Possible Crack in Timing Chain Case

Freefly08

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All;
I have a question that hopefully someone can elighten me on. I have a 2005 FZ6, purchased used. There are marks that the bike has been put down but not at any great speed just scuffs. Well the scuff parts actually upon closer inspection show a small hairline fracture on what I believe is the timing chain cover. It is a small cover on the right side of the bike just below and to the right of the engine mount. There is a large plug with a slot in the middle (about 1"diameter). After I took the bike for a ride I parked her and checked back on her and there was 2 drops of oil on the ground. I have looked through the online manuals and there is no reference of this cover, I will go buy complete repair book but that wont be for a few more days. Basically my question; is this the timing chain cover (assuming this is an inblock cam with pushrods) and what is the method for checking the oil level in there? I will have it replaced however until I know what I am replacing I want to verify I am not going to bleed out and snap a chain.
If pics are needed I will put some up. Any help or questions are appreciated.
Cheers

Hey All;
I have a question that hopefully someone can elighten me on. I have a 2005 FZ6, purchased used. There are marks that the bike has been put down but not at any great speed just scuffs. Well the scuff parts actually upon closer inspection show a small hairline fracture on what I believe is the timing chain cover. It is a small cover on the right side of the bike just below and to the right of the engine mount. There is a large plug with a slot in the middle (about 1"diameter). After I took the bike for a ride I parked her and checked back on her and there was 2 drops of oil on the ground. I have looked through the online manuals and there is no reference of this cover, I will go buy complete repair book but that wont be for a few more days. Basically my question; is this the timing chain cover (assuming this is an inblock cam with pushrods) and what is the method for checking the oil level in there? I will have it replaced however until I know what I am replacing I want to verify I am not going to bleed out and snap a chain.
If pics are needed I will put some up. Any help or questions are appreciated.
Cheers

No need to buy a Manual, you can download it here:

Download the 2004 service manual, and then the add on for 2005 :)

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/320-2004-through-2007-manuals-download-here.html

And take some pictures of it !!!

Ben

yeah, it is the Timing chain cover... or more precise, Crankshaft position sensor cover. It's in section 5-42 of the service manual that was linked to by PrayHarder. (well, that's on the 2004 book, mine's a year older).

:)

If the case is cracked, you will not be able to repair it, and it will not be worth it.

I crashed my bike 2 years ago and the timing chain cover started leaking about 6 months ago. It turns out the fix I did with JB weld was not permanent and I ended up having to buy the cover anyways.

What's the p/n? I've been looking in the fish and I can't find anything labled, "Timing Chain Case". It is the oil pump cover, or the crank case cover?

If so, Woodcraft makes so really, really, really, really (lots of really) cool track case covers for the various years of the R6. I assume one of those set would fit, no?

Woodcraft-CFM :: Engine Covers > Yamaha > R6 03-05

Thanks everyone for your help... and the look for the DOHC comment... that one made me laugh a little. After the first post for where the manuals are I realized it is not an in-block cam. I guess it is the Chevy Brain in me that cant get away from that idea. :p
Right now I did a quick JB weld fix and will hold until I can get the new part in. This weekend I am in the Motorcycle training course and will get the pics up before the weekend is out.
As for the oil it was a question if the oil in there is the regular crankcase oil or if it has its own oil supply (snowmobile style) but it appears that it is the reg engine oil so not a problem on checking and replacing.
Cheers

What's the p/n? I've been looking in the fish and I can't find anything labled, "Timing Chain Case". It is the oil pump cover, or the crank case cover?

I don't have a p/n, but it's called the "pickup rotor cover".

coverwd2.jpg

Back