Pilot Power 3

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, the Pirelli Angels seem like really good tires. I've had no issues to report with them and I plan to eventually wear them out with time. Since deciding to move closer to work I no longer have to commute on the highway at all, so I figured I can afford to get more sporty tires this season that may not get the same mileage as the Angels and I'm really anxious to try them out.

I picked up a pair of Pilot Power 3s and am ready to take the wheels in to get the tires switched out. It's a lot cheaper around here to dismount the wheels myself and just have the shop do the tires.

:needpics:

Here's where I'm at...

Old tires (maybe 500 miles on them if that)

angels_zps1e7322b7.jpg

New Tires
newtires_zps2678a46b.jpg

Pilot Power 3

pilotpower3_zps4b094ea2.jpg

Missing wheels
Bikenotires_zps4ea1e573.jpg

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't wait for your review. Maybe a first 100 miles and then after a 1000 miles. I have been waiting patiently for someone to take the plunge on the Pilot Power 3's as I'm burning through my PR2's

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe these replaced the Pures, so the latest and greatest by Michelin. I just picked up a set of Pures for $250 a couple of months ago so my next swap will most likely be these.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, they did replace the Power Pures. In fact after reading reviews I tried desperately to pick up a set of Pures, but unfortunately I could not find a front in the proper size and didn't want to jump down to a 60 series. These ran me about $269 for the set, and the Pures (with the wrong size front) was going to run me $249, so not a huge price difference considering the Pures were on clearance.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilot Power 3 Tire Review
Thursday, April 18, 2013
Adam Waheed - Associate Editor

Considering the ever increasing power-to-weight ratio of newer sport-oriented road bikes, it’s no surprise that motorcycle tires are one of the first wear and tear components in need of replacement. Michelin offers a fresh rubber option with its newly released Pilot Power 3. The latest version replaces both the Pilot Pure and Pilot Power 2CT and is targeted to motorcyclists who spend most of their time riding on the street but still want the performance for an occasional day at the track.

Similarly to the Anakee III dual-sport tire (read about it in the Michelin Anakee III Tire Review) the Pilot Power 3 makes use of an updated profile making it more responsive. The construction of the tire’s plies was also tweaked for added bump absorption/flex during braking and more stiffness near maximum lean angles.

The Power 3 continues to incorporate the French company’s dual compound tread zones, only with a twist. While the front tire is of conventional design with a softer rubber flanked (25% tread surface on either side) between a more durable compound at the center (50% tread surface), the rear hoop takes things further by incorporating what Michelin calls its 2CT+ technology. This design incorporates a harder mixture throughout the base of the tire. A softer rubber formula is layered on top comprising 80% of the tire’s surface area when new. This was done to reduce squirm effect when accelerating hard off corners. It also enhances stability at lean.

The tread pattern was also altered for improved traction on wet surfaces while simultaneously enhancing wear characteristics, which amounts to added durability. Yet the design still incorporates a slick-like zone at the edges for superior maximum grip on dry roads when the lean angle is in excess of 40%.

We had the opportunity to spend about 45 minutes on the tires via a spirited street ride through curvy stretches of blacktop aboard a current generation Suzuki GSX-R600. The Power 3s feel similar to the outgoing Pure model with a flexible carcass that provides a high level of road sensation during both braking and turning maneuvers. Some might be alarmed by the degree of tire flex but it adds to the experience and allows the rider to better ascertain what the bike is doing compared to a more rigid tire. The tires were neutral and changed direction easily with minimal steering effort. Outright grip was excellent and we’d have no hesitation using it for a track day. During our riding loop some wet pavement was encountered and the tires were surefooted with zero slip or traction-related issues.

Michelin reps mentioned that the new Power 3 gained some weight in its redesign as compared to the lightweight Pilot Pure. While we didn’t get a chance to weigh the new hoops, we did lift and handled it during the video shoots and the lightness of the rear tire was noticeable. While we applaud Michelin at trying to raise its already lofty bar in terms of road performance, we didn’t have enough time seat time to determine if the tire is indeed better than the generation of rubber it replaces. Still, considering the abundant grip and rich road feel we would consider purchasing a set for our motorcycle.

