Pegs and Legs

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
I have sort of short legs and if I'm walking my motorcycle around (obviously usually backing it up a little) my calves tend to run into the pegs at some point. I put my feet down in front of the pegs and push from there to move the bike.

Do most people just put their feet far enough away from the bike so as not to come in contact with the pegs or do they rub their calves against the pegs at some point? They obviously fold up so it's not a huge issue, I was just wondering if there was a better way to handle this. My legs aren't long enough to reach farther away from the bike.

I can maneuver around alright this way, it's just a little less steady and a little nerve wracking. Am I doing anything wrong or is there a better way to do this?

Z

Zealadin

I normally stand a little further away, and just slightly (very slightly) lean the bikes tank into my hip, you won't be hitting the pegs and you should have more control of the bike.

Otherwise sitting on the bike is good if you can.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I should have said that I meant this happened while sitting on the bike. Zealadin, your strategy for walking around while off the bike sounds spot on, though.

Z

Zealadin

Ohh, I have to admit when I sit on the bike for moving I tend to move back a little in the seat, and put my feet forward and dig my toes into the ground so I have some leverage/power and then walk it back with tiny footsteps (with my legs out in front of the pegs), but thats generally when i'm on really tough ground and the bike doesn't want to move. (probably makes me look like a noob though :p)
This way your kind of levering the bike backwards with your legs. The small footsteps also stop me from hitting the pegs.
Its generally good because your holding the front brake, and have both feet pretty planted so you have plenty of control

I also don't weigh much so its hard to put alot of weight behind the bike, so this method relies mainly on leg strength which most people have.

Also if your walking it without sitting on the seat your bikes suspension doesn't depress making the bike a bit higher

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the exact same problem on the bike! It's taken some getting used to but my confidence level has increased with more practice. I have to keep my legs as close to the bike as possible in order to get decent leverage with my feet. I end up moving the bike little bits at a time on order to not hit my calves on the pegs. I know I may look strange to others (and like a wobbly noob) when doing this in public. But, I've decided it's less embarrassing then having to ask the hubby to move it for me before I get on! I'm also very interested to see if any other shorties have found a better way to move the bike.

Z

Zealadin

Its less embarrasing than picking the bike back up thats for sure :D
Do you find with your bikes that sometimes they roll REALLY well, and sometimes they just don't want to move at all?
I was backing it out of a parking spot today and noticed it basically floated out of the spot, but when I was trying to turn it around in my garage it felt like trying to roll through mud.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Its less embarrasing than picking the bike back up thats for sure :D
Do you find with your bikes that sometimes they roll REALLY well, and sometimes they just don't want to move at all?
I was backing it out of a parking spot today and noticed it basically floated out of the spot, but when I was trying to turn it around in my garage it felt like trying to roll through mud.

I always figure it's worth it to look a little funny with the bike upright so you don't look funny with it on its side.

I have to back my bike out of a shed, down a short, steep ramp, then roll it through some sandy dirt. Then comes the gravel. On pavement it's not so hard to move it around. In dirt it's damn near impossible.

If there's any type of bump next to the tire or any sort of incline, the difficulty moving it around seems to increase exponentially. Sometimes I think I need a bike with reverse.

Z

Zealadin

I used to need to reverse mine over some gravel, down a path, through a garage and then down the driveway onto the street, but it was just too difficult, now I take the time when parking to turn the bike around so I can ride it straight out, I can turn it if I'm really careful in the parking spot and it saves alot of grief.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for walking the bike while not sitting on it. I am 5'8" and have the same problem with walking the bike while sitting on it.. Lately I've just stayed off the bike until I had it where I wanted it, then hop on and ride off. When coming home, I can just ride into my spot and park it without any issue.