ohlin shocks ya403

Imrunning

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All!

My first post and hopefully its not my last. I'm going to purchase an Ohlins shock for my Fz6s2 07 from a guy selling for cheap which is the YA 403 (with preload and rebound).

My stock shock is currently getting soft when riding 2up (on 5th setting) and constantly hitting my rear wheel when pass speed hump. Was planning to get an ohlin Ya 723 (compression and rebound) but cost a bomb plus nice looking with external gas chamber. :)

my question is, with this good deal of an aftermarket shock used for a year plus, should i grab the shock or save up a bomb and get the higher end ohlin or just change the settings to number 7th on the stock shocks?

needed honest opinion on stock shocks vs aftermarket shocks, are they any better interms of (comfort and handling) when riding 2 up?

Thanks!

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't help much on the shock question, I'm still on original (04 fz6n - 56k miles).

I'll just say - :welcome:

Best forum on the web.

:needpics:

Cheers,
Mac.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just changed my shock, and can tell you that the difference between a quality aftermarket shock and the stock one is night and day!

The stock one has pretty much no damping, it's very bouncy and rubbery, it's really not that good, this is even more apparent once you start doing things on the forks.

I personally didn't go for a very fancy fully adjustable shock, just because i don't think i am a good enough rider to make full use of it. I went with a Shock Factory Mshock, which has preload and a combined compression/rebound control, and it feels amazing!

M Shocks

If i was you, i would check the price to get the used Ohlin serviced, and see how much cheaper than comes up to, and if the difference is enough buy the used one.
If the price is close to the new one, then buy the new one.

Here is the thread i did about it:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/53102-final-motorcycle-update.html

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Of course the Ohilns shock will be better but new a shock won't mean you will stop bottoming out with two up riding. The spring will determines how much weight it takes to bottom. Likewise the preload will only adjust ride height and not change the actual spring rate. So if you buy the Ohlins you may want to get a spring that will work with your normal weight load.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course the Ohilns shock will be better but new a shock won't mean you will stop bottoming out with two up riding. The spring will determines how much weight it takes to bottom. Likewise the preload will only adjust ride height and not change the actual spring rate. So if you buy the Ohlins you may want to get a spring that will work with your normal weight load.

Good point, any idea what you guys weight combined?

Like steve mentioned, there is no point spending big money on a shock if it has the wrong spring for you.
I weight 185 lbs and my shock came with an uprated 13.4mm/kg spring (stock is 12.99 mm/kg).

If you guys are both on the heavy side, a bigger spring will definitely be needed, even on an aftermarket shock.

FYI, 5 on the stock shock is the correct preload for a 185 lbs rider.

Last edited:

Imrunning

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you so much guys for highlighting that the spring plays a big role in the weight. Alone I'm 200lbs and one 5th stock setting riding alone is perfectly fine but with my wife on it (pregnant at the momment) our combined weight total up to 350lb. and i don't think 5th setting will do the job. should i try 7th setting instead first before purchasing the used ohlin?

Also i will try to find the cost of servicing the used shocks and the cost of having larger springs.

Thanks so much guys!

Imrunning

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyways i've check the specs of ya403, its having the spring part number "01092-54". Also I've learned from a forumer http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-for-sale/50271-sold-ohlins-ya-402-shock-04-07-fz6.html , same spring setting and setting the preload to 30% can take 175lbs.

Does this means if i set the preload to lets say 60% it can take a weight of 350lbs? (pardon my noobness but does it work that way?) anyways i shall do more research on this shock.

Also will look at the mshock you sent (problem is that i'm from singapore and afraid the shipping cost will burn my pockets. nonetheless will still scout for more.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I would try #7 setting, of course the spring will still be too soft and the damping too light but it should bottom less. If you can get the Ohlins shock cheap, do it. A adjustable shock and a good compromise spring for both one and two up riding will make a big difference. Plus with a baby on the way now is the time to spend the money and time on the bike... that will change.

Imrunning

Reaction score
Visit site
I would try #7 setting, of course the spring will still be too soft and the damping too light but it should bottom less. If you can get the Ohlins shock cheap, do it. A adjustable shock and a good compromise spring for both one and two up riding will make a big difference. Plus with a baby on the way now is the time to spend the money and time on the bike... that will change.

Thanks for the advice and will try it tonight. I would love to change if money permits but its not so cash friendly here in singapre hence i have to stay put and make full use of what i have. :)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If money is tight then live without the Ohlins. The FZ6 is still a great bike and fun to ride just the way it came from the factory. Mine is still almost all stock and I smile every time I hop on it.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
thank you so much guys for highlighting that the spring plays a big role in the weight. Alone I'm 200lbs and one 5th stock setting riding alone is perfectly fine but with my wife on it (pregnant at the momment) our combined weight total up to 350lb. and i don't think 5th setting will do the job. should i try 7th setting instead first before purchasing the used ohlin?

Also i will try to find the cost of servicing the used shocks and the cost of having larger springs.

Thanks so much guys!

Like i said previously, the "correct" setting number for 185lbs is 5, at 200lbs i think you should be using 6 or 7, with a combined weight of 350 lbs you guys are pretty much off the charts.

I would definitely recommend you go to 7 when riding two up!

"Does this means if i set the preload to lets say 60% it can take a weight of 350lbs?"

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, going to extremes in preload will not work, you really need the correct spring rating.

Here, read this:

Peter Verdone Designs - Motorcycle Springs

It's pretty technical but gives a good explanation of things

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like everyone has valid points. I will add that increasing the springs rate may not be enough as it requires "damping" to control the motion.

If the road was smooth the suspension sustains the weight without collapsing to a "contact level", increased loads can require increased damping rates to control the motion.

The shock of a speed bump is pretty extreme example while a dip in the road at speed that bottoms the suspension can bounce you off the road. So be VERY CAREFUL RIDING if you're bottoming. It can be lethal when the tire is now absorbing the shock.

I would suggest you do 3 things. If your intent is to ride two up even 40% of the time:
- increase the rear spring rate
- replace the front springs
- replace the fork oil.
Start at least with a 0.95 kg/mm and 10wt. Get the two ends working together as best possible.

Imrunning

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried to set the setting on rear to #7 and its awesome now with 2up! although riding alone can be a little bit stiff, i guess its a trade off for now. Another question (although can be a little noob) now with stiffer spring with adjust preload, does rebound damping help in the comfortness (eg cushion humps and such)?

Also I've quoted for fork spring replacement and oil (ohlin) from my local distributor and they mentioned that they have 2 sets of springs and they will advice accordingly with my ride setup. :)