Phone Case/Holder Options

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have a garmin nuvo but usually only use it on longer rides not around town. Sometimes I need to go somewhere and having my gps on my phone would be handy. I have seen some nice cases that go on the handle bars or I also have a ball mount on mine. The phone I have is a Samsung Galaxy S2 (so not an almost tablet sized one). What are some good options?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have a garmin nuvo but usually only use it on longer rides not around town. Sometimes I need to go somewhere and having my gps on my phone would be handy. I have seen some nice cases that go on the handle bars or I also have a ball mount on mine. The phone I have is a Samsung Galaxy S2 (so not an almost tablet sized one). What are some good options?

One of the best brand/seller is RAM mounts for cellphones, phablets and tablets, similar to these:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Universal-X-Grip-Phablet/dp/B00C7B2NV4"]Amazon.com: Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large Phone/Phablet Holder with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Car Electronics[/ame]

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
There were some I saw that were like a fabric clam shell with clear front that looked neat and secure. Ill try to do a little digging on amazon if my internet at home starts working again.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Ram Mount X Grip too, been using it everyday for about 2 years. Everytime I get on my bike, that's where I put my phone. One of the rubbery knobs sliced open, I need to get it replaced, I'm assuming you can buy those separately. I guess I can try melting it back to seal it.

Anyways, I think it's the best mount out there.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's okay till it rains, what then?

Givi have a few options, here's one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/S954-Givi-GPS-Smartphone-Holder/dp/B00B4S41CU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433621147&sr=8-2&keywords=givi+phone+holder"]S954 - Givi GPS and Smartphone Holder 5": Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

jeadra

Reaction score
Visit site
My husband and I just got back from a wet, muddy dualsport trip through the Black Hills in South Dakota. I can't quite afford or justify a Nuvi, so I planned on using my phone as a GPS. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I picked up one of these from RevZilla.
Phoneshield Samsung Galaxy S3 Mount Kit - RevZilla

I hooked up a handlebar RAM mount to my XT250, with the arm attachment, and a diamond mount for the case itself (Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM-B-238 RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball: Car Electronics), since it comes with a smaller, cheap plastic ball mount setup. You don't *have* to use a RAM mount, but I'd recommend it for security, since the mount it comes with seems like it'll break with just the right amount of torque.

It comes with the ability to charge through the case, using a micro USB cable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling, cursing, physical motivation to get it to work... But the setup is waterproof and shockproof. It stood up quite well to the almost incessant rain on our trip, and didn't damage my phone one bit on the muddy and rocky ATV trails. Even after several drops on a particularly muddy section that required trailside removal of my front fender to get my bike unstuck.

I liked it enough that I bought a handlebar clamp RAM mount for my FZ6. Amazon.com: Ram Mount Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws: Automotive
However, another downside I found with this setup, is that the audio port doesn't really work well. I tried using it when my Ipod died, and couldn't get any sound through the earbuds. I might need a longer 3.5mm adapter to make it work, but I haven't tracked down the one I already have to test it out.
Also, unless you shade the screen with your hand on a sunny day, the glare makes it tough to make out the maps. But it will work with most thinner or smartphone-friendly gloves.