paint job idea?

benny66

Reaction score
Visit site
im considering getting these flames (not the whole bike but in such a way that it looks like its coming off the front tire) on a black FZ6 that im hoping to get at the end of the winter. ive just been kicking it around wondering what other peoples opinions were. thanks for any thoughts,

o by the way the car is a Chevelle that ive worked on for the past year with my girlfriends father. the helmate his my motocross helmate that he painted for me. if i get it painted it wont be very hard i can do all the sanding and clean up work and have him paint it.

o p.s he repainted the chevelle and now the flames come off the wheel well instead of over the whole fender. thought those paint headds out there might find that interesting.

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would! The flames are always a great touch in my book, just as long as it is done right. I think i would use your helmet as a guide.

:thumbup::thumbup:

J

jsteinb95

Not sure how I missed this thread, but IMHO I think flames are played out. BUT.....it's your bike!!!! Do what you wish. :thumbup:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a quick google to see what other people with this idea have done...

custompaint1.jpg

And I found this an FZ6, not flames but...

alien1.jpg

alien2.jpg

J

jsteinb95

I had a quick google to see what other people with this idea have done...

custompaint1.jpg

The flames, on the bike in the right, are boring

If you do decide to do the flame job, the flames on the left are the way to go (more realistic).

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Flames are overdone. How about making it look like it actually caught fire? Good paint in the back, then black sooty paint, then scorchmarks around the engine. I've wanted to do that for a while, but can't justify the cost of that sort of paintjob. So you can have my idea for free.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a guy on LS1 tech that does that true flame stuff to valve covers, fuel rail covers and what ever else you like. It looks good but just not my taste. I prefer the KISS method myself. But afterall its your bike. Make it your own!

Oh and that fairing on the FZ doesnt look half bad. Looks like they made something out of the R6 fairing? Looks much better than the one that is offered for our bikes now.

-bryan

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Flames are overdone. How about making it look like it actually caught fire? Good paint in the back, then black sooty paint, then scorchmarks around the engine. I've wanted to do that for a while, but can't justify the cost of that sort of paintjob. So you can have my idea for free.

OK, let me back up, i think flames are cool, as long as they are done one of a kind. I love the idea of making it look like it caught fire. :rockon:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How about making it look like it actually caught fire? Good paint in the back, then black sooty paint, then scorchmarks around the engine.

And bullet holes! Not those cheesy stickers the kids put on dad's SUV but a real hole like a 50 cal projectile zipped through, with oil streaks coming out.

Ok, maybe getting a little carried away, heh

Nice paint on the Chevelle and helmet.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im considering getting these flames (not the whole bike but in such a way that it looks like its coming off the front tire) on a black FZ6 that im hoping to get at the end of the winter. ive just been kicking it around wondering what other peoples opinions were. thanks for any thoughts,

o by the way the car is a Chevelle that ive worked on for the past year with my girlfriends father. the helmate his my motocross helmate that he painted for me. if i get it painted it wont be very hard i can do all the sanding and clean up work and have him paint it.

o p.s he repainted the chevelle and now the flames come off the wheel well instead of over the whole fender. thought those paint headds out there might find that interesting.
That is excellent work, its mot my cup of tea however, I can appreciate the craftsmanship that is required to pull it of with out looking crap.

Nelly

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
If you like flames, then go with a Mike Lavalle 'True Fire' flame job. The originator of the true fire look!

:::KILLER PAINT:::

BIKES__133_.jpg

BIKES__5_.jpg

I have his 'How To' DVD and bought all the special paints to paint true fire. I did a lot of practicing with my airbrush, but still have a long , long way to go to get even close to his work! This is as far as I got when I painted my goalie mask last summer.

DSCF3080.jpg

DSCF3281.jpg

Been tempted to do some on my front fender and blend it back along the edges of the front fairing.

Last edited: