Parking Lot Tipover and Insurance

D

Dave.TX

I know I'm not on here much anymore but thought I'd share an experience I had a few months ago.

My (now) wife Melody and I ride down to Bastrop, TX, to first eat lunch and then get our marriage license. This was on June 10th. We park the bike, take off our gear and begin to walk in. We pass a couple that are walking out, I said hello. We sit in the restaurant and a few minutes later the same woman we passed earlier comes in and asks if we ride a motorcycle. My heart sinks.

Long story short her husband backed into it knocking it over. The lot is decomposed granite. The entire left side is cosmetically damaged from the mirror, bar end, side fairing, even back to the swingarm. They were kind enough to find us and give us their insurance info.

I call my insurance to get the ball rolling. A couple of days later my adjuster comes out to do an initial estimate. A few days later I drop the bike off at the shop so they can do their estimate. Couple of weeks go by and nothing.

It takes about 5 weeks for the shops estimate to get approved and they can now order parts and start getting it back on the road. Since only the side fairing (I ride a BMW) is going to be replaced not much to do, right? Order the parts from Germany. Wait two weeks for those to come in. Parts go to the painter. He says 2 days. Two weeks later he finishes painting. Parts are dropped off at the dealership.

Now I was told several times by the guy in charge of service that as soon as they get the parts they'll put it back together and get me on the road the same day. Three more days go by and the bike is finally ready for pickup. In all it took TEN weeks from the time the shop got my bike to the time I got it back.

Granted mine is a German bike, not Japanese. No one else makes parts for them but BMW. Only one dealership in town.

As it turned out I didn't spend a dime to get it repaired. The first week I had it back I put on about 800 miles. I had a lot of catching up to do! It also got repainted a color I liked. Didn't like the original color of what I came to describe as Leisure Suit Blue.

My insurance had to be prodded several times. Their insurance didn't want anything to do with me after I called about the initial claim. Either way it got fixed and is better than ever (very happy with the color). I was also able to score a slightly used carbon fiber Akropovic slip on for $300. I guess good things come to those who wait.

The bike as I bought it in April of 2012:

2012-04-15_12-38-31_43.jpg

The bike as it looks today:

DSC00026_zpscfab04a3.jpg

I have Dairyland/Sentry insurance. The other folks had Farmer's. I had heard horror stories about Farmer's. If I were to deal with them on my own who knows how long it would have taken. Dairyland accepted the $6800 estimate from the shop, they did not total it like I feared may happen. It's not an experience I want to go through again though. Even Melody said I needed to ride. She told me when the bike comes back leave and go wherever you want, just be home for dinner. I love my wife. :hug:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Looks like a substantial makeover. Curious---was bike knocked over and run over? If only knocked over, that's staggering the amount of damage! I take it even the fuel tank was damaged? Nice looking scheme now. I sometimes worry about my parking lot space choice.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos to that Texas couple for doing the right thing! :thumbup:

And Welcome to the Beemer club, Dave; I got a used R1200 GS this past spring (still have the Fizzer). Mine has a lot less pretty plastic to damage, sorry you had to go through so much to get her finished up (ten weeks!!! :eek:)

(EDIT: I love that wine color!)

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Looks like a substantial makeover. Curious---was bike knocked over and run over? If only knocked over, that's staggering the amount of damage! I take it even the fuel tank was damaged? Nice looking scheme now. I sometimes worry about my parking lot space choice.

Fairings aren't cheap. More importantly the body shop has two different labour rates per hour for insurance estimates and individual private jobs.

I ride Kawi Councours 14(amongst my other bikes) and it's freaking draped in plastics. I loathe the moment I will have to replace any of them.

On a sidenote that original colour was just dreadful. Yuck!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Only you can say if the wait was worth it, but your "after" picture looks WAY better than your "before". Just sayin'...... :rockon:

D

Dave.TX

Thanks, y'all. The original color was called crystal gray metallic and the new color is vermillion red metallic (also a BMW color). I asked the painter to put the two stripes down low to add a little sportiness, think they came out well. Also upgraded the side panels to a K13GT look (mine is a K12GT) which they made from 2009-10 only. The color is the 2010 option.

I was able to say no to a lot of pieces that were damaged and going to be replaced which paid for the paint job. Most of it was cosmetic and not very noticeable. The side plastic was damaged though. All in all, seeing it completed at the shop, it was worth the wait. Even in 100+ degree of Texas heat I'm still riding. Riding is therapy. After almost 3 months of not riding I need a lot of therapy.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Blimey I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to get the colour change I'm the UK via a insurance claim not unless you knew the repair shop it went to, even then you'll have to get the logged book changed and inform the insurance company of the colour swap. Which in the UK would be classed as a mod and they'll bump your insurance premiums!!

Anyhow, glad you got it sorted and its defo an improvement!