Ordered my Madstad Shield "Drop-In" Kit for 2009 FZ6

D

Dave.TX

Hey Jeff, finances finally are allowing me to purchase the Madstad setup. I'm looking at the taller spyder screen as I'm 6'4". How has yours been working for ya? It was really windy today for the ride I went on. Went with a couple of Harley Ultra Classics, a Honda VTX and a Victory Vision. They all had plenty of wind protection. I didn't and it was rough. Let me (us) know how your system is working out.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Jeff, finances finally are allowing me to purchase the Madstad setup. I'm looking at the taller spyder screen as I'm 6'4". How has yours been working for ya? It was really windy today for the ride I went on. Went with a couple of Harley Ultra Classics, a Honda VTX and a Victory Vision. They all had plenty of wind protection. I didn't and it was rough. Let me (us) know how your system is working out.

Working good Dave. A coworker with an FZ6 who is taller than me--he's 6'1" or so got the 18" spyder and wasn't happy with the height, so he got a 20" (Mark at Madstad is great). But then the 20" needed to go down, but mirror stems in the way, so he will now be getting the CR sport shield, with a different shape. You might want to consider the CR sport shield in a 20"--or at least consult Mark. Otherwise, completely configurable as to height and angle to eliminate any buffeting or rough air.

I will probably change back to Puig racing in the summer, but then I said I'd pull the fairing/shield off my VTX1800F in the summer too and never did.....:cool: Get 'er ordered and on and post pics.

D

Dave.TX

Got the email today that my order is being shipped! I s'pose with the holiday week it'll arrive next week. Got the 20" Sport CR screen as Mark was talking about clearance issues with the other. As windy as it's been the last few weeks it'll be nice to finally have some protection.

D

Dave.TX

Jeff, I believe Waco is about half way. One of these days I'll ride up to my aunt & uncle's place in Grapevine. When I do I'll let you know! Too bad they sold their Honda Shadow a couple of years ago, my uncle and I would've enjoyed riding together.

One step closer to a touring bike! It'll be fun to make the longer trips with wind protection. Sure, it takes away from the sporty look of the bike but if I wanted an R6 or whatever I would've gotten one. I see those guys riding BMW GS's and think that must be nice. If I could afford more than one bike...

Sadly I think once the FZ6 is paid off I'll be selling it and getting a different bike. I'm always one for change. It's a great bike and will keep it for a couple-few more years at best. Triumph Sprint ST/GT or Tiger, BMW F800ST, Yamaha FJR, etc. I don't know, will change my mind several times before then.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave.TX

Just installed mine last night! Haven't ridden with it yet but plan to test it out today and hopefully tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Sport CR shield also in light grey (barely notice the tint).

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Just installed mine last night! Haven't ridden with it yet but plan to test it out today and hopefully tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Sport CR shield also in light grey (barely notice the tint).

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it since we are of similar height.

D

Dave.TX

Went on a local ride (about 45 miles round trip) to get lunch today. Wind is blowing out of the north at around 15mph. The shield is doing pretty good! So much better than stock at blocking wind. I also have less noise in my helmet. Found that even at 100mph (indicated) it does just fine. Also found it's easier to cruise at higher speeds because the wind isn't hitting me in the chest and head. Granted I haven't adjusted the shield to any different angles to see how it reacts but so far, so good. Will get pics up next week on my days off. Have a new helmet coming (hopefully Tuesday) too. Probably raining Monday so no pics until Tuesday.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Went on a local ride (about 45 miles round trip) to get lunch today. Wind is blowing out of the north at around 15mph. The shield is doing pretty good! So much better than stock at blocking wind. I also have less noise in my helmet. Found that even at 100mph (indicated) it does just fine. Also found it's easier to cruise at higher speeds because the wind isn't hitting me in the chest and head. Granted I haven't adjusted the shield to any different angles to see how it reacts but so far, so good. Will get pics up next week on my days off. Have a new helmet coming (hopefully Tuesday) too. Probably raining Monday so no pics until Tuesday.

Look forward to further reports and oh yeah, PICS!!

D

Dave.TX

Decided to start cleaning the garage a bit so rolled out the bike. Last night I put the reflective red stripe tape on the wheels (in the dark), they look OK. I normally don't ride with the Givi's on there, just put 'em on for the "touring" photo's that I posted on another thread here.
2011-12-20_14-47-55_228.jpg
2011-12-20_14-47-26_241.jpg
2011-12-20_14-48-12_653.jpg