Ohlins steering dampener

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, my friend has an '04 GSXR750 that he has the Ohlins steering dampener on...he doesnt like it and wants the round style. He is willing to sell me his Ohlins piece, but I was wondering if it will work on my 08 FZ6...I know the mounting bits will not cross over to my bike, but I am hoping the dampener shock itself is the same and all I would need to buy is the mounting parts to put it on my FZ. anyone know anything on this?

fxclm5

Reaction score
Visit site
do you really need a steering dampener? Or is it more of a bling bling factor for you? I doubt anybody would know since you have a very special situation, if i were you i would go on the ohlins website and see if the Item #'s matchup. :thumbup:

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
do you really need a steering dampener? Or is it more of a bling bling factor for you? I doubt anybody would know since you have a very special situation, if i were you i would go on the ohlins website and see if the Item #'s matchup. :thumbup:

I suppose I dont need one, but I like the way they make a bike feel...I dont care for bling.

Its too bad Ohlins site is horrid.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The dampers are normally universal, its all in the mounting. If you can find a good place to mount it, go for it.

Steering dampers arent cheap, if he gives it to you for a great price...why not try.

-bryan

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
The dampers are normally universal, its all in the mounting. If you can find a good place to mount it, go for it.

Steering dampers arent cheap, if he gives it to you for a great price...why not try.

-bryan

I have put an email in to Ohlins tech support to see if I can buy the mounting parts separate from the dampener.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
sad to say...an Ohlins rep contacted me today and said that only 05-06 FZ6's can use the Ohlins steering dampener. Oh, and get this...the mounting bracket alone is $495!!! what a RIP OFF.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I just got home from a rather spirited run...and i am telling you this, whether you are holding onto your bars too tight or not, if you are riding the FZ somewhere near it's limits...you will want a steering damper!

Not going into detail, but the FZ does shake it's head, when pushed hard!

Pity about the cost, but i say that cost is irrelevant, when it comes to safety.

:thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got home from a rather spirited run...and i am telling you this, whether you are holding onto your bars too tight or not, if you are riding the FZ somewhere near it's limits...you will want a steering damper!

Not going into detail, but the FZ does shake it's head, when pushed hard!

Pity about the cost, but i say that cost is irrelevant, when it comes to safety.

Not to doubt your set up, but is this happening alot? Might want to do some suspension tuning as well. Cheaper than a stearing damper.

-bryan

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to doubt your set up, but is this happening alot? Might want to do some suspension tuning as well. Cheaper than a stearing damper.

-bryan

Suspension is tuned, and it only happens when your way out west so to speak, going pretty hard, not noticeable at all at lower speeds. I know of another FZ6 rider who experiences exactly the same thing.