Please wear your helmets...

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
:( I fully believe in ATGATT and wish that others did as well. :(

On Saturday Sep 24th, Barry Lundquest, a good buddy of mine from Mesa AZ, went down on the freeway. He was on an American Legion group ride for charity. The cars slammed on their brakes and so did the rider in front of Barry. He swerved to miss the other rider (who also went down). He ended up low-siding. He suffered severe head trauma, a broken rib, and road rash. In AZ, they do not have a mandatory helmet law and Barry wasn't wearing his. He has been in a coma and had to have multiple brain surgeries. This weekend they started to decrease his sedation levels and try to get some kind of responses from him. There haven't been any yet. The doctors are saying that it does not look good...

I loved the guy, he was one of the groomsmen at my wedding. But the part that kills me the most is seeing how this accident has devastated his wife of 5 years, Amy, and three young children, Harley (5), London (4) and Jared-Hunter (1.5). My heart breakes for them.

A charity ride has been setup for the two riders that went down. If you are in the Pheonix area PLEASE consider attending. http://diamondbackknives.com/RidersDown.pdf
View attachment 38514

If you are not in the Pheonix area, but still want to help this family out, a donation site has been setup.
The Barry Lundquest Benefit Fund

Even though we can't take away the Lundquest family's pain, we can help reduce the stress of medical bills. $5 or $10 from enough people can be a HUGE help.

If you are not able to attend the ride or help this family out financially, then please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

And for F's-sake ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET... remembering how cooled they looked on their bike is the last thing on people's minds when they have tubes feeding them and breathing for them.

~Steve

Last edited:

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your friends. I am also a big fan of ATGATT!! It can and will save you big time, when you have a crash, all though none of us are really planning on crashing, but it is always a possibility. If the ride were a little closer to me, I would probably be there.

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, ya if I wasn't across the country from them (north south) then I would also be there. It sounds like these Legion fellas know how to throw down.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's horrible just because his head injuries could have been reduced by simply wearing a DOT approved helmet. If you are not going to wear it for yourself, you have to do it for your family.

I hope he was responsible enough to be be covered medically too as well as life insurance to take any financial burden away from this tragic incident.

This is the reason why states have implemented helmet laws.