Military Sportbike Riders Course--Great experience

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
MSRC—Military Sport bike Rider Course

There has been a rise in accidents among military personnel while riding motorcycles and more specifically…sport bikes. The MSF in collaboration with our Military leaders developed a Military Sport bike rider course to address the problem and help keep our service members safe.

I had the pleasure of participating in the course on 7 June 2012 at Joint Base Andrews, and I must say it was time well spent. Not to mention, the Army made me go ☺. A lot of service members are complaining about the mandate, but it’s FREE training for active duty and retired service members to make us better riders…I don’t get what the problem is. On another note many civilians are complaining because service members are getting the training for free and they are not…I’m not touching that one with a ten-foot pole ☺.

Direct from the MSF press release:
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s Military SportBike RiderCourseSM, developed in close collaboration with the U.S. Navy and U.S. Army safety centers, is now available to all branches of the Department of Defense.
Developed to address the increasing number of military personnel who are involved in sport bike crashes, the MSF Military SportBike RiderCourse is a “next-level” training course for military riders who have completed the MSF Basic RiderCourse. The one-day course consists of approximately three hours of classroom interactive lessons and four hours of on-cycle range time, and is taught by instructors (RiderCoaches) who receive additional training and special MSF certification to teach the course.
“The goal is to provide riders with a way to further develop personal riding strategies and decision-making abilities to help them minimize their risk,” said Dr. Ray Ochs, MSF director of training systems.

The course was just a few hours in the class room, a few videos, and then the rest of the day was spent on the range practicing cornering, emergency braking and maneuvers (swerving, etc.), and there was even information and practice on trail breaking. I wanted to get some video of the course but I was too into learning what they were teaching and forgot to mount the go pro. I did grab a few pics during the breaks though. Nothing too exciting but we all know that a thread is worthless without pics…lol

MSF instructors setting up the next exercise in the background...both of them were great and did an outstanding job:
picture.php

Lined up and ready for the next exercise (note the Sprint leading the way :rockon:):
picture.php

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done it twice at Andrews. Was Mr. Kesselring out there?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet!! We now offer the same course to the public. It's called ARC (advanced rider course). If anyone is interested, call your local MSF organization to get more info. :thumbup:

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
I just took this course this past Wednesday. I also wore my chicken strips clean off, and actually touched peg on the cork screw......Awesome class !! and taught me a ton !!! Highly recommend this class to anyone.