Planning to buy a new (to me) Fz6--registration check?

remn

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've decided to trade in my Suzuki GS500 for an Fz6. I finally found a good deal on a 2004 with 20,000 miles and I'll be going out tomorrow or the next day to check it out. It seems like a legit deal just from talking to the seller on the phone; but I've gotten that feeling over the phone before replying to Craigslist auto ads, only to waste an afternoon busing out to an obvious scam.

Of course I'll be vetting the bike itself carefully, to make sure its condition is as described. One other thing I want to check on is any potential registration issues. I live in California. The bike is currently registered in PA and I want to be sure I won't run into trouble registering it here. I'm just wondering if any CA-residing Fz6 riders out there could tip me off to any registration issues this bike is known to have in the state. I know the Suzuki GS500 has some extra smog junk added in for the ones sold in California, which makes it difficult to register ones originally bought out of state. Anything like that with the FZ6, or anything else I should look out for? Thanks for any tips, I look forward to joining the FZ6 community :D

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6's sold in Cali have a smog device as well, not sure if you can register without it someone else will need to chime in. As for out of state title you usually just have to go to do a VIN inspection at the DMV at a designated area so they verify the VIN is the same and will issue you a new title.

Remember if you are unsure you can always request they go with you to the DMV :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

Yes, I would check with DMV for further info on registering an out of state vehicle here in Cali.

ChadK_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike has over 7500 miles so you should be fine with registration. If it had under 7500 and you tried to register it the VIN would be blacklisted and not able to be registered in CA.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

Are you buying the bike from PA or the guy just moved from PA and I would question why he had not changed the registration over to CA. Legally you have 20 days to register the vehicle in CA if you move here.

How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

remn

Reaction score
Visit site
The seller started acting suspicious so I decided it was probably a scam. After I texted him asking for the VIN, he sent it to me, then 5 minutes later texted again saying he was taking down the ad until I make up my mind. I checked and the ad was deleted from Craigslist. So my search continues, I'll be getting my FZ6 soon :D