The Michelin Pilot Power 3 Front Tire and Michelin Pilot Power 3 Rear Tire are available at Motorcycle-Superstore.com

SIZES: Front: 120/60-17, 120/70-17 Rear: 160/60-17, 180/55-17, 190/50-17, 190/55-17
MSRP: $184.95-186.95 (front) $233.95-292.95 (rear)

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't aware they replaced both tires, I just assumed the 2 CT would stick around as a cheaper option.

I got the tires installed on the wheels and they look awesome. Unfortunately at this point they only have 1 "garage" mile (from one end of the garage to the other) and some dust from the floor. We've had nothing but rain for the last few days, but hopefully tomorrow will be a better option.

In the meantime I also picked up some 250R mirrors and installed them! You've gotta make the rainy days pass somehow.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the tires installed on the wheels and they look awesome. Unfortunately at this point they only have 1 "garage" mile (from one end of the garage to the other) and some dust from the floor. We've had nothing but rain for the last few days, but hopefully tomorrow will be a better option.

In the meantime I also picked up some 250R mirrors and installed them! You've gotta make the rainy days pass somehow.

Your tires are designed to get wet too.

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Just ordered the same for the front to replace a Pilot Road 3 that has done well for 25tkm now but is worn now close to the wear limit. I will be keeping a 1/3-worn Pilot Road 3 in the rear for now as it probably will be a good match for the wear for the sportier front tire.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it. You said it. I just don't like riding in the rain because cleaning is a lot more to do afterward

Cleaning is a pain in the ass afterwards. Not to mention with new tires I think it's best to do your first ride on dry pavement before experimenting with wet pavement.

I will certainly have to test them out in the rain just to add that to my review, but I'll be honest, I'm a wimp in low traction areas (dust, dirt, gravel, water). A lot of people started on dirt bikes and are more familiar with lesser traction, but I'm not and haven't ever been on a dirt bike.

So far so good though, I've put about 60 miles on them, 40 city/20 hwy/0 twisties. There's now a clearly defined line between the rubber compound in the center vs the sides, which is nice to know.

6Lxg8vcvRGSQZCBh8pYrEP5k-U7eMtIDo6dGOQFdZ6s

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm at just about 175 miles and I have to say I'm very impressed. I'm by no means a hardcore riding like some of the other folks on here, but these tires inspire so much confidence in how well they handle.

I had an opportunity to finally take them through some twisties ~20 miles or so worth and it was absolutely amazing. Initial turn-in takes slightly more effort than the Pirelli Angels (which seemed to be a little steeper), but it's a more consistent turn-in. The grip is superb and really feels like they are hugging the corners begging to be pushed further. I'm really excited to see how well they hold up over time. They don't seem to be wearing much at all, which given the low mileage could easily change. I'll report back at probably about 500 miles and provide further insight.

Disclaimer: This is technically only my 5th set of tires, so by no means am I a "master rider," but I do hope to throw in a few track days this season if the opportunity arises. I'm currently investigating some ART classes, so we'll see how it goes :).

175 miles 150 hwy/city, 25 twisties
Power3-175miles_zps9bf90033.jpg

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
A week ago I ended up getting a nail in my rear tire and replaced both with some Pilot Power 3's. The next day I did a 450 mile ride to Tucson, up Mt. Lemmon and back. Very good tire, very good ride, once they started to get scrubbed in, my lean angles were a lot easier than on the Pilot Road 2's I had before. I felt like it was a very smooth transition into the lean and the side grip sticky factor was a lot better, but considering going from a sport touring tire to a hypersport tire that should be expected.

I did my usual run up South Mountain in Phoenix this week and found that I was able to stay in the center of the seat and still had faster speeds going through the corners. If I hang of the seat my steering is sharper than on the PR2's as well and if I hang off I'm mostly just standing up the bike it's so easy. They are looking like they are still new after about 800 miles. The traction is amazing in the corners and also under hard acceleration out of the corner.

Very good tire and if I can get 6,000-8,000 miles out of them it will be perfect.

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issue as the last guy. Nail in rear tire. I had just replaced front with power 3. Now that my carpet matchs the drapes it seems I have an entirely new bike. My confidence in the turns is making me want to get back on my bike as I type. I hope this set of tires feels the same till the end. Mind u I have 20 miles on new rear.