Oxford Heated Grip / Hot Grip

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all...

I have decided I need some heated grips and after a lot of research it seems that the Oxford Hot Grips are the go.

however there seems to be a few versions.

Oxford Hot Grips 'Sport'
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Motorcycle-Sportsbike-Sports-HotGrips/dp/B0045NH23G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1291039829&sr=1-4]Oxford Motorcycle Motor Bike Sportsbike Sports Heated HotGrips Hot Grips: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

Oxford Hot Grips 'Original'
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Motorcycle-Original-Heated-HotGrips/dp/B0045NK2K6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291039829&sr=1-3]Oxford Motorcycle Motor Bike Original Heated HotGrips Hot Grips: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

Oxford Hot Grips
(Claimed new for 2011)
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/OXFORD-HEATED-GRIPS-NEW-2011/dp/B004AL6UZO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1290945587&sr=1-7]OXFORD HEATED GRIPS, NEW FOR 2011!: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

I think the only difference is in look of them?

All I could find is this
"Only difference between models is surface of grip, Sports has a diamond pattern for better grip"

Any ideas...

and then my next question....

Anyone installed them on an FZ6N and wired them into that lights so you don't drain the battery?

Many thanks all

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got some Daytona hot grips on my Fazer. They were already put on by the previous owner but he had wired them into the lights or ignition. This is invaluable if you are forgetful like me! I've read many a story on here from people leaving them on and finding a flat battery next time they go to use the bike! Definitely do this!

Whilst they are good, you still need some good gloves to keep the outsides of your fingers toasty (especially in this weather!). The wind chill factor is a killer! I'm sticking my handlebar muffs on tomorrow (it'll be -5C in the morning!).

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/OXFORD-HEATED-GRIPS-NEW-2011/dp/B004AL6UZO/]OXFORD HEATED GRIPS, NEW FOR 2011!: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]
They are a god send on cold days connect straight to they battery they have a cut-out so if you leave them on you wont drain the battery. Check ebay I got mine new for £51.00

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I think I am going to go with the Sport as I think they are the most recent... but I don't think it really matters... probably just grip texture.

now I just have to decide if I install them myself or if I get it done professionally.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
......They are a god send on cold days connect straight to they battery they have a cut-out so if you leave them on you wont drain the battery. Check ebay I got mine new for £51.00

I have the original oxford hot grips. dblaze that's what the shop told me but I've had a flat battery twice because of it (the last time there wasn't even enough juice left to light up any of the control panel lights :eek:), the upside of this is that I've learned to bump start the bike on my own :thumbup: if I reinstalled it I would definately fit an extra relay.
I also had my old controller stop working, luckily I got a (newer model) replacement from oxford.

Despite these problems It is great for my (45 mins) commute, I can just turn it on if it's a bit chilly, which also means I can wear my summer gloves much longer :thumbup:

Last edited:

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
The instructions state if the voltage supplied to the unit drops below 11.5 volts the grips are turned off. This means that you do not have to worry about coming back to a flat battery if you forget to turn them off. It also means that you do not have to wire into the electrics, simply connecting to the battery.
I have not left the grips on so can not verify this.

ClarkFZ6

Reaction score
www.sdmf.com
I have left my Oxford Heated Grips on before and no, they did not leave me enough juice to start the bike. I ended up going back into work and Googling how to jump start. Thankfully I got it started and got home. The Oxford failsafe is crap!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine didn't turn off automatically either on my old bike. Went to wire through the lights when I installed some on my FZ6, but did something wrong and blew/melted a bunch of wires so gave up t the time. Just hard wired at the moment.

I emailed Oxford at the time and they replied that the only difference was the style of the grip. Some are 22mm, some are 25mm though.

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks All... as you said Sth Lrd only the pattern is different...

I just got this email back from Oxford

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

The only difference between the original and sports grips is the pattern on the grips there self.

Please see the website for the different styles, Oxford Products

The grips fit,

left-22mml/d x 125mm long
right-25.6mml/d x 125mm long.

Thank you, I hope this helps.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whilst they are good, you still need some good gloves to keep the outsides of your fingers toasty (especially in this weather!). The wind chill factor is a killer! I'm sticking my handlebar muffs on tomorrow (it'll be -5C in the morning!).

Damn it was cold this morning -7C but there was a strong wind and they said it was a wind chill below -15C :eek: I would not have survived my 45 min commute if it wasn't for the heated grips. I'm going to start looking for detatchable muffs for the worse days.

ademoore

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I replaced my '02 Fazer in May with an '08 Fazer (love it, admit I was very influenced by this forum and Sanger particularlyl!) and had some Oxford hot hands installed as I have done with previous bikes and my wife has done with her bikes.

I have been really disappointed with these (I think they are the 2010 model), during the summer, the 'diamond' grip has started to wear off even without having the heat on.

Also the on/off button and +/- to increase or decrease the temperature is easy to use with bare hands, but very difficult to use when wearing winter gloves due to the very small size of the buttons.

The best previous design of power control is the one my wife has on her bike which is a large push button and twist heat control in one, incredibly easy to use with gloves on.

I've been so disappointed with these that I would consider using these Saito grips next time. A pity as I've always been a fan of Oxford products until now.

SAITO Motorcycle Heated Grips Set 2

Hope this is of some use, it would be interesting to hear if it's just me who has had this experience with these.

