Penalty fine for no baffles/DB killers in Switzerland.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from a trip around Europe and one of the group got fined 490 Euros for no baffles, he even had them on him to put in but still got fined.

I was doing a different route with a mate on a Blade and got stopped for a papers check. Luckily we were stuck behind a few cars and a guy with a side car warned us to slow down.
Papers all checked and ok but they were shining a torch up both exhausts. My Fazer has the standard exhaust so no probs but the Blade got a Yoshi slipon and no baffle.
The Blade owner said it came like that and was legal in the UK.
Was told it isn't here and if we was in a city he would of got a 600CHF fine!!!

First time we'd heard of it and had done the trip last year on the same bikes with no problems.
So if you're going through Switzerland put them baffles in, doesn't matter if the bike is still loud. They just need to be in.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from a trip around Europe and one of the group got fined 490 Euros for no baffles, he even had them on him to put in but still got fined.

Fine is for running the bike without them, they don't care if you actually own the part. They want you to use them too.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I was doing a different route with a mate on a Blade and got stopped for a papers check. Luckily we were stuck behind a few cars and a guy with a side car warned us to slow down.
Papers all checked and ok but they were shining a torch up both exhausts. My Fazer has the standard exhaust so no probs but the Blade got a Yoshi slipon and no baffle.
The Blade owner said it came like that and was legal in the UK.
Was told it isn't here and if we was in a city he would of got a 600CHF fine!!!

First time we'd heard of it and had done the trip last year on the same bikes with no problems.
So if you're going through Switzerland put them baffles in, doesn't matter if the bike is still loud. They just need to be in.
How is that fine enforced? Do you have to present to the Police station there and then?

Nelly

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
How is that fine enforced? Do you have to present to the Police station there and then?

Nelly

You can either pay at the roadside in cash or give them credit card details - apparently the offence gets taken to the local magistrate who then decides if the fine should be more or less than what the police gave you.... So might be worth paying the cash to and hoping they don't bother chasing the rest of it or just avoid Switzerland! :Flip:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can either pay at the roadside in cash or give them credit card details - apparently the offence gets taken to the local magistrate who then decides if the fine should be more or less than what the police gave you.... So might be worth paying the cash to and hoping they don't bother chasing the rest of it or just avoid Switzerland! :Flip:
It's a bit bloody steep though isn't it, Cloggy (aka Martin) recently posted about new noise regulations in Germany with many towns now having a curfew for motorcycle access or even a ban on motorcycle use.
I guess the moral of the story is to try and familiarise yourself with local laws prior to travelling. I am gutted for your mate though thats a set of tyres or a decent lid.

Neil