down to a reason why it happened, ill try and post back my findings if they might help someone else in the future

Thanks for the help FZ Forum,
god bless 'merica!

:america:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the bars free up again after the fall. i feel it might be a cable, but ive tested the steering numerous times and it never has any binding or issuses it just turns like it should.

With all the input i feel better about trying to narrow down to a reason why it happened, ill try and post back my findings if they might help someone else in the future

Thanks for the help FZ Forum,
god bless 'merica!

:america:

Not mentioned, is it a right or left turn or both?

Also, get a friend to help, if it locks making a right turn, have your buddy help tilt the bike to the right. Should it be a cable, steering lock, etc, duplicate the conditions as close as possible

A cable may be flopping down/binding when tilted vs on the centerstand (where it won't be a problem).

Some pictures posted may show an obvious cable NOT ROUTED correctly by a PO you aren't aware of.. Focus (pun intended) around the upper triple clamp, throttle cables, and clutch cable. Make sure you check that steering lock cylinder isn't falling out either...

Last edited:

cjjones18

Reaction score
Visit site
To be more accurate it's the throttle position sensor (tps) and not the sprocket itself but the sprocket nut and lock washer[/QUOte/]

yea thats it i just knew it was something with the sprocket and throttle thanks for the correction.:thumbup:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
My 2004 has been fine since new, but many people have posted about their steering head bearings becoming totally shot. I'd imagine if the bearing was so bad that it was partially frozen, that could cause what you've experienced.