Ade

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
always going to be personal preference but i find heated grips burn your palms and the backs of your hands still freeze. Purchased these two winters ago would swear by them in keeping your whole hand at a perfect temp. not hot, not cold, just right

StormRider Heated Clothing Products - EXO² Heated Clothing and Heated Motorcycle Clothing UK

Which one do you have Jordan, as there are several gloves on that page, cheers. The heated grips make it just bearable, but only just, I might buy some detatchable muffs for the worse days (it was -7C yesterday morning but with windchill it was below -15C :eek:)

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
StormShield Heated Motorcycle Gloves

Several mates have also purchased and whilst a lot for a pair of gloves they do seem to work. they can get very warm if you are sitting in traffic but on the road the wind chill makes them sort of a "neutral" temperature.

Agree on the detachable muffs as they also help keep hands dry in the rain. If you're an all weather rider (like me) then you can never have enough options to keep hands warm and dry

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I would highly recommend the bikeit heated grips, I had them on my FZ6N and we also have them on our GSR600. Bought them at J&S for less than £30, they are made in the same factory, the main difference is the controller has a rotary dial instead of buttons. I much prefer this to buttons as you turn to setting you want quickly and easily, and it stays at that setting even when bike turned off.

The low voltage switch off feature of the digital ones, I have had a couple of people say that by the time it shuts down automatically the battery is too flat to start the bike.

With the FZ6N the headlight relay has enough capacity to have the heated grips taped into the wiring.

I picked up the feed as it comes out of the relay under left cover (side of seat), did this by carefully stripping the insulation without cutting the copper wires, wrapped the heated grip wire round it and soldered. Self amalamating tape finished the job of nicely.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
StormShield Heated Motorcycle Gloves

Several mates have also purchased and whilst a lot for a pair of gloves they do seem to work. they can get very warm if you are sitting in traffic but on the road the wind chill makes them sort of a "neutral" temperature.

I just noticed that you have the same gloves as SangerA2, he built a controller for them here, you don't have to mount them but you could also put the controller in your pocket :thumbup:

Agree on the detachable muffs as they also help keep hands dry in the rain. If you're an all weather rider (like me) then you can never have enough options to keep hands warm and dry
I'm generally an all weather rider but yesterday I almost dropped my bike getting it out of our (snowy) street (we have a pronounced camber and a couple of speed bumps :eek:). Temperatures not too much of a problem but I decided to take the cage today anyway.

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site
I would highly recommend the bikeit heated grips, I had them on my FZ6N and we also have them on our GSR600. Bought them at J&S for less than £30, they are made in the same factory, the main difference is the controller has a rotary dial instead of buttons. I much prefer this to buttons as you turn to setting you want quickly and easily, and it stays at that setting even when bike turned off.

The low voltage switch off feature of the digital ones, I have had a couple of people say that by the time it shuts down automatically the battery is too flat to start the bike.

With the FZ6N the headlight relay has enough capacity to have the heated grips taped into the wiring.

I picked up the feed as it comes out of the relay under left cover (side of seat), did this by carefully stripping the insulation without cutting the copper wires, wrapped the heated grip wire round it and soldered. Self amalamating tape finished the job of nicely.

Hi Alan,

Have you any pics of this cable connection as i am thinking of getting some grips and wouldn't know where to start.
How do you find out which cable is which?

Also i am trying to work out where i could fit a 12v charger point for a sat nav or phone charger, any ideas please? I'm planning a trip to Le Mans-Moto GP in May so i want my sat nav to work all the way. rather than running flat in 4 hours.

Cheers
Dave

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Dave, this may help to start with http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/32045-oxford-hot-grips-2.html

For the odd occasion I needed power in my tank bag I had the following setup...

First off I had a battery optimiser lead for keeping the battery charged during the winter, the optimate connector came out in the gap between tank and frame (about halfway along tank).

To provide power to my tankbag I made a lead with a cigar lighter socket one end and a male optimate plug the other. I used to tuck the cable under the edge of the tank and route it to the front middle of the tank and up to the tankbag.

It was great as I didn't need it very often and it gave my optimate connector an extra use.

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Dave, this may help to start with http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/32045-oxford-hot-grips-2.html

For the odd occasion I needed power in my tank bag I had the following setup...

First off I had a battery optimiser lead for keeping the battery charged during the winter, the optimate connector came out in the gap between tank and frame (about halfway along tank).

To provide power to my tankbag I made a lead with a cigar lighter socket one end and a male optimate plug the other. I used to tuck the cable under the edge of the tank and route it to the front middle of the tank and up to the tankbag.

It was great as I didn't need it very often and it gave my optimate connector an extra use.

Thanks Alan,

I'll study the posts and hopefully this will help me. I like the position of the heated grips controller because i was worried in case it didn't fit near the mirror brackets.

Cheers
Dave

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I had Hotgrips fitted already when I bought the bike and last week the controller gave up. Went into a Yam dealer in New Malden (W. London) and they showed me both types but for some reason the standard ones were only £45 as opposed to £69 for the sport version. They were both with the revised switch pad plus a separate control box of the same size to hide away.
I paid the 45 and fitted them as to get a 'new' old control pad was going to be 40 quid anyway!
Money well spent says I.