Oil Filter Stuck - help!!

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I know I am not the first to post here on this subject but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction without resorting to the screwdriver!

I decided to do an oil change on my 2008 fazer FZ6 for the summer. I have owned the bike since new and apart from the 600 mile "service" the bike has had nowt done to it in 3900 miles. I lashed out on a filter wrench and set about changing the oil. All went ok until it came to the oil filter removal part! The filter wrench just spun on the filter!

I tried all my other strap type wrenchs to no avail, so my bike is currently sitting in the garage with no oil in it! Am I p*ssed or what! £8 for the filter wrench! Never had this problem before and dont really want to resort to the screwdriver method or for that matter fill up with fresh oil with dirty oil in the old filter - seems a wast to me!

Can anyone recommend a wrench that will get if off? Shops are shut now in the uk so I am screwed until tomorrow :( I am wondering what the rest of the bike is screwed together like - perhaps I should try the axles - probably solid already!

wtf anyone had to screw the filter on that hard for is lost on me!!

Cheers

Trev

fredraction

Reaction score
Visit site
Never had to do this trick on my FZ6, but I have resorted to driving a screwdriver through the filter case with a hammer and levering the thing off. If you're to the point of spinning a top wrench or crushing the filter case with a strap wrench, this may be your only option. I haven't found a filter I couldn't remove one way or another as long as I didn't care about trashing it.

BTW, on my first oil change I had to use a breaker bar to break mine loose. There must be this one sumo wrestler in training at the factory whose job it is to put these things on.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
a pair of large slipjaw pliers (channel locks) are my first choice after the
filter wrench fails, a screwdriver is my second to last resort and a flat chisel
and hammer on the very base is the last resort

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
there's no trick to getting a stuck filter off. If its stuck, use whatever means necessary and dont worry about being nice. I've used huge channel locks, hammers, screw drivers, or whatever tool would work in the space. Think resourcefully. You'll get it to come off. Just dont scratch your bike, you'll be more po'ed.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Someone here came up with a mod to a standard cap type oil wrench that seems nearly fool proof, and 'clean'. (I've personally had great success with slip jaw pliers, crushing the filter body to get it to move).

Take your 'cap' type filter wrench, and drill a small hole through the edge. Put the wrench on the filter, then run a self tapping sheet metal screw into the filter through the hole. That screw will prevent the filter from slipping.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's the cap type filter wrench just drill a small hole in the cap, then use a self drilling screw and drive it into the filter then, just back it off. Doc

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys! your help is much appreciated! I have calmed down a little bit now! I wonder how the yamaha dealers get on with this sort of thing!!

All the best

Trev

mawebb

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the suggestion of the screw in the plastic cap wrench. I will have to try it next time. I recently changed the oil on my son's bike and the filter was really stuck. My channel lock pliers did not open enough to grip, and my chain wrench would not fit in the space between the filter and the engine, so I used the screwdriver through the filter trick. I used a long flat blade screwdriver and drove it into the side of the filter, about 3/4" from the outside edge at about 7 o'clock and drove it through the cartridge, exiting at about 1 o'clock. Just be careful not to drive it through too far, or you will scratch the engine parts. This will allow about a 1/5th rotation of the filter before you run out of room to move the screwdriver handle. If it's really stuck like mine was, you may have to remove the screwdriver and repeat.

To make sure the new filter does not get stuck, make sure you lube the rubber gasket and threads in the center with fresh oil, using by dipping your index finger into a newly opened bottle of oil. I noted that the genuine Yamaha filters come with a small amount of grease applied to the rubber ring, but I still added fresh oil.

Just keep in mind, that changing the oil on your bike, is far better that lying on cold pavement underneath your car, with no light and no room to move.

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
after you get the old one off, some new filters have a hex appliance on the
end that allows the use of a socket to tighten and remove next time, K&N
is one of these brands and it's also a damn good filter, just did this the other
day and had a bit of grief with the old one, like RJ said, apply enough squeeze
with the pliers to cause two flat spots on the can before twisting, off to the races

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea next time replace it with a filter that has a bolt on the end for easy removal.
It shouldn't be done up so tight, so its not normally an issue :p
The main thing is you need to make sure when your taking it off that you NEVER damage the thread that the oil filter tightens onto, otherwise your going to be really regretting your do it yourself nature :p
As someone else already said make sure you apply oil to the new filter threads upon installation.

I've never used the screwedriver method thankgod so I won't try and offer advice.

firecat

Reaction score
Visit site
This is getting ugly! I was loaned a strap wrench - supposedly does not damage the filter. Guess what, and inspite of my best endeavours, it has! Original wrench does not fit at all now, what a cluster f*ck! It was "only" an oil change for goodness sake! Looks like it is going to be a screw driver after all. I am one unhappy guy!

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing that has worked for me in the past is to wrap the filter wrench in some electrical tape or duct tape in a few spots to get some more grip on the filter. Good luck:thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a rag to thicken the width of the stock filter. The wrench gripped well and off it came. +1 on K&N, every filter should have the nut on the end! Good luck man.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had to do this trick on my FZ6, but I have resorted to driving a screwdriver through the filter case with a hammer and levering the thing off. If you're to the point of spinning a top wrench or crushing the filter case with a strap wrench, this may be your only option. I haven't found a filter I couldn't remove one way or another as long as I didn't care about trashing it.

BTW, on my first oil change I had to use a breaker bar to break mine loose. There must be this one sumo wrestler in training at the factory whose job it is to put these things on.

I am convinced that sumo guy put my bike together. Everything seemed overtightened I had to do the screwdriver trick with the filter and had to get a breaker bar to get the drain plug loose

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
Who cares if the filter is damaged. Youre replacing it. I've never had a problem with a strap wrench. Only issues is on big filters that are like 5" in diameter.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Primacord, Semtex, or C4 all work. Just kidding. Mine was REALLY on there from the factory, (and seems to always tighten up between changes as well).
I bought a strap wrench from AutoZone where you put your half-inch drive ratchet in it and as you turn the wrench the strap tightens until something breaks/loosens. (My factory filter was so tight that the strap wrench even caved it partially in!) Good luck!