Ohlin Shock Comparison

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all... been looking into shock replacements, not necessarily for the purpose of enhancing performance, but to lower the FZ6. In doing some research, I found hardracing.com via Hellgate's Ohlin post, and noticed that along with the YA723 46HRC model he purchased, it seems that another model, the YA403 46ER, is not only available but on sale.

So I thought I'd ask if anyone out there has had any experience/exposure to the 46ER, and could shed any light on the differences. Given my primary desire to lower the FZ6, would this suit my needs? I don't want to go through the hassle of doing the R1 mod, particularly given what was posted elsewhere regarding the mixed results.

Thanks!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Lower? What makes you think you'll be able to lower the bike with one of these? Ultimate performance aside, you'd be better off spending $40 to put a R6 shock on there.

I think the ER is an emulsion shock adjustable for preload and compression only while the HRC is a 3-way adjustable remote res shock.

If you've got a 2007+, make sure you buy the kit for your bike, not the older model.

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
Lower? What makes you think you'll be able to lower the bike with one of these? Ultimate performance aside, you'd be better off spending $40 to put a R6 shock on there.

Ah, good call... I'd somehow missed/mixed up info regarding the R6 shock, vs the R1 shock. I'll research that one further, thanks!

You healing up alright, by the way?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all... been looking into shock replacements, not necessarily for the purpose of enhancing performance, but to lower the FZ6. In doing some research, I found hardracing.com via Hellgate's Ohlin post, and noticed that along with the YA723 46HRC model he purchased, it seems that another model, the YA403 46ER, is not only available but on sale.

So I thought I'd ask if anyone out there has had any experience/exposure to the 46ER, and could shed any light on the differences. Given my primary desire to lower the FZ6, would this suit my needs? I don't want to go through the hassle of doing the R1 mod, particularly given what was posted elsewhere regarding the mixed results.

Thanks!

I have seen a third Ohlins option for our bike and it was height adjustable, the YA543 - S46HR1C1L. I've not seen is for sale for a while. According to the Ohlins web site you get 12mm of height adjustment.

Recommendation list

The cost of that shock was about $800.00 or so.

The shock that is on sale at HardRacing is a really good deal! You don't get seperation of the oil and gas, nor compression damping adjustability, but it is a great shock at a great price.

bleego

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the ER Shock off someone on another forum, it is not as fancy as the one most people are getting, but the price was right. By itself I think it made the bike feel ever so slightly taller. Someone mentioned earlier that Ohlins did have a length adjusting version and I am sure you can get it from somewhere. I know that Hyperpro also has the ability to adjust length if you want to go that route. Its also expensive but not as pricey as the ohlins:

$499 - Shock itself
Length Adjuster Single +$99 or
Twin Length Adjust ( I have no clue what that means ) $199

Hyper Pro USA - Catalog

-Edit I noticed there is a seperate listing for overall shock length that does not have a price tag associated with it, you might be able to add a little bit of length for free with that option, but Im not sure

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
guys any reviews on the traxxion kit? and penske shocks?

I've heard very good things about the Penske shocks in general, nothing specific to the FZ6 however. Don't know anyone who has the Traxxion.

Penske makes four different shocks for the FZ, all custom made for your weight and riding style. Their base price is $620 up to $1650.

Untitled Document