Pass switch behaviour

pshore

Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to trace an short circuit ...

What is the normal behaviour of the pass switch when the motor is NOT running?

If I turn my ignition 'on' (leaving the motor off), neither main headlights are lit. If I press the pass button, the right headlamp comes on. Is that bad or normal ?

This is on a 2004 FZ6 Fazer and it appears to be unmodified.

My actual problem is that my headlamp fuse is blowing if I activate the hi-beam via either the dimmer switch or pass switch. To try and track the short circuit, I have disconnected +ve battery terminal, the headlamp fuse and dimmer relay. I am getting continuity between the -ve battery terminal and red/yellow wires on the relay connector when I press the pass button, with the ignition set to off. The circuit diagram suggests the red/yellow wires only go between the headlight fuse (46) and dimmer relay (60) and so shouldn't connect to ground.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup: I am going nuts after spending too much time with a multimeter in the garage. It was failing every time, but after completely disconnecting everything at the front end and putting it back together its all working. I want to trace the problem so it doesn't happen on a dark country lane again!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If its a 04 fz6 it shouldn't have a pass switch on it I don't think :don'tknow: mine don't and I haven't scene one with it so someone might have put the wrong controls on it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chevy is correct. We don't get the pass switch on the US FZ6. I have it on my Suzuki.

It sounds like you may have an intermittent short and whatever you played with may have moved the wires that were touching. The other possibility is the lamp itself may have popped the filament and then it reattached and spot welded itself as a higher current filament. I've seen this happen and usually the lamp glows very bright but won't last to long. Or even the part of the filament that blew off is dangling in the lamp envelope and short the circuit is blowing the fuse. Not common but this does happen. If you still want to track this I would start by examining the lamp itself. If it looked normal I would go to where the harness gets the most workout between the handlebar and down through the frame. That would be all the places it bends and would get a worry stress and break. You will have to slice through the outer sleeve to inspect these areas. Make sure your replacement fuse is of the same amperage. (headlamp 20 amp) :D

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^ I always wondered if a two filament bulb might sometimes lead to a high-draw scenario when it blows. Thanks!

And FYI: My '06, which I believe is electrically and mechanically identical to an '04, has no passing switch.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If someone had rigged up a boot leg dual headlight mod could the pass switch be poppin the fuse overampin the circuit?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If someone had rigged up a boot leg dual headlight mod could the pass switch be poppin the fuse overampin the circuit?

Could happen. :D The circuit should be fine for momentary high beam and remember if he's in the UK and flashes the Hi Beam it will be in the opposite side as ours. His Hi Beam should be the left side.

Edit: I forgot to add that his headlamps behave normally by remaining off until the engine has started.
I've always liked that about the FZ6 and I will do a circuit like that for my SV1000s.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Could happen. :D The circuit should be fine for momentary high beam and remember if he's in the UK and flashes the Hi Beam it will be in the opposite side as ours. His Hi Beam should be the left side.

On the uk version do both lights come on with the pass switch? I ask because he mentioned his r/s light coming on when he hits the switch, maybe the bike has been Frankenstein'd with a us style front end? Wrecked maybe? (see no evil speak no evil) not wishing anything bad just thinking out loud

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the uk version do both lights come on with the pass switch? I ask because he mentioned his r/s light coming on when he hits the switch, maybe the bike has been Frankenstein'd with a us style front end? Wrecked maybe? (see no evil speak no evil) not wishing anything bad just thinking out loud

I'm thinking he might be calling out the left or right side of the bike while he's facing it an not sitting on it. Never the less you are correct in questioning that in that it could be a modified bike. :thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
the switch comes factory on euro bikes, there s nothing abnormal. when the pass switch is used the rhs light comes on (high beam). i have to check tonight if the pass switch should come on or not with the engine off. ( i have an 06 which is identical to the 04)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the switch comes factory on euro bikes, there s nothing abnormal. when the pass switch is used the rhs light comes on (high beam). i have to check tonight if the pass switch should come on or not with the engine off. ( i have an 06 which is identical to the 04)

I have a question because I thought the bikes in the UK had the headlights set up differently on the fairing version of the bike because they drive on the left. This would make the reflectors and lamps opposite of set-ups for bikes that ride on the right side of the road. :confused:

Can anyone in the UK confirm this?

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the switch comes factory on euro bikes, there s nothing abnormal.

Ahh, yes. International forum. I probably should have guessed that from the spelling in the title. :p

So it sounds like you're trying to trace a short circuit. Have you checked for corrosion on the wiring harnesses or pinched bundles of wire in loom that might be damaged?

pshore

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers for the responses ! :thumbup:

I was waiting for a notification email like on other forums and it never came. lol.

Yes, its a UK bike, with the half fairing. The wiring appears to be standard colours and is factory neat. The left headlamp is on all the time when the motor is running, including when you press the pass switch. I am pretty sure it is on with the hi/lo dimmer too but my memory fails me and now the bike is in pieces.

The first thing I did was replace the high beam bulb just in case so that is discounted, and I later discovered I could replicate the problem with the bulbs disconnected.

I can't find any shorts with various parts of the wiring harness disconnected. But then I reconnected it all and it works grr, and no amount of wiggling of wires can affect it ... so far.

The outer plastic sheath on the bundle of wires next to the steerer tube is cracking so I suspect the problem is in there. I am just going to have to bite the bullet but it would be nice to confirm the switch behaviour in case I can home in on the problem.

One reason I suspect it, is because the wiring diagram only mentions a dimmer switch, but my pass button has different behaviour (not connected to the relay?), so either the wiring diagram is not the right one for my bike, or the short is allowing the pass to work with the motor off somehow.

It's also had a long-standing problem with the battery draining too quick when left standing, like struggling to start after a coldish nights (4C/39F). I've been lazy though and bought an Optimate rather than fix the problem.

Sorry for the English spelling. The Queen told me that was the right was to spell ;)

Re the setup for riding on the left/right. The beam height is equal on both sides (UK 2004 FZ6), unlike my car.

Phil.

Last edited:

pshore

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick update. I know, this is such a cliff hanger :D

I found someone with an 06 FZ6 and the pass switch does activate the main beam with the ignition on and motor off.

I found the wiring diagrams for the 07 models have the pass switch on them which has helped me home in on the problem.

The wires that go into the ignition block seem to be the issue. I've cut into the offending bundles of wires and they look fine.

I think a cable tie was holding the ignition wires at a strange angle or perhaps there is a bad connection inside the ignition block. It sounds like a PITA to get in there for an inspection so I'll just tape it all back up a bit more loosely than before.