OK forgive me

Spunner

Reaction score
Visit site
Now I just got my bike....88 fz6.....my idle is too low, so I have the original handbook, I look in there for the idle setting. Shows a pic of where it is...I look...it's not there? Is the book the wrong one for the year I have? It's way to low around 750-850, stalls out when I'm stopped.
Here's a pic or two....
If I don't have this screw, how do I set the idle?:confused:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
It looks like the screw should be behind the second carb. In your picture, the lower hose is probably blocking it. When you compare the pic in the manual to your picture, both those hoses appear to be misrouted.

If the screw is truly missing, then you'll need to replace it. The screw holds the throttles slightly open, so if it's gone, you will have a low idle as you describe.

Frederic

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can wiggle your hand in there, there should be a small thumbwheel between the #2 and #3 carbs, around bowl level. You may not be able to get a hand in there, though. I had an XJ700 and could barely reach the screw, my friend has an XJ550, and we had to use a long screwdriver and a small hammer to tap it around. Screwing it "in" raises the idle, out lowers it. It may not be sticking out as far as the book shows.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, it's a $35 part, but it's the same as most XJ/FJ/YX 550/600 models from the early '80s to to about '90. A bike wrecker or fleabay might be a good option, but I'm cheap... I'd hate to spend that much on one screw, even as fancy as it is!

Edit: There's a few XJ650 full carb racks on fleabay for <$20. You'll have to pull the carbs to replace the screw anyway, might be easier to just buy them and know you have the whole assembly.

Last edited:

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
it is a nice looking bike mate know what you mean about the screw $35 is a bit bloody steep. check the wreckers