On Cable Lubing...

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
I lubed the clutch cable yesterday, taking it clear off and wishing I had done so PRIOR to filling the tank.

I also wished I noticed the throttle-body boot clamps prior to popping-off the airbox; I'll be sure to loosen and tighten them appropriately NEXT time...

In any case, using a rubber glove with a hole in the finger, putting the cable end through, and sealing it off by tying a knot in the rubber glove around itself, I proceeded to use a can of non-chlorinated brake-clean to flush the housing.

What came out looked like the front sprocket I cleaned today...

And this got me thinking...is a clean and dry cable/housing better than one which has lube which traps dirt and gums-up?

I'm going to do it again as soon as the tank is empty, because the lube I used was was chain lube - listed as "good for steel cables" - but thinking later they meant EXPOSED cables like on a garage door....not encased cables where the "stickiness" of this lube would trap grunge and ultimately be counter-productive. DOH!

But, what do you think?

Would you be comfortable running regularly cleaned, but dry cables?

Just oil...like 3-in-1, or even synthetics?

Dry lube, like graphite?

Most importantly, why?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't leave it dry, moisture will get in there and start rusting besides making the clutch lever harder to pull. Regular maintainance (like your chain) will keep your clutch much easier to use and pull besides last much longer...

IMHO, I prefer the clamp on the top of the cable and MC cable specific lube which forces old lube/crap out. (I use "Cable life" and can definitly feel the difference when cleaned/lubed).

Others here have posted to just run it till it wears out and replace it...