open exhaust

H

HavBlue

That sounds totally different than the open can with the Y pipe inserted inside it. Is the cat gutted on the bike?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This too is an open exhaust but the OEM can was opened up and a Y pipe was installed to replace the guts. IMHO it sounds much better.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/3934-fz6-open-stock-exhaust.html

Gotta agree. The can "refines" the sound more.

The straight pipe is simply too much noise. I wouldn't want to be in my truck stuck having to drive next to that noise. I think the GMC would have to flick that into the ditch.

The good part is hearing grows back, right????

"I don't care what you play, just play it LOUD!"

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the db killers out of the Akro over lunch, damn that sounds good! I swear I can feel the extra 2.5 hp in the seat of my pants...wait maybe that's the chilli smoothered burrito I had for lunch?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your mod and welcome to the boards bro. I like it and if I didn't live in an anti-bike city I'd do teh same myself. I'm probably going to try gutting the muffler for no other reason but to keep law enforcement away from my bike.

MoeRose

Reaction score
Visit site
My gutted can with a straight pipe baffle for a chopper welded in,is in between the two clips...not as harsh as straight open and not a metallic sound like the gutted pipe in clip 2.Maybe cause I have a Caty eliminator pipe also

H

HavBlue

Gotta agree. The can "refines" the sound more.

The straight pipe is simply too much noise. I wouldn't want to be in my truck stuck having to drive next to that noise. I think the GMC would have to flick that into the ditch.

The good part is hearing grows back, right????

"I don't care what you play, just play it LOUD!"

Hey Pete, we need some roller runs from all this stuff. We're flying blind buddy..

If anybody has the runs please scan them and post them up. We need to see what's going on here. Beyond this, we're talking some good horsepower increases for a buttload less money.

Thanks,
Charlie

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Pete, we need some roller runs from all this stuff. We're flying blind buddy..

If anybody has the runs please scan them and post them up. We need to see what's going on here. Beyond this, we're talking some good horsepower increases for a buttload less money.

Thanks,
Charlie

We do. They only sheet I've seen Charlie is on the Akro web site. They claim 2.5 on the top end with the DB Killer OUT. The mid range is much fatter however. I hate to say it...with the killers out....6000 to 8000 feels FAT! Much more torque.

There is a race shop south of Austin that has a dyno. Maybe towards the end of May I can get down there. They install the PCIII and dyno tune it for you. I think it might be worth the $400.

Last edited:

willoby61726

Reaction score
Visit site
I just took my stock muffler off and cut an access panel to get to the guts of the muffler and then took it down to my local welding shop to have them plasma cut the guts out of it and then weld the plate back on. I know a guy in the office so he only charged me $40!!!!!! for everything which i thought that was a steal. The bike is alot quieter than just straight pipe. is sounds surprisingly good for a $40 mod. Its mellow with just a slight difference over stock at idle, but tends to sound alot like a race bike under torque. I havent heard Scorpions in person but the gutted muffler sounds alot like it from what I have heard on Youtube. All and all I am pleased with this mod. I might still get Scorpions down the road but for now, $40 sounds alot better than $400 plus right now.:rockon::Sport:

MoeRose

Reaction score
Visit site
I just took my stock muffler off and cut an access panel to get to the guts of the muffler and then took it down to my local welding shop to have them plasma cut the guts out of it and then weld the plate back on. I know a guy in the office so he only charged me $40!!!!!! for everything which i thought that was a steal. The bike is alot quieter than just straight pipe. is sounds surprisingly good for a $40 mod. Its mellow with just a slight difference over stock at idle, but tends to sound alot like a race bike under torque. I havent heard Scorpions in person but the gutted muffler sounds alot like it from what I have heard on Youtube. All and all I am pleased with this mod. I might still get Scorpions down the road but for now, $40 sounds alot better than $400 plus right now.:rockon::Sport:

And if you can do it yourself its a free mod that you cannot beat.I like the sound and added perf enhancement.Straight pipe is tooo much noise,this gives it some bass.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And if you can do it yourself its a free mod that you cannot beat.I like the sound and added perf enhancement.Straight pipe is tooo much noise,this gives it some bass.

I agree here. While it would be great to run for track day, I'd get shot in this neck of the woods for doing that. willoby61726, if you get a chance, can you please post a sound clip from your gutted can? We'd appreciate it!

It does sound very mean but it's a bit too much. It wouldn't pass inspection here either. NH is strict about that.

MoeRose

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree here. While it would be great to run for track day, I'd get shot in this neck of the woods for doing that. willoby61726, if you get a chance, can you please post a sound clip from your gutted can? We'd appreciate it!

It does sound very mean but it's a bit too much. It wouldn't pass inspection here either. NH is strict about that.

TX is pretty lax about it...Plus I like the fact that people can hear me around them.Cell phone retards need it.

DHone

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled my muffler off and kinda liked the sound but isn't it illeagle to not have a muffler?? I think I heard that? Not that I care about being legal, I've just had to many tickets over the last month:/

pt1979

Reaction score
Visit site
oh boy, over here in austria, the cops would tear you apart. they're just waiting for someone with such an exhaust, and then f*ck you up.
you can get your authorization taken away and so on, and so on.
DEFINITELY NO FUN. :eek:;)