POS Scammers!

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
So I listed my bike on craigslist and this is what I get.

POS- staciehenneinken: Wil like to know the condition and the final askin price of
the bike,get back to me at [email protected] so we cn talk better.Stacy

Me- Condition is great, price is $3500 firm

POS- Hello and thanks for getting back to me now. Do like to let you know
that i am willing to make the immediate payment of this bike via a US
Certified Cashier Check so i want you to get back to me with your full
name and address with phone where the check payment will be mail out
to now.
Regards
Stacie

Me- How about I meet you at a bank and we can take care of everything there.

POS- Hello and thanks for getting back to me now. I do like to let you know that i am presently out of my state on a church mission and will not be able to come and look at the truck so i want you to get back to me now with the final asking price and will be making the immediate payment via a US Certified Cashier Check so i want you to get back to me with your name and address where the check payment should be mail out to asap.
Waiting to read from you soon
Regards

Me-Nice. Its a motorcycle! You need to work on your scamming abilities.It's. amazing that you people are such scum that you prey on people that will fall for this.

I have not gotten a reply back from the POS, wonder why?

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad they didn't get you!

I would think the broken English would be a big warning sign.

What really sucks is that someone else is going to fall for it.

kober1

Reaction score
Visit site
That is crazy. What would you have done if it didn't say truck in the third response? It obviously all looks fishy now but do you think you would have shut him down anyway or what? Not sure why anyone would buy a used bike without seeing it in person or the person they are buying it from but who knows.

Another thought, what are these scamers trying to get from people. Obviously you would have a name, address and cell phone number, is this for identity theft or what?

A**holes :spank:

1adam1212

Reaction score
Visit site
From Craigslist:

Examples of Scams
1. Someone claims that craigslist will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that craigslist will handle or provide protection for a payment.

These claims are fraudulent, as craigslist does not have any role in any transaction.
Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from craigslist, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!
2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for your services.
value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)
3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:

Scam "bait" items include apartments, laptops, TVs, cell phones, tickets, and other high value items
Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.
Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
Apartment listing may be local, but landlord/owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad
Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, rent is below market, etc
4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:

this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE
sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check
deal often seems too good to be true
5. distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.

most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers
for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"
6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods

he says he trusts you with the partial payment
he may say he has already shipped the goods
deal often sounds too good to be true
7. foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds

foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly
you are typically offered a percentage of payments received
this kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, but the idea of someone actually falling for such stupidity is quite humorous to me. Annoying to deal with these people as a seller though. Time wasters.
This is one area where eBay has big edge over CL. Buyer/seller feedback. Never gotten requests like that on eBay, but the new fees are outrageous.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I sell on CL and get this all the time. If they ask me something that's already covered in the ad (like price, condition, color, etc.) I don't even respond.

Also, didn't happen in your case, but if they ask if the "item" is still for sale, rather than naming what I'm selling, I don't respond to these either.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out 419eater.com

419 is the penal code for fraud in Nigeria. Since a high number of these scammers are from Nigeria (who knows why) a couple of American guys have started up this website to scam the scammers. There are some hilarious stories of would-be victims scamming the scammers. Sometimes the scammers are sent on wild goose chases with no end in sight. Sometimes the scammers are ask to (and actually do) perform stupid stunts or take embarrassing photos of themselves. There are a couple youtube clips of these idiots performing skits for 'prize money'. The best story was of a guy who tried to scam a church. The 419eater guys (or one of their members) led this scammer on a elaborate trip that got him stranded in another country for 3 months. I don't have the time to waste on these fools, and apart of me feels bad for them and their situation, but right is right, and wrong is wrong, no matter who you are...

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out 419eater.com

419 is the penal code for fraud in Nigeria. Since a high number of these scammers are from Nigeria (who knows why) a couple of American guys have started up this website to scam the scammers. There are some hilarious stories of would-be victims scamming the scammers. Sometimes the scammers are sent on wild goose chases with no end in sight. Sometimes the scammers are ask to (and actually do) perform stupid stunts or take embarrassing photos of themselves. There are a couple youtube clips of these idiots performing skits for 'prize money'. The best story was of a guy who tried to scam a church. The 419eater guys (or one of their members) led this scammer on a elaborate trip that got him stranded in another country for 3 months. I don't have the time to waste on these fools, and apart of me feels bad for them and their situation, but right is right, and wrong is wrong, no matter who you are...

Oh man, that's frickin' hilarious!

I had a camcorder that I was selling on eBay. Someone bid it up and up, up to a ridiculous amount. I thought that was a little odd, but it's not the first time I've had someone willing to overpay for something I'm selling. As it turns out, it was some dude in Nigeria, that hacked someone's account, and was using it to get free stuff. He sent a fake Paypal email, saying that the item needed to be shipped, before the funds could be transfered. Yeah, right. And he kept hassling me, trying to get me to ship it out ASAP. I ignored him, and he then sent a fake FBI notice! LOL As if the FBI would really get involved with some trivial consumer affair. The Paypal email looked fairly legit, except that Paypal doesn't do that sort of thing, and the email address was wrong. The FBI notice was fake as can be though, as it was chock full of poor English and misspellings. Good times, good times......

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
That is crazy. What would you have done if it didn't say truck in the third response? It obviously all looks fishy now but do you think you would have shut him down anyway or what? Not sure why anyone would buy a used bike without seeing it in person or the person they are buying it from but who knows.

Another thought, what are these scamers trying to get from people. Obviously you would have a name, address and cell phone number, is this for identity theft or what?

A**holes :spank:

I new it was a scam prior to that that is why I asked him to meet me.