One handed riding

thomka60

Reaction score
Visit site
So the other day I was riding with a group of Gixxers and R6's. Now, I know the seating position on these particular kind of bikes can get tiresome and painful after a while...but many of these guys were riding with there left hand on their thigh to sit up straight much earlier than it would have taken to get a painful back. Now, I don't know if they do it strictly for comfort or looks but to me its foolish.

If a car were to slam on their brakes or a small critter run out in front of you, how are you going to react in time?

One particular guy of the group really made me laugh though. After turning through an intersection, the guy would automatically put his hand up on his thigh, yet forget to turn his blinker off! He must think hes so cool rolling down the road with his blinker on for a half mile lol.

Whats your take on riding one handed?

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it all the time, and when I do, I strictly use hand signals when it comes to change lanes. When I use my Throttlemeister, it allows me to rest my throttle hand.

However, as you mentioned, you better have the capablity to swerve with one hand if you need to. Just the other day on my way to LA, cruising about 80mph indicated, and riding with one hand, some woman from my right made a bad lane change on me as I was passing her. I swerved to my left keeping a steady throttle, then I put my other hand on the handbars and hit my horn. Once I applied my 130 decibel Stebel, she quickly went back where she belonged. I tried kicking her door at the sametime but I missed, I swerved too hard dang it.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it. Not sure how cool others think I am but my back thinks I'm pretty cool when I do it and it does just feel like a natural position at times. Just like anything... wheelies, one hand or no hands the time and place makes all the difference in the world. I like to pull wheelies from the stop sign from time to time but I only do it on backroads when no vehicles are around because I am doing it for me not anyone else. Not to mention the best way to screw something up is to do it for an audiance. LOL!

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
i think it can be nice to stretch a little bit everyone once in a while, but never through intersections. actually, if the area has enough people around for a person to feel the need to look cool, then there is probably too much going on in that area for me to justify riding with one hand.

so.... i understand doing it somtimes, but the time and place needs to be choses very carefully. the only image that i am concerned about when riding is trying not to look like a squid. I do not care if sombody thinks that i am riding slow or look lame because I am more carefull than some pthers. I want to be associated with sportbike riders, NOT crotch rocket riders. i really hate that term and the reputation that goes along with it.

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride one handed quite often. I am a little more careful to not do it when riding through city streets, but more on open roads and highways. I will be the first to admit that it is not the safest thing to do, but then again, neither is this mode of transportation as a whole. You'll be happy to know that I just got back from riding Deals Gap....I used two hands. Ride safely!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This being my return to bikes I see my hands have some conditioning to go through. At the end of 2 hours ride the other day I found myself cruising in the low risk areas to stretch. Righty had to wait till down-hill sections came into to play though.

As I rule I try to experiment and try everything once; can I brake safely with front brake only, rear brake only, take off and shift w/out using the clutch, etc as you never know when something might fail or you dump it and bust a lever. Where I ride there is no reception and few cars so it could be a long walk. With these experiments it gives me options later in life. . .

As for the topic, I have nothing to prove by being cool. It's mainly to reduce fatigue.

kananaskis

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride one handed often...
And I am guilty of forgetting to turn off the blinker. haha.
I cant count how many times I have had the guys I ride with accelerate up beside me and signal me (opening and closing one hand) that I left my blinker on... haha

1.8tbora

Stealth FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it all the time also, But I live 32 miles from work so relax a little on the long boring ride in:rockon:

jcfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup I do it all the time also. Not like I'm trying to ride at 100mph with one hand but sometimes I just need to relax my hands and stretch out. I think there's a big difference between trying to show off and be "cool" as opposed to relaxing and feeling comfortable.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I often merge on the freeway with one hand as I roll on the throttle, it actually allows me to look over my left shoulder easier so I can zip across into the fast lane. As always, be very careful whenever your head is not facing forward, things up front can change in a hurry so keep that head check to an absolute minimum!

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
I do it only when the traffic is very light and no vehices are near me. Sometimes right hand off to stretch for a sec.

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
I often merge on the freeway with one hand as I roll on the throttle, it actually allows me to look over my left shoulder easier so I can zip across into the fast lane. As always, be very careful whenever your head is not facing forward, things up front can change in a hurry so keep that head check to an absolute minimum!

this is exactly what i do, i always drop my left hand/arm to lower my should so my helmet can turn as far/behind to the left as possible

i dont think there is anything foolish about it... its probably more dangerous to tie your mind up thinkin about it than focusing 100% on your comfort and ride

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I do it when my back gets sore and when the road conditions permit. I will also stand up on the footpegs to stretch a bit, but with both hands on the handlebars.

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride one handed while crusing, but never when I'm passing. It makes me too nervous being next to someone with only one hand on, but to each their own. :)

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you're going to see pretty much all of us doing it. Yes, it's a calculated risk as it does diminish one's ability to control a bike, but in low risk areas for short periods of time it's fine - my hands really start to sting from the constant grip and, "buzz". It's good to move the fingers every now and then. It's no more than drinking a, "soda, pop or coke" (depending upon where you're from) while operating a car.

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I see guys do it all the time at the track!

Course, they also usually go by stubby...

Really, I've noticed that as long as you're loose, it doesn't hurt your ability to steer the bike. Just your ability to clutch and signal or to gas and brake.

Or maybe my bike is cooler and turns in just as quickly, if not more quickly when I'm riding one handed. :D

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I do it anytime I'm on a flat stretch of pavement with no intersections or cars close by. it's nice to stretch the spine a bit. I actually reach back with my left hand sometimes and grab the hand rail to stretch, feels great.