Ohio : Saturday 06-13 - Route 555

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be riding Route 555 or The Triple Nickel : The Triple Nickle - Route 555 | Ohio Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com tomorrow.

I will be starting from the Shell gas station at the intersection of Hamilton Rd and Morse Rd in Gahanna. Time is not yet finalized, but I am thinking sometime before 10 AM for sure. Let me know if anybody wants to join.

PS: I moved to New Albany,OH recently from Newark,Delaware recently and beginning to explore the area on two wheels :)

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Southeastern Ohio has more than a few great roads to ride. From the Hocking Hills area all the way to the Ohio River you will find some really fun roads. The Triple Nickel isn't the only one.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know I like to ride, but I'm not going that farBlah
You could rope in Erci and trailer it here :thumbup:

Or make it a two day trip for Motogp at Indianapolis - you guys are welcome to stay at my place.

Southeastern Ohio has more than a few great roads to ride. From the Hocking Hills area all the way to the Ohio River you will find some really fun roads. The Triple Nickel isn't the only one.

Thanks :thumbup: we will surely ride a few of the roads around Wayne national park - planning the route as we go.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
There's also a ton of fantastic little Mom and Pop diners scattered throughout the area in small towns. My favorite closed up, unfortunately, several years back. Four grandmothers ran a small diner that advertised 25 different pies daily. The food was to die for. Sadly, they just got too old to take care of things. The place only held about 35-40 people at a time and the lot was always full. Groups of riders would routinely wait well over an hour to eat, the food was so good.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today was a good ride:thumbup:.
I, for sure will keep visiting 555 and 78 a lot of times this summer. Great roads on 555 until you cross 78, there is a lot of gravel afterwards making it a lot less enjoyable. My favorite route for now is to take 555 till it crosses 78, then take 78 south, loop back and ride back to 555. The road is so good that I would have loved to take a couple of runs on either direction - if we had not taken the 555 with all the gravel and tiring slow turn because of it.

Lots of harley riders and pretty decent pace too. I am still puzzled how the heavy bikes - Harleys and Goldwings were cruising at the same speed even when there was gravel on road. The just cruised by as if there was nothing on the road. Heavy bikes hold the lines better:don'tknow:?

Will definitely check out the diners the next time I ride there, today we got a late(started at 11.30AM) and had heavy lunch before we reached there.

Cant wait to ride these roads again.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

What he said^

I grew up, learned to ride, in southeastern ohio (Woodsfield). There are lots of good rides, eg Rt 26 out of Marietta, Rt 536, Rt 800, Rt 147, Rt 146, Rt 145, just to name a few. One of the guys from down that way had a website a few years ago called the DemonsTriangle or something like that and it showed several of them.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I went back for another run on Sunday too. The first time I had my friend with his new Yamaha Bolt with me, so had to ride slow to make sure I dont lose him in the twisties. Sunday it was all me - so tried to keep a faster pace :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncl4kxBRqCI

I think this will be my frequent haunt for most weekends with good weather. :thumbup:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How often do you see law enforcement on these roads? Or is it like some places where you can have a full day of fun without coming across any?

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How often do you see law enforcement on these roads? Or is it like some places where you can have a full day of fun without coming across any?
I didn't see any LEO in both my runs. Also, I didn't think much of crossing speed limit by too much since the route is new to me and has a lot of blind hilly sections, I took it cautiously. Only when I was sure of the road ahead did I accelerate, and even then it was not waay over speed limit as I had to brake for the next turn. Totally fun road without much interruptions.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Good chance I'll be riding that area in the middle of July. Had a bigger trip planned, but that unfortunately needs to get pushed back into august. I'll post here when I know, maybe you guys will wanna meet up and ride!

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Coshocton has some great roads. If you are looking for more local riders look at ohioriders.net they have lots of local rides. Fz6 site is great for our bikes but generally to spread out for rides. I have the same screen name on both sites.
Cheers

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
SR 83 from Coshocton north toward Amish country is a great ride. Not near as technical as the 555 but enough hills and turns to make it worth the trip. Also has some nice long sweepers on some of the ridge tops. I don't recommend it on a weekend, though, as a lot of folks hit the area headed toward Berlin and Sugarcreek in Holmes County. FWIW, both communities are well worth checking out while in the general are. Roscoe Village, near Coshocton, is also a pretty good place to unwind for a while but I haven't been there for a few years now.

Historic Roscoe Village - The Only Official Website for Historic Roscoe Village

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude!!! We crossed paths on Saturday morning. I was on my way from Parkersburg to Columbus to buy a new helmet at Iron Pony. I crossed 555 on 37, perhaps 20 miles north of Chesterhill. Then I rode through New Albany on 161. Took 33 home to save time.

+1 for Granda's suggestion to check out OhioRiders.net. I just found it, then joined last week. As he said, that's a great place to find out about local rides.

I just learned about 555 from my neighbor about a month ago. I've not been the full length but I've been from the southern end to just south of Chesterhill. Nice road, very tricky and not something to take fast unless you know what's coming up because some of those lovely curves are NOT well marked.

It'd be great to meet you (or others that have chimed in here) when you come through the area. PM me so I see it in my email. My neighbor is a local so he can recommend some other great routes.

Chris

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope to meet some of you guys too. Do post your rides here when you plan one. I will keep this section updated on all the future planned rides.

When I rode from Delaware, I thought all great roads were on the PA/Maryland side of the route and OH had pretty plain - straight roads. Pleasantly surprised by the roads and the great shape they are in here. And add to it, I am just an hour's ride away from most of the roads mentioned. No wonder I put 400miles on the clock just last weekend.

And slowly the chicken strips are disappearing Blah.....

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Years back when Big Muskie was in operation, I did some of the analysis on the oil in Big Muskie's "legs". Also got to spend some time on board as it was in operation. The word "Impressive" doesn't do it justice.

I've driven past it probably 30 times on 77 over the last 8 years and never stopped. I guess I should probably check it out one of these years, that is a big bucket.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay. I plan on making a trip down to southeastern Ohio the third week of July. I will make it there from Chicago on July 15th, and stay until either July 19th or the 20th. If any of you in the area want to meet up and ride for a day (or a few days, I plan on camping in Ohio/West Virginia) let me know. Discuss among yourselves what works best for you guys, and I'll plan to meet up with you when you decide which day works best. I wont be able to do Sunday the 20th though since I'll need the whole day to make it home.