"Odd" revving under hard acceleration

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Hello,

While on a beautiful winterride in a cold (4°C) blue sky, I encountered a rather odd "problem" with my FZ6.

When I'm in first and second gear, and I accelerate hard, from 5K to 12K, I'm feeling and hearing something strange.
When approaching 8K, the rev's go up faster then normal, but i'm not feeling any harder acceleration. It's almost like the rear wheel is burning out a little bit when approaching the max BHP-area. The rev's dont go redline while it happens, but it jumps from 8K to 10K, and then back to 8-9K

I have had this a few times now, and it happens only while hard acceleration (about 90% throttle).

I first tought that my front sprocket was worn out, but it's not. The slack on the chain is also in spec.

The only thing that comes in my mind now it that the rear wheel really WAS burning out a little bit.
Is this possible? or is there something else in play?

The pressure in the rear wheel is 2,5bar, and i weigh about 58kg (inclusife gear)
Is it possible that the pressure is to high for my lightweight, so the contact area with the asphalt is to small so it loses traction under hard acceleration?

92fz08

Reaction score
Visit site
What you described is what happens when your clutch is slipping, you can try adjusting the tension on it, sometimes that helps. basically the motors spins freely of the transmission or something like that. The Cold could have a factor in it to, its more likely to happen if your motor isnt warmed up.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I kinda doubt its spinning the tire, but maybe, when the revs go up, is there a harsh vibration? Or is there a bad smell when you stop?

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
What you described is what happens when your clutch is slipping, you can try adjusting the tension on it, sometimes that helps. basically the motors spins freely of the transmission or something like that. The Cold could have a factor in it to, its more likely to happen if your motor isnt warmed up.

The engine was in operation temp while it happened. I never go hard in the first 15 minutes. don't want to hurt my baby :)
I'll check the tension of the clutch cable.

thanks for the quick post.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I kinda doubt its spinning the tire, but maybe, when the revs go up, is there a harsh vibration? Or is there a bad smell when you stop?

There are no odd vibrations. The revs going up quicker than normal, and back down al little bit are very strange and can be heard clearely. As if in accelleration, the clutch is pulled in just a little bit.
I didn't notice any bad smell though :)

dirtbiker1410

That Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Like mentioned above, it sounds like your clutch is slipping under hard acceleration. How many miles do you have on it? Might be a good idea to pull your clutch cover and check your friction plates out. Could also be from some nasty dirty oil in there too.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
I might wish to add that if it was your clutch slipping you would be able to replicate the problem in ALL gears not just first and second. The clutch is between the engine and transmission an so the torque from the motor is the force trying the make it slip, and that torque does NOT change with the gear selected in the transmission.

And on a second note - old dirty oil will not cause the clutch to slip. The oil loses it's ability to lubricate as it gets used - not the other way around.

I am assuming the you are not using standard automotive oil that has anti friction modifiers in it. That will screw with your clutch - but again in all gears.

When this slip happens does or speedo rise as well?

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the chain is slipping, or rather jumping teeth. How are your sprockets doing? Chain tension?

EDIT : Actually read your post this time, looks like you've got that covered. LOL

Maybe it is just your tires. At those low temps, they may not be getting warmed up sufficiently.

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Like mentioned above, it sounds like your clutch is slipping under hard acceleration. How many miles do you have on it? Might be a good idea to pull your clutch cover and check your friction plates out. Could also be from some nasty dirty oil in there too.

I don't know how many miles the clutch has. I bought the bike with 19.000km.
It has now 32.000km.
It needs a service in 800km. I will tell the mechanics to take a look at it.
(I go to a official yamaha dealership)

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I might wish to add that if it was your clutch slipping you would be able to replicate the problem in ALL gears not just first and second. The clutch is between the engine and transmission an so the torque from the motor is the force trying the make it slip, and that torque does NOT change with the gear selected in the transmission.

And on a second note - old dirty oil will not cause the clutch to slip. The oil loses it's ability to lubricate as it gets used - not the other way around.

I am assuming the you are not using standard automotive oil that has anti friction modifiers in it. That will screw with your clutch - but again in all gears.

When this slip happens does or speedo rise as well?

Actually, I don't have the luxury to look at the speedo due to the warp-speed :p
It would be hard anyway, because the numbers are going upward anyhow, so a quicker increase of the numbers would be hard to spot as the refresh rate of the speedo is not realtime.

The oil being used, is the standard oil that yamaha dealers use to service the bike.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Most of you agree that it has something to do with the clutch. In my next service (in about 800km) I will ask the yammie-technicians to take a look at it.

Thanks to everyone here for the quick help. :thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Have you been learning to do wheelies, by chance?

If it only happens in 1st and second, is it possible that there is damage to the transmission? I think that very unlikely; but it's another potential answer. Very high torque in the shortest transmission ratios would be an area that a dog between gears may be damaged.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com

If it only happens in 1st and second, is it possible that there is damage to the transmission? I think that very unlikely; but it's another potential answer. Very high torque in the shortest transmission ratios would be an area that a dog between gears may be damaged.

I have tried to do a wheelie for about 5 times. but only power wheelies in 1th gear (roll off - roll on throttle). no clutch wheelies.
I don't know what the previous 2 owners did to the bike. Anything is possible :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, it sounds like the clutch. Make sure your cable is lubed and free moving. The clutch lever should have play in it. There is a thumb wheel adjustment right at the clutch lever. Make sure you have play in the lever. If the clutch lever is tight the clutch itself may not be fully engaged. The clutch on the FZ6 has a small friction zone. When the motor approaches 8k RPM is when it really starts to pull and deliver it's horse power. This may be when you're noticing it but if it's not adjusted correctly or the clutch is worn you will get slippage.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I agree, it sounds like the clutch. Make sure your cable is lubed and free moving. The clutch lever should have play in it. There is a thumb wheel adjustment right at the clutch lever. Make sure you have play in the lever. If the clutch lever is tight the clutch itself may not be fully engaged. The clutch on the FZ6 has a small friction zone. When the motor approaches 8k RPM is when it really starts to pull and deliver it's horse power. This may be when you're noticing it but if it's not adjusted correctly or the clutch is worn you will get slippage.

Thanks for the tips.
Who knew, I'm really learning stuff here :D

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site

If that scenario was true the slipping would be accompanied by a terrible noise!!