Pimpson's LV One review....

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
First an apology: I originally intended on doing a whole how to write up with lots of pictures, but time ran short. I typed up a review for the forum, then accidentally closed the wrong window and lost it all. :eek: This will be much shorter than originally planned, but I'll amend things later because I'm tired of staring at the computer screen.

Short version: Pipecity.com totally rocks! Megan @ Pipecity rocks! She was instrumental in keeping LeoUSA on their toes, and even got them to express ship me the very first FZ6 LV One in the USA. :rockon:

Packaging:
ed7c9a2f.jpg
ba2596a1.jpg
5fa86dd9.jpg

All items were packaged very well, and the pipes were double wrapped in insulated cardboard. The first thing I noticed was the red papers with warnings on them. (more on that in a minute) The box also contained 2 of the discs with holes in them, and a letter with my name on it.

The install:
After reading all of the horror stories about the install of some previous Leo systems, I was pleasantly surprised that I had a pretty straight forward install. There has been some changes from the previous system, and I'll do my best to describe them here. The y pipe is now a 45 degree bend. It puts the h shaped pipe much closer to the underside of the bike's tool area. Leo includes a heavy duty piece of foil backed tape to apply to the area closest to the new "h" connector. Time will tell if that becomes an issue.
2e566df1.jpg
e534872b.jpg
The other big change is the removal of the stock metal bracket that holds the license plate and indicators. It is replaced with 2 long metal brackets and a "L" shaped bracket. This “L” shaped bracket is the only thing that caused me some trouble. I couldn’t get the holes to line up to put the bolt through, but after taking a break and coming back to it, everything lined up fine. You will have to cut the small white zip ties that hold the rear indicator wires on the stock bracket, but Leo provides a pair of black ones to replace them. The new pipes are either not as wide as the old ones, or the new hanger that runs between them is narrower because they were not even close to hitting each other. I was still able to use my Competition Werks fender eliminator as well.

The Exhaust:
0660a213.jpg

The pipes come with the db killers already installed, so the first thing I wanted to do was remove them. There’s a small, black rubber plug in the end cap that covers the access hole used to remove the screws holding the db killers in place. I could not get those damn plugs out for the life of me! I tried using needle nose pliers and ended up ripping the edge off of the plug, but the plug was still stuck. I ended up pushing the plugs IN to the end caps, then I made a little hook out of wire to grab and yank them back out of the end caps. I’m just going to leave those stupid things out. Remember the red warning papers littered throughout the box? The new cans have thermo something (Plastic) endcaps that are supposed to exceed the carbon fiber's end cap heat durability by more than 100 degrees. Kinda odd that they now give you these little metal rings that must be installed if you run the exhaust without the db killers. They go in just like the db killers, and have a set screw as well. I think it does look a little nicer with them in there, though. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the rings, but they are seen in one of the videos. The db killers were a little tough to remove, but with lots of tugging and pulling, out they popped.
c335d687.jpg
d9a6f4bf.jpg

The Sound!:

Wow! wow! wow! So much better! On the first start, I began smiling before the engine even came to life. As the bike was cranking, I could hear the exhaust. Once it began running, I was grinning ear to ear! No more sewing machine sound! It was getting late by the time I was finally done, so I had to keep it short, but I couldn't wait until my ride to work the next morning. I leave for work at 4:30am, and live in a pretty nice, quiet neighborhood. I was nervous about how loud it would be, so I rolled out of the garage, got on all of my gear, then pushed the start button. HOLY CRAP! Nice, quiet court no more! I headed to work, being careful not to rev it anymore than necessary until I was out of the city. I had a blast just listening to the sound of my exhaust the entire time to work. I don't think I've ever had that much fun heading TO work. I noticed that once the bike reached temp, the idle was really loping. hmmm. I now have the db killers installed, and I'll probably leave it that way. I don't want to be the a-hole neighbor that everyone frowns at when I come by. At idle, the tone is much deeper whether the db killers are in or out. At speed, the bike is quieter with the db killers in, but still much louder than stock. I'm very happy with the sound.

The Videos:
All were taken with my iPhone 4, and are unedited. I can never seem to get the inbedding right, so maybe someone can help out with that.

Stock: YouTube - FZ6 stock exhaust
db killers out YouTube - FZ6 with Leo Vince LV One (db killers out)
db killers in: YouTube - FZ6 with Leo Vince LV One (db killers installed)
no exhaust! YouTube - FZ6 with no muffler

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking and sounding pipes... makes me almost wish I had waiting to get these ones instead of the ones I got this winter. Still, as you said: The LV pipes definitely eliminate the 'sewing machine' sound! :D

Taku

Not a senile member.
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy mother of mercy it sounds HEAVENLY!

And I embedded the videos for you...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDtOXlXn64]YouTube - FZ6 stock exhaust[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcMhNjfBoY]YouTube - FZ6 with Leo Vince LV One (db killers installed)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-4PtqhDec]YouTube - FZ6 with Leo Vince LV One (db killers out)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQDeWEzfVt8]YouTube - FZ6 with no muffler[/ame]

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a set of these or the 2 Brothers, but I keep hesitating because I'm scared about interferance with the givi rack/bag setup. Man I hate having to fab something ghetto up. But I am BORED with the stock sound, and I want a set of new cans (who doesn't) to keep me from having too many thoughts of other bikes. No bike payment = pretty nice.

Sparky10

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! I just received mine today. And now that the kids are in the bed, I will likely be in the garage shortly to get them on. But from just looking at them, I am glad I didn't get the old ones. Mine are cf, and soooooooo sexy!

And I have to agree. Pipe City, and Meagan in partlicular, totaly rocks! She called me the day they shipped to make sure I knew that they had shipped out, and that I had an email with a tracking #.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk