Passenger Handle Protection

TCormier

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I know I haven't posted here a lot, but I have a question. I did use search, but couldn't find what I was looking for, but I'm admittedly terrible at using search on forums.

I let a friend borrow my FZ6 after his GSXR750 was stolen (his only mode of transportation), and he decided to use bunjees to strap things down to the rear. It scuffed up the paint on the handles a good bit, but I don't really want to confront him about it because I figure it won't cost me too much to fix.

But, after I fix it, I want to protect them from getting scuffed up again. Anyone have anything you can put on or cover them with to help?

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
don't feel bad about searching, this forum's search function is horrible:BLAA:

i strap things to the tail of my bike all the time and know what you are talking about, i have been thinking about seeing if i could take that piece off and take it to a place that did spray in bedliner to cover it with that so it would match the black on the bike but be tough enough to withstand anything you could throw at (or on) it

TCormier

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, well I normally put a t shirt over it whenever strapping something down and haven't had any problems, but like I said a friend was borrowing it. I just dropped the $25 for the OEM paint from Colorrite, and don't want to have to again.

TCormier

Reaction score
Visit site

i strap things to the tail of my bike all the time and know what you are talking about, i have been thinking about seeing if i could take that piece off and take it to a place that did spray in bedliner to cover it with that so it would match the black on the bike but be tough enough to withstand anything you could throw at (or on) it

That would actually be pretty awesome, I have blue though haha

TCormier

Reaction score
Visit site
you could wrap it with clear contact paper or screen protector plastic

That would work. Although, I've been thinking about maybe getting some leather and fabricating a leather wrap to go around it. Thoughts?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree with this, however the Google search is brilliant and also available on the forum search tab.

Nelly

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I took all of the hooks off of my bungee net and attach it using strips of double sided velcro. I don't use bungee cords in favor of rope and adjustable straps.

You may wish to do this in addition to protecting the surface.

Honestly, it's a bit of a bummer that your friend didn't respect your property more. I borrowed a friend's stove for a backpacking trip once and ended up eating cold food and/or cooking over a fire exclusively because the fuel control knob took so much force to budge I felt like I'd brake it if I turned it any harder. I learned later that it was supposed to be that way. After my friend finished laughing at me he thanked me for showing such care for his equipment.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Oz, there is a 3M product called Ricochet and it is a clear protective film that is put over painted surfaces (think contact for books, only stronger)

Have a look, as it may well be available where you live, even if under a different name.

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've been thinking about trying to wrap bicycle handle bar tape or tennis racquet handle leatherette tape. Withe bike tape, the color range is broad and it's cheap enough to replace if damaged the only hassle is getting between the handle and the body of the tail section and keeping it all nice n taut
My two bobs worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sory bout the spillong, fat fingers!

mayassa

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has them too but I never really look at them.. Now Ill have to do something cool to them.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've thought many times about getting some ATV grab handles that will velcro or strap over the bikes grab handles to protect the paint, give passangers something better to hold onto & make it easier to attach bungees. I've seen ones like these in places like Tractor Supply Company.