POS kickstands...

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a little accident this morning with my FZ6, well kind of. My bike has the Soupy's Performance lowering kit with the adjustable kickstand and I've hated the kickstand ever since I got it, can't park anywhere because the foot is too small. I had my bike parked on my black top driveway last night right next to my husband's Honda cruiser, we had rain last night and I woke up this morning to see that my bike had fallen over onto my husband's. The damned kickstand had punched a hole into the blacktop and sunk in a good 6". My gas tank is screwed and there's a bunch of scratches all over the left hand side of my bike. My husband's bike was still standing, holding up my bike since his has a nice, long cruiser style kickstand. Why don't they make sport bike kickstands longer and bigger like the cruiser stands? I might have to do some welding this winter to make my kickstand usable.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM stand doesn't work with the lowering kit? If your side stand sunk into the asphalt, there was a good chance the stock stand would have done the same. Keeping a crushed soda can be handy in your situation.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks... And NOT a cheap fix..

I carry a small kick stand pad (even for my stock kick stand) should I have to park in the grass, etc. Its oval, plastic, about 3" x 4".

You may consider just shortening up the stocker, and re-weld the stock pad (or make a larger one) to the shortened shaft.

The only thing with a larger pad, I currently drag mine on full lean, left turns (and have a flat spot literally on the kick stand)..

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the crushed coke can. My family's gravel driveway is so loose that the center stand even sinks down to the cross bar, but the can keeps the side stand on top easily.

I used to have a real nice puck made of scrap marine plywood with a dimple carved out for the stand, but I left it laying somewhere, so only cans now. :rolleyes:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How new is the black top and how hot is it there? I've had similar experiences with boat jack stands sinking for the above reasons. Sucks that it happened and sorry to hear about it.

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a little metal puck I use on gravel but have always thought blacktop was safe. The driveway is old but in good shape where I parked, I think the rain did it cause it wasn't too hot yesterday. I don't think the stock kickstand would work, I've got a Soupy's lowering link and a Hyperpro lowering kit installed too. My insurance should cover it but I'll probably regret it when my rates go up:spank: Anyone have a new or new looking black tank they want to sell?

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate to say it but it probably has more to do with the blacktop than the kickstand. This is a, I'll say, fairly common occurrence in the sport bike world. I avoid blacktop, especially the crack sealer spots.

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally had my dented tank fixed. $700 :( (mine was from falling off though, not the stands fault...)

Couldn't find a good condition black one, new ones don't come black...

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, sorry that happened. I've been lucky with the stock side stand but I do remember my Ninja 250 had a very pointy kickstand like yours and I was in my friend's dealership BS'n and came out and it was starting to get sucked into the molten asphalt of the parking lot.

My dad's '85 Honda Interceptor has a pretty beastly side stand (cruiser style) and I always thought the OEM FZ stand was good but for your special case you may want some kind of a puck or other means of spreading out the contact area and properly supporting the stand stalk...

This interceptor has a kickstand like my dads... maybe you could get something similar fabbed for you!
IMAGE_109.jpg

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally had my dented tank fixed. $700 :( (mine was from falling off though, not the stands fault...)

Couldn't find a good condition black one, new ones don't come black...

The new ones should come painted, I just called this dealer yesterday and they said the tank that has "SMX" in the part number is the metallic black and it is factory painted. The other tank is the blue one. The black tank is listed as FUEL TANK COMP. UR FOR SMX 5VX-YK241-30-P3 and sells for $467
PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is similar to what I use, cheap ($7.00) and very effective:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/KiWAV-Motorcycle-kickstand-support-outdoor/dp/B00CPGQ1GO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403870068&sr=8-2&keywords=kick+stand+pad"]Amazon.com: KiWAV Motorcycle kickstand pad support black x1 piece soft ground outdoor parking: Automotive[/ame]

I actually got mine free, drilled a small hole in it and can tuck it in between the tag and the fender (so I'm not putting a filthy puck under the seat)..

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
This is similar to what I use, cheap ($7.00) and very effective:

Amazon.com: KiWAV Motorcycle kickstand pad support black x1 piece soft ground outdoor parking: Automotive

I actually got mine free, drilled a small hole in it and can tuck it in between the tag and the fender (so I'm not putting a filthy puck under the seat)..

I got a puck from Mike after taking the ARC with MSF Ohio - Haven't had to use it much, I like the idea of keeping it out from under the seat, I'll try to find a place to tuck mine :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a puck from Mike after taking the ARC with MSF Ohio - Haven't had to use it much, I like the idea of keeping it out from under the seat, I'll try to find a place to tuck mine :)

I have the stock rear fender but removed the steel tag holder. The tag now bolts direct to the plastic.

Just below the tag, on the plastic fender is a tab that sticks up(why its there, dunno). I drilled a small hole in that puck (on one end).

That hole goes over that TAB and the tag holds it nice and tight between the tag and fender.

Obviously, with a tag eliminator kit, this won't work... I like the looks of the kits but I prefer no road dirt flung up my back on a wet road, so I left the stock rear on...

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously, with a tag eliminator kit, this won't work... I like the looks of the kits but I prefer no road dirt flung up my back on a wet road, so I left the stock rear on...

I'm creative - my tag holder is actually bolted to the top rear of the subframe (where the stock exhaust holder bolted on) so I figured any sort of standard setup you had wouldn't work form.

Since my bike is naked, wet roads mean that my chest/helmet already get covered in grime, so if I didn't get it on my back people would begin to ask questions - gotta keep it balanced.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the crushed coke can. My family's gravel driveway is so loose that the center stand even sinks down to the cross bar, but the can keeps the side stand on top easily.

I used to have a real nice puck made of scrap marine plywood with a dimple carved out for the stand, but I left it laying somewhere, so only cans now. :rolleyes:

I have a little puck too. How do you pick it up after you've picked the bike up off the kickstand (I'm not strong enough to hold it up while leaned over)? I punched a hole in the puck and tied a string to it. I just pull on the string to pick up the puck. :cheer:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i just bend over and pick mine up too.

To the OP, that kickstand does look terrible, i would either cut the stock one shorter and weld it or buy a different brand.

you can get aluminum bolt on kickstand pads on ebay for $25 that are nice or you could epoxy one of the black plastic ones on your kickstand.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also (but you need a TIG welder) just weld an aluminum plate to the bottom of what you currently have.

You could use the stocker as a template and enlarge to suit your needs.

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a little puck too. How do you pick it up after you've picked the bike up off the kickstand (I'm not strong enough to hold it up while leaned over)? I punched a hole in the puck and tied a string to it. I just pull on the string to pick up the puck. :cheer:

I've got the same issue, I'm too short to be able to use a puck, I'd have to have someone else put it under my kickstand or pick it up for me. I usually leave it in my husbands saddle bag. I think this winter I'll have to weld a longer, wider foot onto my kickstand in the mean time I'll just have my husband handy or park on solid ground. Looks like the damage is about $750 in parts, hopefully my insurance thinks so too.