Oil Filter Number:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Of those using the Walmart Super Tech oil filters, are you using the ST7317?
I'm still using the Yamaha filters but at $14.00 a pop and from what I've read on-line about the quality of the Super Tech filters at $2.00 I don't see how you can go wrong. JMO

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the supertech filters on my shadow. But you can pick up a pair of PureOne Puralotors from Amazon for @$12 total.. I run them on everything these days. You'd be hard pressed to find a better filter, for $6 or $16. The down side is they are Mustard Yellow in color. Sort of stand out. :)

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Of those using the Walmart Super Tech oil filters, are you using the ST7317?
I'm still using the Yamaha filters but at $14.00 a pop and from what I've read on-line about the quality of the Super Tech filters at $2.00 I don't see how you can go wrong. JMO

I'm using the 7317's and with out an oil analysis to find out for sure, they seem to work just fine. At that price I change them every oil change.

Jerry

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using the 7317's and with out an oil analysis to find out for sure, they seem to work just fine. At that price I change them every oil change.

Jerry

You should change the filter every time regardless of the cost even though the manual says you only have to do it every other time. I use the K&N KN-204 filter at about $12.50 delivered to my front door (Amazon). Good quality and with the 17mm nut attached to the top you never have the worry about a traditional cap wrench slipping and making removal far more difficult (been there too many times). You only need one tool ... a 17mm closed end wrench to do the entire oil change (filter and drain plug are the same size). With the Shell Rotella T-6 full synthetic oil from Walmart, plus the K&N filter, the total cost is less than $30. I'm not going to quibble over a few bucks by using a cheapie filter.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
You should change the filter every time regardless of the cost even though the manual says you only have to do it every other time. I use the K&N KN-204 filter at about $12.50 delivered to my front door (Amazon). Good quality and with the 17mm nut attached to the top you never have the worry about a traditional cap wrench slipping and making removal far more difficult (been there too many times). You only need one tool ... a 17mm closed end wrench to do the entire oil change (filter and drain plug are the same size). With the Shell Rotella T-6 full synthetic oil from Walmart, plus the K&N filter, the total cost is less than $30. I'm not going to quibble over a few bucks by using a cheapie filter.

I actually do change the filter every time regardless of the price and so I should have said "now anyone can afford to change their filter every oil change", and knock on wood, I have never had a stuck filter:D and yes I have changed quite a few since 64;)
Here's a link to a sticky for which oil filters fit and are recommended--
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/204-oil-filters-will-fit.html

Jerry

C

CombatPenguin

Been using the supertech filter for 13k miles now with no problems.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a way to fix the problem with the yellow purolators. :D

watermark.php

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you ALL for your quick replies and feedback. (Dang I love this board!)

I have spent too many hours sitting here reading everything I can find about bike oil filters, (though many automotive filters are also bike filters), and while I never thought I would stray from Yamaha filters I have read nothing but good about the Super Tech filters.
What I personally deduced is that out of everything out there they are like second or third from the top, (and there are trade offs, even with the "better" ones)!
Tons to consider like filtering ability, life, (which since I'm over my first 1000 miles now I will begin changing my oil every 2000 miles, even with synthetic), internal check valves, overpressure valves, end caps, and even thickness of the canister iteself, (since IMO the cannister is taking a pretty good sandblasting from the front wheel most of the time).
After I use my next Yamaha filter and the one Fram I bought, I plan to switch to the Super Tech, (which is slightly longer than the Fram, which is slightly longer than the Yamaha).
Thanks all!

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
(since IMO the cannister is taking a pretty good sandblasting from the front wheel most of the time).

If you're referring to the silver canister mounted on the front of the engine, that is NOT your oil filter. The filter is tucked under the primary sprocket cover on the left side of the bike.

The silver canister on the front of the engine is your oil cooler.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're referring to the silver canister mounted on the front of the engine, that is NOT your oil filter. The filter is tucked under the primary sprocket cover on the left side of the bike.

The silver canister on the front of the engine is your oil cooler.

Not at all, but I've seen where a lot of folks make that mistake.

rickthefix

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using the Purolator PL14610 on my 96 Kawasaki EN500 for years, the 04 ZX6R & most recent aquisition 07 FZ6 last 2 changes. I usually use Bosch filters in my cars, but sometimes use STP, they are good filters too.