Plasti-dipping rims

arronjackson

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking. The big question - will it hold up against all the dirt from the road and chain lube stuff - cleaning it might be problematic as you'd better not use any solvents :)
Funny I just cleaned the chain and lubed it, used a cardboard shield. As for washing just a high pressure hose and soapy water.

Quick question does the chain drag on the guard rails near the front sprocket and make a clicking noise when rotating the wheel for you guys? I thought I needed more lube but the rear sprocket is quiet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Quick question does the chain drag on the guard rails near the front sprocket and make a clicking noise when rotating the wheel for you guys? I thought I needed more lube but the rear sprocket is quiet.

The chain will ride on that guide but shouldn't click. That's a strong indication of the chain links seizing up/chain wore out.

Take off the ft sprocket cover and slowly rotate the wheel forward. Watch as the chain comes off the front sprocket.

The chain SHOULD STRAIGHTEN OUT IMMEDIATELY.

In your case, I suspect some of your links will NOT straighten, not good.

Last edited:

arronjackson

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain will ride on that guide but shouldn't click. That's a strong indication of the chain links seizing up/chain wore out.

Take off the ft sprocket cover and slowly rotate the wheel forward. Watch as the chain comes off the front sprocket.

The chain SHOULD STRAIGHTEN OUT IMMEDIATELY.

In your case, I suspect some of your links will NOT straighten, not good.
I don't know if I would call it a click, I just don't know how much noise is normal when rotating the tire

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Simply examine where the chain come off the ft sprocket.

I wouldn't ignore it. If the chain is worn out, it can and do break. If you don't wreck, you may VERY WELL (and its documented here)
throw the chain thru the case (and the engine is now a parts engine).

How many miles on the chain, has it been maintained regularly?

arronjackson

Reaction score
Visit site
Simply examine where the chain come off the ft sprocket.

I wouldn't ignore it. If the chain is worn out, it can and do break. If you don't wreck, you may VERY WELL (and its documented here)
throw the chain thru the case (and the engine is now a parts engine).

How many miles on the chain, has it been maintained regularly?
First off thanks a lot for all your help and suggestions.

The bike has 18,000km and the previous owner piled the chain a lot, possibly too much...

I took the guard off today and there was a lot of sticky build up in there. I took our about a chicken nugget sized wad of goop and cleaned it up good.

I also tightened the chain tension to the upper end of the manual spec. The chain is a bit quieter now but still has a but of noise coming from the front sprocket (possibly normal?)

The chain will move side to side just under a half inch. There's also a tiny bit of side to side play on the rear sprocket. I don't know if this is normal but cleaning it and tightening the chain definitely helped.

Thanks again

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some side to side play is normal... If you can see wear on the sprocket, sides, any hooking or can pull the chain AWAY from the rear sprocket its worn.

Can you post a pic or two?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless by chance it has a 520 sprocket and 530 chain...
Any chance you can measure how much it actually moves?
A Veneer caliper would be handy but you could toss anything solid against the sprocket, mark with a sharpie and measure the difference.