Please tell me what is wrong with this clutch cable (pics included)

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike in April and I have been lazy about lubing the clutch cable, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I was riding to work and the clutch went half soft and didn't pop all the way back when I released it. I had to ride home with only a few strands left- see pictures. I was very nervous about possibly losing the cable on the ride home. Now I am waiting until next week for the replacement cable. Can anyone tell me what would have caused this? I want to make sure to install the new cable correctly.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it was torn up further down, sometimes they catch at the adjuster and begin cutting into the aluminum there. That's so close to the swaged end, that I just don't see why it would break there?

Has this bike even been down before? Any reason to think someone rammed the lever area into something (damaged level and bar mount area) and reused the cable? I tend to think NOT but I've never seen a cable fail so close to the end. I don't think you have chronic issue that will repeat itself so a new cable should fix it.

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I am not aware of it being down (not by me at least!) I think maybe the lever wasn't adjusted properly and lubing was badly needed. I can barely move it when it is disconnected like it is now.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike in April and I have been lazy about lubing the clutch cable, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I was riding to work and the clutch went half soft and didn't pop all the way back when I released it. I had to ride home with only a few strands left- see pictures. I was very nervous about possibly losing the cable on the ride home. Now I am waiting until next week for the replacement cable. Can anyone tell me what would have caused this? I want to make sure to install the new cable correctly.
This looks like a pure maintenance issue to me. When I was a bike courier, bikes were ridden into the ground with nil maintenance. I have seen a few clutch cables fray and wear here.
Neil

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's just regular wear and tear, but I'm in the contingent that modern cables do not need to be lubed.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be ordering a clutch cable too then:eek: lol
Neil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be order a clutch cable too then:eek: lol
Neil

I'm on my third one, thanks :D

First one was stiff as hell at 32k km's. Second was changed as a precaution at 86k km but was fine.

At ~$40 a cable, I have no problem changing them

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
dont worry if you are awesum enough you can work the clutch with your right hand directly on the clutch cover.....and then just clutchless shift up and down.....but seriously just replace it and all is well :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And nay a drop of lubrication in site. I have new found respect for the manufacturer. Hang on a minute, I need to check the "do you use your clutch thread poll".
Maybe you only pulled the lever twice in all those miles? Lol.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm on my third one, thanks :D

First one was stiff as hell at 32k km's. Second was changed as a precaution at 86k km but was fine.

At ~$40 a cable, I have no problem changing them

A $6.00 can of cable spray, a clamp on pressure tool and 10 minutes will make your clutch a whole lot easier to pull. Besides saving a bunch of $, a left hand larger than the right, you'll be checking the condition of your cable as well and potentially keep from being stranded.

For the OP: I'd also add just a touch of grease to the barrell end of the cable (where it fits in the lever), clean and re-grease the lever itself/perch if it hasn't been done in awhile too..