Off-duty military motorcycle deaths spur training

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Off-duty military motorcycle deaths spur training - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

"Military safety officials say nearly all of the fatal accidents occurred with riders on racing-style sport bikes. Speed, a lack of riding experience and inability to handle the high-performance motorcycles were factors in the vast majority of the crashes.

Just 20 minutes after buying a sport bike from a Boston-area dealership in May of 2008, a sailor was killed when he swerved in a sharp turn and struck a wall, the Navy said."

Be careful and know your limits!!!

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
My mate (aussie soldier)told me that in the Australian defence force they used to pay for members to do advanced rider courses and such, due to the hi rate of deaths/accidents.I think it has been cut now due to credit crunch. I guess our servicemen aren't worth $400 anymore!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks loke the military are beginning to realise that it is not the bikes that are killing them it is often the riders that are killing themselves.

When everyone realises that then the numbers will start to drop.

It is a huge waste of life every year. There must be more fatalities in this "Pastime" then any other.

Steve

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Actually from what I know the Australian Defence Force (particularly for Pilots) found that the massive investment in training only for personel to sadly be involved in large amounts of accidents often leading to serious injury and death (therefore money wasted) meant that instituting training for military personal was a very small investment compared to the losses caused by motorcycle accidents.
This is actually I beleive what has led to such heavy subsidisation of the learner and provisional courses (required to get a license), that allow all new riders (in NSW at least) to get basic motorcycle training and be properly taught.

I think the defence force personel get a much alot more subsidisation for doing even more advanced courses though than even this.

All of this I read in an article last year, so I'm reasonably sure its still true, since they found it an extremely worthy investment in the end.

Its good to see others are following our governments good example, its just a shame a similar system hasn't been implemented for car learners.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The latest report is that more Marines died on motorcycles than have died in the war last year (26 on bikes vs 20 in war)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The latest report is that more Marines died on motorcycles than have died in the war last year (26 on bikes vs 20 in war)

Looks like for you it was more done out of interest for the lives actually lost.
Here it was the fact that apparently a fighter pilot costs many many millions of dollars to train, and a few extra thousand for advanced riding courses made that a more secure investment.
I'm probably being a bit cold hearted though, I'm sure the Govt had other concerns :shakehead:

mbramlett

Crazy MOFO
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is seen as an investment, because even your average everyday E-3 has cost the military a lot of money to train, and a lot of time to get him up to speed. In the Coast Guard we are required to take the course to drive on base so that is states that don't require you to take it to get your license it's so much of a pain to park off base and ride to walk to work that you take it anyways. Plus if you get enough people together and get in touch with the right person at HQ they will pay for it. I also just found out that the airforce is teaching motorcycle specific classes. My buddy just took the Sport Bike course and he said that they learned trail braking, body position around turns and stuff like that.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great video. Like he said it is never the bike.....................

"You try to start off as a young rider and end up as an old rider"...that`s a good quote.