Picked up my new bike

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my 2009 FZ6 on Sunday and in under 24 hours I've already put 550 km on it. I drove my civic to work today since of the rain and holy hell it felt slow lol. I've been reading this forum quite a bit the past month in anticipation of getting my bike

View attachment 47610

View attachment 47611

When I downshift I notice sometimes it feels like nothings there and I have to tap it again harder to get that solid in gear feeling. Is this just a lubrication issue on the shift lever? or is it a common thing.

Also im thinking im going to remove the luggage rack for the time being until I actually buy a bag for it or plan a long trip, there are 2 bolts holding it in on either side of the brake light, any tips on getting at these? I almost had the whole rear plastics set off last night but the daylight got the best of me.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!

I also have a blue FZ6 and a 2000 model Honda Civic LX as my rainy/cold weather cage on wheels! :thumbup:

The shifting issue may just be that it needs an oil change (makes shifting stiff) or that you just aren't used to it yet. When is it stiff, when trying to go to first at a stop or when you try to downshift to accelerate to pass?

Sycotic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 09 as well. The shifting down feels a lot lighter than shifting up if that is what you are asking. Sometimes if I am a light, I pop it down once more to make sure it's in first.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2008 Fz6 and had that I think a similar issue to what you are describing. If I did not down shift to match speed, usually a gear for every 10 mph i.e. 3rd gear = 30, then I would get stuck in second or third at lights. I would try to make sure my foot had come all the way up and other such things.

I would have to basically at the light slowly release the clutch while applying light pressure to the shifter and it would grab the gear, then I would let up, and repeat the process until I got into first.

I had tried oil changes but did not find anything that was a fix other than the downshifting routine.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats, and Welcome!

Shifting the bike is like most bikes, a bit idiosyncratic but you'll get used to it. I just got a used BMW R1200GS and the shifting is totally different again, just a matter of getting used to it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2008 Fz6 and had that I think a similar issue to what you are describing. If I did not down shift to match speed, usually a gear for every 10 mph i.e. 3rd gear = 30, then I would get stuck in second or third at lights. I would try to make sure my foot had come all the way up and other such things.

I would have to basically at the light slowly release the clutch while applying light pressure to the shifter and it would grab the gear, then I would let up, and repeat the process until I got into first.

I had tried oil changes but did not find anything that was a fix other than the downshifting routine.

+1 on the above, down shift ONE GEAR at a time as you slow. Don't wait until your fully stopped to downshift 4-5 times.

It can be done but you generally, have to PARTIALLY release the clutch to get a transmission shaft to spin so the shifting forks will work (just the nature of the beast).

I'm not familiar with the rack, some close up pic's would help with figuring out how to remove it.

And congrates on the bike!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above, down shift ONE GEAR at a time as you slow. Don't wait until your fully stopped to downshift 4-5 times.

It can be done but you generally, have to PARTIALLY release the clutch to get a transmission shaft to spin so the shifting forks will work (just the nature of the beast).

Ive gotten more comfortable on the bike so my downshifting is timed better and seems to be easier to get it into gear, I was definitely trying to downshift multiple times at once before as I was stopping as i hadnt figured out my engine braking timing yet

I'm not familiar with the rack, some close up pic's would help with figuring out how to remove it.

Ive actually figured this one out too, they're Mow-Tech Alu-racks and the bolts in the back go into a plug you hammer into the frame tubing at the rear, so just some fiddling with the plastics to be able to reach the bolts properly.

I was out riding today and I'm hearing a ticking noise (one that seems very well documented on this site) I get it between 3500 and 4500 rpm mainly in first second and third when im going easy on the throttle, just noisy valves? I don't think it could be the cam chain tension since its only got 12500 km on it and the past owner seemed to religiously maintain it.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alot of the engines have ticks, some don't.

If you haven't already, I'd first do some basic maintainance to the machine, IE: change the engine oil and filter (motorcycle engine specific oil), clean and lube the chain and make sure the "Free play" (total up and down play is between 1.75" and 2".) A stinky chain link can make some ticking/clicking noise. If not maintained, (lubed), You could ruin it real quick between no lube, riding in the rain, misadjustment, etc. Mileage really doesn't mean anything with the chain, actual maintainance does...

If you pull off the LS front sprocket cover (3 allan head bolts, leave the shifter on), you can see the ft sprocket which is likely gooed up with old chain lube. You can also examine the chain for sticky links there. After it rounds the tight front sprocket, it should straighten out immediatly. If it doesn't, you likely found your ticking..

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to mention it goes away when i have the clutch engaged so I cant really see it being the chain, its super clean and well greased at the moment anyways.

Any thoughts on what it could be where it goes away when the clutch is in? I already have the amount of clutch free play on the top of my list to try to play with and see if it helps.