Opinions wanted - Chain Rivet

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a new chain and sprockets. The chain came with a rivet link. I bought a chain breaker/rivet tool at harbor freight tools that works well. Unfortunately, I think the rivet link is too tight. I separated the side plate a little farther with a screwdriver and that seemed to free up the link.
I took the bike out for a spin and grabbed some gas. Before I rode back home, I looked at the rivet link and noticed one of the O-rings was hanging off. I was able to pull the broken O-ring right off.
Would you replace the rivet link? If so, can I use any 530 rivet link or does it have to be the same brand as the chain?

Thanks in advance for opinions and suggestions

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
What brand is the chain? DID needs a special (their own) tool or a good copy of it.

But yes, I would replace the rivet link with the same brand as the chain too.

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
The brand is Bikemaster. I thought maybe I could use a generic 530 rivet link or something otherwise I will have to order the link online somewhere. I guess perhaps I should get 2 in case I mess up another one!

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn’t mess around with a master link that’s not properly riveted.
A broken chain can cause more damage than you can imagine.
Take your bike to someone who has the correct tools to do the job.
FZ6-ZN

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
So does anyone know if there is a 'generic' rivet link I can use. It seems that Bikemaster one I need is on backorder until sometime in February.
From what I have heard here, I shouldn't ride it without that missing O-ring.

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I was able to get the rivet link back off and get new O-rings from the links I had cut off since the chain was 120 links. I put the rivet back on using spacers as to not over tighten or crush the O-rings and it came out perfect!!