Parking the bike in the wind

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today here in Vegas, we are experiencing 50-60 mph gusts. Since my bike is my only ride, I had to go out in this windy condition. As I was parking my bike, I got to thinking which way would be the best way to park with 50 mph gusts. The obvious came to mind, parking and using the sidestand, so that the wind would blow against the sidestand, so that my bike couldn't tip over. However, the wind at times was swirling and would come from other directions. Not sure how much of a gust it would take to knock over my bike, I thought about using the centerstand. But I ended up just using the sidestand, parking and sheltering it next to a big pick-up truck. Wouldn't you know it, when I got back out, the truck was gone replaced by a small car. But my bike was still standing. Just thought I would share my afternoon parking crisis with y'all.

H

HavBlue

Today here in Vegas, we are experiencing 50-60 mph gusts. Since my bike is my only ride, I had to go out in this windy condition. As I was parking my bike, I got to thinking which way would be the best way to park with 50 mph gusts. The obvious came to mind, parking and using the sidestand, so that the wind would blow against the sidestand, so that my bike couldn't tip over. However, the wind at times was swirling and would come from other directions. Not sure how much of a gust it would take to knock over my bike, I thought about using the centerstand. But I ended up just using the sidestand, parking and sheltering it next to a big pick-up truck. Wouldn't you know it, when I got back out, the truck was gone replaced by a small car. But my bike was still standing. Just thought I would share my afternoon parking crisis with y'all.

Face the turned fork into the wind captain she'll cut through it much easier.

H

HavBlue

FWIW, the highest measured winds at McCarren International Airport today have been gusts of 33mph.

J

jsteinb95

Not too long ago we headed up to Palomar mtn. and there was 100mph gusts of wind. That was scary. I don't use my center stand.

Last edited by a moderator:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, the highest measured winds at McCarren International Airport today have been gusts of 33mph.

I live near the foothills, and the local news weather station reported 60mph in my area. The airport is located in the center of the valley.

H

HavBlue

Not too long ago we headed up to Palomar mtn. and there was 100mph gusts of wind. That was scary. I don't use my center stand.

When you went up to the summit you were either on S6 or S7 depending on which way you went. Just outside the Cal Tech compound is a Forest Service station where I used to work for about 2 years. The winds coming up from the valley floor can at times get pretty high but 100mph is a reach. I will however say they can hit 60mph and that is a big problem when you are in fire season.

J

jsteinb95

When you went up to the summit you were either on S6 or S7 depending on which way you went. Just outside the Cal Tech compound is a Forest Service station where I used to work for about 2 years. The winds coming up from the valley floor can at times get pretty high but 100mph is a reach. I will however say they can hit 60mph and that is a big problem when you are in fire season.

It WAS fire season....we went up there the day before the fire hit palomar....we didn't actually make it there, it was way too windy and my little ninja was being tossed around, we were about 5 miles away from palomar on the 76.

H

HavBlue

It WAS fire season....we went up there the day before the fire hit palomar....we didn't actually make it there, it was way too windy and my little ninja was being tossed around, we were about 5 miles away from palomar on the 76.

So you guys didn't even get up the mountain? The winds on 76 can be brutal and especially in the Lake Henshaw area. It's a sweet ride though. You folks ever get up to Julian?

J

jsteinb95

So you guys didn't even get up the mountain? The winds on 76 can be brutal and especially in the Lake Henshaw area. It's a sweet ride though. You folks ever get up to Julian?

nope.....didn't get there. I have not been through Julian, sportrider has though.

H

HavBlue

nope.....didn't get there. I have not been through Julian, sportrider has though.

Go up to Julian, take a right and go through town (get goodies first). A few miles south of town is the turnoff for Borrego Springs, turn left. Go through Borrego Springs and pick up S22. This will take you up one sweet twisty (tight too) road back up to S2 where you can turn right and get back on 79 either north or south. North to Temecula or south back to 76 at Lake Henshaw.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Never been to Polomar but...

I agree, on the sidestand with the bike in gear is the way to go; however, your bike may still get blown over.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Never been to Palomar but...

I agree, on the sidestand with the bike in gear is the way to go; however, your bike may still get blown over.

In gear? Yup but to blow that bike over would require some serious wind speed.

H

HavBlue

In gear, yes. 1st gear, a.k.a. the parking brake.

I wouldn't believe it could happen if not for all the stories I've heard. I bet a full tank of gas would make this less likely.

The gas adds roughly 33 pounds to the weight but it also adds it to the upper end which could create a mechanical advantage in terms of leverage on the side stand. You may be right.

S

sportrider

when I was still running the batchplant, there was days that were so windy it used to blow the sand stacker against the stops so hard it actually bent the metal frame. it blew the porta potty over and the fz6 looked like it was going to follow so I would bring it inside the office. and those winds were nothing like that day heading up to polly!!! the weather reports said the wind was blowing at 70MPH with gusts exeeding 100MPH. I was getting pushed around and the lil Ninja was getting thrashed!!! we stopped for a minute at the S-2 & 79 junction and literally with in seconds the entire dash and front of the seat between me and the fuel tank was full of sand. after we got home I had to remove the windsheild on the FZ6 to get all the sand out,you couldn't even see the dash there was SOOO much sand in there!!!

H

HavBlue

That shoot on the east side of the Palomar ridge can get nasty no doubt. It's also the reason we cut that fire line just above Garner Valley.

S

sportrider

the wind up there has to be about the worst I've ridden in.

Back on topic: when we stopped at the Hideout, both bikes were on the sidestand facing the wind. my logic is the fairing is designed to control the airflow over the bike so turning the bike into the wind reduces the frontal surface area and gives the wind less to push on.