OEM wind guards..

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, if you ever get the Yamaha wind guards for the FZ6 be VERY careful if you're ever going to take them off again. Mine came with the bike and I wanted to replace them with the standard "eyebrows", so I decided to go at it today. Actually I wanted to do the dual headlight mod and had a friend to help out, but it was way too cold and too complicated to do right now. This is when we decided to do the wind guard swap.. First we removed the plastic panels on the inside of the fairing etc, and then we proceeded to removing the wind guards. First there were a couple of screws that had to be removed, and then there were just some clips left holding them in place. These however seemed impossible to remove without snapping the plastic clips - which we proceeded to prove by doing exactly that. A small piece of the clip in front broke off, and now the right hand side wind guard is useless:( I didn't like how they looked very much, and didn't pay anything for them, but I had hoped to be able to make some money off them.. Sh*t happens I guess :rolleyes:
Picture of the wind guards: Yamaha knuckle visor

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody who is willing to pay that much for those bits of plastic is earning far too much money and needs to send some to me. I am so pleased you got them for free.

Steve

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'm with you.. I'm also very happy they were free since one of them broke =P I told the guy at the dealer that I actually didn't want them on, but he said that they were real easy to remove. I decided to try them out first to see if I liked the looks, but they're just too bulky. The stock "eyebrows" look much sportier. When spring comes along I'll take the bike back and make them change the left one. I'm not touching that one after what happened.. I'm afraid the fairing might give next..

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Chris - I'd not seen those before the actually look kind of useful for this time of year. Do they work well? You can probably repair the part where the clip goes with some glue and/or a fiberglass repair kit. And you are correct, the ABS bits are way too expensive, at least the hand guards have a functional use vs. only aesthetics like a chin fairing, or a seat cover.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
They actually work well, especially if combined with heated grips. I just didn't like the look of them at all. The lines are completely wrong when you have the full fairing. Just too wide if you know what I mean.. Are you interested?=P You can have mine cheap=P I won't get the other one off until the weather gets a little warmer though. Might be a while:rolleyes:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They actually work well, especially if combined with heated grips. I just didn't like the look of them at all. The lines are completely wrong when you have the full fairing. Just too wide if you know what I mean.. Are you interested?=P You can have mine cheap=P I won't get the other one off until the weather gets a little warmer though. Might be a while:rolleyes:

No thanks, I do appreciate the offer however. We only have about 3 to 4 weeks of cool weather left. One February we had an ice storm then two weeks later it was 99 degrees, I kid you not. If I still lived in Colorado I'd take up up on the offer. :thumbup:

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
No thanks, I do appreciate the offer however. We only have about 3 to 4 weeks of cool weather left. One February we had an ice storm then two weeks later it was 99 degrees, I kid you not. If I still lived in Colorado I'd take up up on the offer. :thumbup:

You're lucky.. I don't expect to be able to ride before maybe March/April some time. :(

A few pictures of the actually relatively small amount damage:

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
Chris, I may be interested in those depending on how much you want and how much the international shipping would be. They aren't very attractive, but some extra wind protection would sure be nice for my morning commute. I'm more function over form anyway. PM whenever you get around to taking the other one off.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Chris, I may be interested in those depending on how much you want and how much the international shipping would be. They aren't very attractive, but some extra wind protection would sure be nice for my morning commute. I'm more function over form anyway. PM whenever you get around to taking the other one off.

Sure, I'll keep that in mind:) I'll try and find out about the international shipping for you as soon as possible:)

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
FuriousGeorge, sorry I never got around to checking the shipping for you. Today I had another go at removing the hand guard but it was just as stuck as last time. I've now officially given up and am taking the bike to Yamaha next week to let them do it. Shouldn't be a problem getting them to take it off since I didn't even want them in the first place. Here's a really poor quality picture of what my bike looks like now:
IMG_0025.jpg

George, if you're still interested I can check shipping costs for you. Just pm me your address etc and I'll look into it.

PS! If anyone's interested just pm me:)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
FuriousGeorge, sorry I never got around to checking the shipping for you. Today I had another go at removing the hand guard but it was just as stuck as last time. I've now officially given up and am taking the bike to Yamaha next week to let them do it. Shouldn't be a problem getting them to take it off since I didn't even want them in the first place. Here's a really poor quality picture of what my bike looks like now:
IMG_0025.jpg

George, if you're still interested I can check shipping costs for you. Just pm me your address etc and I'll look into it.

PS! If anyone's interested just pm me:)
Woah! You're right! Those things are BIG!!! I was considering them (assuming I could find them MUCH cheaper than new Yamaha prices), but I'm less worried about that. Just going to buy some EXO2 heated gloves next year. :cheer: